Need popup camper, your advice greatly appreciated!

hastyphoto

Hi all, new here. Awesome site!

I'm looking for a popup camper. I'm torn between hallmark, northstar and fourwheel.

I have a 2011 Chevy silverado crew cab, 4x4, 6'' bds lift, 20'' motometal wheels, and 33'' toyo's

The main purpose for the camper will be work related and I'll be living in it basically fulltime. I'd rather the popup camper over a travel trailer for numerous reasons. One being I can take it anywhere for work and play.

What I'd like is comfort obviously, but my other concern is having to do with the center of gravity stuff, weight etc. I do not want a huge looks to big for the truck camper. I'd like it to either fit just inside the tailgate or I've seen some hallmarks and northstars that look nice just hanging off the back with the extra storage boxes etc. I need it to be almost a daily driver that provides everything I'll need. Toilet, shower etc.

I havent been able to find any photos of a truck similar to mine with any of the above popups mentioned. I'd love to see some if you know of any.

Here's my truck in pics. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide, I really do appreciate it!

The black leer cap is for sale too btw, located in pennsylvania. Paid $1550 asking $700 firm. Excellent shape.

Rob.....20120523_161941.jpg20120509_192532.jpg

docdave

Aspiring overlander
The Hallmark and FWC will probably stand up better for continuous use...different construction philosophies, but both very sturdy. Living fulltime in a short box truck floorplan might be a bit challenging, athough others do it. To some extent it depends on your height, experience and storage needs. I would suggest extending out of the box if you want a shower in the unit. FWC has a unique shower design that is space effecient, but not as convenient. You'll have a smaller dinette in a short box floorplan with a toilet/shower, but for one or two people that probably doesn't matter. FWC may be more flexible for custom design, Hallmark is getting a bit more open to customizing theirs than they used to be. Hallmark will be more expensive, but often has more features and higher grade features. The Ute/Everest at 8.5' has inside shower, The Guanella/K2 have an outside shower, both with inside toilet. The FWC Hawk is shorter but offers a self contained model with a cassette toilet and an inside shower that sits in the dinette area when in use. FWC will be lower profile, and has a pull out bed, allowing a shorter overhang. Hallmark has more underbed storage and a queen bed over the cab. Northstar makes a good product as well, but uses older construction methods that may not stand up quite as well to continuous use, especially off road, but does offer good value for the money.Phoenix offers custom build and good value for the features you get, opinions differ on their build quality, but I've found Rob helpful and a good potential build partner. .......my 222 cents worth

rotti

Adventurer
You wanted a picture, here is mine on a 3/4 ton.

WebsterPassSB.jpgcreek cross.jpg

Docdave covered it pretty well.

Weight will be your enemy on your 1/2 ton truck. With options these campers get heavy fast. I like my FWC Hawk because of resale value (had my previous FWC for over 20 years), lighter than most, and quality construction. FWC does make a version for your "mini" box.....the Hawk is 6.5' long.

If you have any questions on the FWC feel free to ask. Nice truck.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
OOPS It looks like you have a half ton with 5'7" box I missed that....That is going to change your CG issues....probably better stay under 8 foot long. FWC or Phoenix might be better for you , Hallmark Milner might work, but won't have an indoor shower.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Our Northstar has been problem free for 13 yrs now,but the 1/2 ton rating of yours could be an issue even with their TC650.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Weight will be your enemy on your 1/2 ton truck. With options these campers get heavy fast. I like my FWC Hawk because of resale value (had my previous FWC for over 20 years), lighter than most, and quality construction. FWC does make a version for your "mini" box.....the Hawk is 6.5' long.

x2

bob91yj

Resident **************
The crew cab eats up part of your trucks payload. Adding a slide in camper of any sort, especially one with a full head, is probably going to put you over the top of your rated GVW. At a bare minimum I'd be looking for some Load Range E tires/air bags for the rear axle, and a rear sway bar.

My 2500 Duramax could use a sway bar and my camper is designed for a mini truck. Claimed dry weight is 900 pounds.

baja10002012036.jpg

RickNV

Observer
sell the truck and get a van- if your going to live in full time and use as a daily driver a van might be a good choice- If you insist on a truck camper go with FWC and get a smaller model unit to try and keep the weight down....

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I have a Northstar, It's 16 years old but everything still works. They are built pretty solid, good quality. It hangs off the back a little, but drives ok.
I think FWC's might be a little lighter because of the aluminum frame construction.

You may want to beef up the rear suspension, maybe some leaf springs. I went with air-bags because I wanted the adjustability, I dont have the camper on all the time.

My only downside to a popup camper is that you can't really " Stealth Camp " anywhere, unless you sleep on the couch or floor.

And you have " raise & lower roof " to go in there to make a quick meal or something. It only a 5 minute ordeal, but sometimes wish I could just go inside without going thru that process.

Attachments

• P1050776 (800x600).jpg
    P1050776 (800x600).jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P1050343 (800x600).jpg
    P1050343 (800x600).jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00720.JPG
    DSC00720.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 38

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I have an FWC Grandby with an 8 foot floor in my 6 1/2 foot bed Silverado. It's installed with the tailgate down. My Grandby was delivered at 1,435 lbs dry and is pretty loaded. You can get what you want in a self-contained FWC Hawk, but it will be around 1,400 plus or minus. The FWC Raven that's made for the 5 1/2 foot beds doesn't have a self-contained option.

I sold a 2004 Titan crew cab with a 1,300 lbs payload and went all the way to a 1 ton Chevy 3500. I didn't want to deal with modifying suspension and wanted the extra capacity above a 3/4 ton.

Fill you truck up with fuel, you, and the gear you think you'll take and put it on a scale. Subtract that from your GVWR and that's your real payload. I think you'll see pretty quickly you'll need suspension mods and D or E rated tires. I think you will be pretty close to max GW if not over once you take into account all your gear.

hastyphoto

Thanks all, I think I'm really liking the milner so far.

I believe my payload is somewhere around 1,900lbs. With the lift I have there was an extra leaf spring put in and heavy duty springs. Not sure how much that helps. I wouldnt have a problem putting in airbags either. My tires should be good though correct?

Also, I was reading another thread with the tundra and the northstar and I cant help but think if he can do it I can yes? Also, there was another site I found talking about how todays 1/2 tons are more like 3/4 tons. See that here >

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/130350-1-2-ton-vs-3-4-a/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears