Need purchase advice

crazysccrmd

Observer
I'm looking to purchase a RTT to mount on a bed rack on my 2011 Tacoma. It will be used a couple times a month during the summers and stored indoors for the winter months. Every few years it will be used for cross country trips but no serious offroad expeditions are planned. I like the style with an annex that covers the tent entrance and ladder for better protection from the weather and added privacy and space. I need space for my wife and a beagle. I live in Alaska and have been able to find the following tents through various online dealers that will ship up here. The nearest brick and mortar dealer is a 12hr round trip drive and could order CVT tents as another option.

ARB Simpson III - $1485 shipped (with annex added, $1740 shipped)
Tepui Autana Sky - $1900 shipped
Tepui Autana ruggedized - $2200 shipped
Tuff Stuff - $1225 shipped
Smittybilt Overlander XL - $1225 shipped (w/o annex)
23Zero Litchfield - $1725 shipped
Bigfoot Discovery w/ annex - $1776 shipped

Thoughts?

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
When we sold our Wildernest we looked at many different options as a replacement. Bought a small pop-up trailer and hated it (time consuming set up). I built my truck (the main trail rig) with an aluminum commercial shell and a sleeping platform. This set up works great but my wife doesn't like driving my truck so we looked at options for her for when she wants to get out, or when we are going on a road trip.
Her main requirement was easy set up and not having to sleep on the ground. This spring I talked her into the idea of an RTT. At the same time, REI and Backcountry.com started carrying Tepui tents and both companies were also having a 20% off sale.
We decided to pull the trigger on a Tepui Autana Sky knowing that with the discount we could sell it for only a slight loss in $$ if she didn't like it. Needless to say; she loves it.
Initially she was intimidated by the setup process and how the ladder works and she wouldn't set it up by herself. I have set it up with her three times and spent 4 nights in it. She probably has another 8 single setup nights by herself in it since then. She loves sleeping in the thing. I can't get her to stay in my truck anymore. To be honest, I wish I would have skipped building out a commercial topper and built a bed cage to support an RTT instead.
The Tepui is pretty sweet. High quality tent material and easy setup.
We have only used the annex once, but it sure was nice. Lots of space, same quality material as the tent, and with the solid rubberized floor it gave our dog a nice secure place to sleep at night without carrying his 60lbs up the ladder. My wife originally wanted the Kukenam model but is glad I talked her into the Autana due to the option of having the bigger annex.
The customer support at Tepui was also very impressive. I had some issues with Backcountry.com in the ordering process and when I told Tepui about them they said that if I ordered direct from them they would honor the 20% discount that Backcountry was offering.
Overall we are very happy with the Tepui;my wife especially. I want one for my truck!
Sorry for being long winded. Hope this helps.

CSU126

Observer
I cant speak for others brands but I have had two smittybilt XL RTT and had to return them both with in 30 days for different issues. I ended up buying 23zero byron model. Granted there is a big difference in price but there is also a big difference in quality. I quality in the 23 zero is fantastic. I am more than satisfied. I recommend spending the extra money the first time around. I have pictures of both but I cant seem to get them to upload at the moment. Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Thanks guys. I'm think leaning towards the ARB as a known good quality choice. Most of the reviews I've read on the Smittybilt and Tuff Stuff as been neutral at best with most noting them as a definite lower quality product. The Tepui's seem like a good option as well but I can't find a distributor that will ship a standard Autana to AK at a reasonable price.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Have you contacted Box Rocket? Don't wanna put words in anyone's mouth but I seem to recall he is a Tepui rep or something and gives expo members a deal of some sort. And people say he's a good cat to deal with. If none of this is true then, well oops.
I had a Tepui Autuna for about 4 years, zero issues and loved it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

captwoody

Adventurer
As an owner of a Smittybuilt RTT for a year and a half I will tell you this, if you are handy you can fix the small discrepancies and you will have a tent that functions well. have about 15 nights in it now. Initial finish work is lacking(burrs on rod support holes, sewing has holes in roof that needed to be taped and repaired, cinching straps for cover and tent are of poor quality, Ladder sticks.)but for $650 on sale its half of the other tents and in my opinion a good first tent choice if you are not sure about RTT'S. That being said my second tent will be an Tepui . Even after purchasing a Smittybuilt I still got support from Tepui Dealers on my questions and repair solutions on the compact camping website. and I have seen several Tepui's out camping now and they are just much nicer units. I figure I will get 3 years out of my overlander sell it for 300 and it will cost me about 125 per year to take a look then upgrade to the Tepui.IMG_20150111_170601570_HDR.jpgIMG_20141206_140346076_HDR[1].jpgIMG_20141222_071953935[1].jpgIMG_20141206_140359730[1].jpg

Happykamper

Explorer
Tepui tent !!! Out of the ones you mentioned Boxrocket is a great company to do buzz with. The owner is both knowledgeable and a great person to buy from. And yes he takes great care of EP members.
The ARB RTT's are from what people I have met along the trails at best adequate .
There is a member from Oklahoma that is selling a almost brand new Eeziawn for 1800 shipped series 3 I believe. You just have to buy the annex . Not a big leap and one of if not the best RTT manufacturers out there.

F40

Adventurer
I cant speak for others brands but I have had two smittybilt XL RTT and had to return them both with in 30 days for different issues. I ended up buying 23zero byron model. Granted there is a big difference in price but there is also a big difference in quality. I quality in the 23 zero is fantastic. I am more than satisfied. I recommend spending the extra money the first time around. I have pictures of both but I cant seem to get them to upload at the moment. Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions.

What was wrong with the tents you warrantied? I also quite like the 23 Zero tens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears