Need Rotopax vent

86scotty

Cynic
Not sure where to put this, so here goes. On the spare of my Jeep I have a rack for two Rotopax water cans. They are thick plastic if you aren't familiar with them. I have them set up to store upright with the spouts on top so they don't leak in transit and I flip one when camping and use a spigot from GoWesty for water duties at camp.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 12.02.41 AM.png

The problem I have is that there is no vent in the top of the Rotopax when using the spout. It barely flows and 'gulps' all the time. Not smooth at all. I have solved this with previous water cans by pressurizing them with a schrader valve but I would prefer to use this setup as gravity fed only.

Is there a readily available or an easy-to-fab vent for something like a Rotopax that would be reliably leak proof? I need a reliable seal since they are transported in their upright position, so this vent would be on the bottom of the Rotopax.

I'm thinking some type of twist plug with a rubber seal. For some reason a kayak drain plug seems like it might be a good solution.

Thoughts?

pith helmet

That’s a great idea. Not exactly what you’re asking, but if you could find a tee fitting and integrate a hose or pipe that would be higher than water level wouldn’t that work? I think it might be hard to find a truly water tight cap set up.
B2006A13-997A-46C3-8AD2-7AD19A732A3A.jpeg

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
A bulkhead fitting would work, might be finnicky to install though.

That's a good solution but you are right, probably nearly impossible to install. I'll explain why below.

That’s a great idea. Not exactly what you’re asking, but if you could find a tee fitting and integrate a hose or pipe that would be higher than water level wouldn’t that work? I think it might be hard to find a truly water tight cap set up.

So, I don't care about the snap together function of Rotopax so I can put the vent at the very bottom (the circled top in the pic below). Mine are used in the configuration below, right side up on the road where the spout is at the top and flipped upside down with spout down while using at camp, naturally. I do use them off the vehicle, I just flip one at a time as needed. In fact, I only have one spout so I only need to vent one Rotopax. I can transfer water over to the one I'm using.

Untitled by E A, on Flickr

Vent needed here:
Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 12.02.41 AM.png

So, I'm thinking about using this boat plug as a vent:

Better pics in the link. This one would be easy to install, I just wonder if it's not overkill. A hollow thumb screw might do the same job but I haven't found the perfect one yet.

verasule

Is it thick enough to drill and tap?

I've added fittings in pvc and thinnish 5 gallon chemical containers by drilling and tapping with a pipe thread and using a sealant or epoxy on the external threads of a threaded brass reducer bushing before threading it into the container. After that thread in your choice of plug or valve into the bushing.

wild1

Adventurer
Not sure where to put this, so here goes. On the spare of my Jeep I have a rack for two Rotopax water cans. They are thick plastic if you aren't familiar with them. I have them set up to store upright with the spouts on top so they don't leak in transit and I flip one when camping and use a spigot from GoWesty for water duties at camp.

View attachment 739242

The problem I have is that there is no vent in the top of the Rotopax when using the spout. It barely flows and 'gulps' all the time. Not smooth at all. I have solved this with previous water cans by pressurizing them with a schrader valve but I would prefer to use this setup as gravity fed only.

Is there a readily available or an easy-to-fab vent for something like a Rotopax that would be reliably leak proof? I need a reliable seal since they are transported in their upright position, so this vent would be on the bottom of the Rotopax.

I'm thinking some type of twist plug with a rubber seal. For some reason a kayak drain plug seems like it might be a good solution.

Thoughts?
Check the Pops-A-vent, it’s made in Montana and is really slick. I have one in a Roto-pax that I use for a fuel tank for my diesel heater. For your use you should put a little sealant on it before you drive it into the hole you drill.

wild1

Adventurer
Check the Pops-A-vent, it’s made in Montana and is really slick. I have one in a Roto-pax that I use for a fuel tank for my diesel heater. For your use you should put a little sealant on it before you drive it into the hole you drill.
49413875-DCBD-49B9-AAC9-145434D9A51C.jpeg

dstefan

I've added fittings in pvc and thinnish 5 gallon chemical containers by drilling and tapping with a pipe thread and using a sealant or epoxy on the external threads of a threaded brass reducer bushing before threading it into the container. After that thread in your choice of plug or valve into the bushing.
+1 on this. I used a Dewalt drill tap on my Scepter. Screwed in 1/4-20 SS bolt (flat head - the taper seals to the plastic) with a channel cut longwise in the lower half of the threads. Works perfectly for my gravity fed water system. No leaks when hand tightened down. Super simple.

If the water RotoPax are built like the gas one I have there’s plenty thickness to tap.

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I just ordered a Pops-a-vent. Looks like the perfect solution. I'm taking a trip later this month so I'll give it a try and see if it leaks riding around on the bottom of the Rotopax.

WSS

Rock Stacker

Yes they are. Even a 1/8npt petcock would flow enough air. A little silicone would work like loctite and teflon tape to contain leaks. The smaller the vent the better. Air flows much faster than water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears