Need shocks, should I just get a lift kit?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
OK so OME HD kit is plenty fine? If I do run Bilstien shocks, just buy OME HD coils?

No, the OME shocks are matched to the springs, and you will be just fine with the medium duty springs unless you plan to carry A LOT of extra weight. We carry enough gear for a toddler and 2 dogs plus an off-road trailer and the medium duty springs work great.

Doing_Dirt

No, the OME shocks are matched to the springs, and you will be just fine with the medium duty springs unless you plan to carry A LOT of extra weight. We carry enough gear for a toddler and 2 dogs plus an off-road trailer and the medium duty springs work great.
Ok I got it. No I do not plan on being real heavy. That clears it up with your set up example. Thanks!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
After purchasing my Montero with under 30k on it many years ago, one of the first upgrades was tires and suspension.
I installed the Med. duty OME kit. I was very underwhelmed by the spring rate in the rear. They drove wonderful on the pavement with little or no cargo, however after less than five years of off highway use/abuse the rear was sagging when laden and at high speeds did not control the rebound. Tried to adjust my driving style until the rear shocks finally blew a seal in the desert. It was a long, slow drive back home with the rear of the Montero kicking and bucking over every bump on the highway. Pulled the suspension and installed the HD setup. The spring rate suits my needs much better than the Med. duty.

Cheers

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
After purchasing my Montero with under 30k on it many years ago, one of the first upgrades was tires and suspension.
I installed the Med. duty OME kit. I was very underwhelmed by the spring rate in the rear. They drove wonderful on the pavement with little or no cargo, however after less than five years of off highway use/abuse the rear was sagging when laden and at high speeds did not control the rebound. Tried to adjust my driving style until the rear shocks finally blew a seal in the desert. It was a long, slow drive back home with the rear of the Montero kicking and bucking over every bump on the highway. Pulled the suspension and installed the HD setup. The spring rate suits my needs much better than the Med. duty.

Cheers

For the OP's intended use he will be just fine with the OME setup, keep in mind that maybe 15% of gen3 owners will ever abuse their rig the way you do.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I wish I could wheel more often and more harder, so yes the medium duty will be fine.Thanks everyone!

No worries...
...just wanted to let you know my experiences since you stated you were planning on wheeling the rig harder and harder as the years progress.

Cheers

Doing_Dirt

No worries...
...just wanted to let you know my experiences since you stated you were planning on wheeling the rig harder and harder as the years progress.

Cheers
Yeah but that will be years of saving up for good parts. I don't have much extra money...hate to be towed home for skimping out on quality. But yeah thanks for the reply. I think medium duty will fine for now. As I start getting into gears and axles, then it might be time to upgrade to heavy.

1morebike

Adventurer
I got my ome kit on yesterday. It rides nice but yeah it's rough. I think the medium would be nice especially in the front. It is nice the think I can throw a decent amount a weight in and not worry. The one thing that came up was the alignment. Apparently I had all kinds of seized bolts and they said they couldn't get it alinged prefect so my steering wheel is off a little...going to get a second opinion. Anyway the seized bolts seems to be a common thing so don't be surprised. I'll post a pic of mine later today.

Doing_Dirt

I got my ome kit on yesterday. It rides nice but yeah it's rough. I think the medium would be nice especially in the front. It is nice the think I can throw a decent amount a weight in and not worry. The one thing that came up was the alignment. Apparently I had all kinds of seized bolts and they said they couldn't get it alinged prefect so my steering wheel is off a little...going to get a second opinion. Anyway the seized bolts seems to be a common thing so don't be surprised. I'll post a pic of mine later today.
Nice! So you went HD all around?

1morebike

Adventurer
Yeah not totally on purpose I think there was a miscommunication on my point during the order and I didn't realize I went hd till two days ago and it was easy to late to exchange them. Here is pic of it with a set 265/70/16 on it. I hear there is a little break in period so we will see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_20180912_082759996_HDR-2016x1512.jpg
    IMG_20180912_082759996_HDR-2016x1512.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

Doing_Dirt

Yeah not totally on purpose I think there was a miscommunication on my point during the order and I didn't realize I went hd till two days ago and it was easy to late to exchange them. Here is pic of it with a set 265/70/16 on it. I hear there is a little break in period so we will see what happens.
Looks good!

1morebike

Adventurer
After driving it a bit I would say it now rides like a truck and not a car anymore. It feels a lot more planted to the road for sure

Tliska10

Also when I installed my med ome springs, I went with kyb gas adjust shocks as I could not afford the Bilstein at that moment , made a huge difference as my stick shocks we're OEM 155k

mbialick

My 2003 Gen3 OEM shocks seem to handle large bumps well and are in good condition but small bumps/pot holes and corrugated roads are pretty bad up front. I'm looking for a less harsh ride, can I install the Bilsteins with stock springs retaining correct length/travel?
Recommendations for dirt roads/small bump compliance?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears