Need some advice on making offer on LR3

antiacus

Observer
I found an 06 LR3 with the options i want on it at a local dealer.

The dealer specializes in Land Rovers and other "outdoor activity" vehicles and immediately replaced the air compressor and suspension bushings so i don't have that to worry about. After talking with them they said the truck has two more issues with it. 1st, the navi and radio ist kaput. 2nd, the electronic parking brake module needs replaced. She asked if either issue would be something i'm interested in knocking down on the price or if i would prefer they fix the issues.

So it's an 06 with 113k on it. Looks perfect. Asking price is $13,900 (with everything fixed).

Wondering if there's a possibility this could be something as simple as a fuse or if i should just have them fix everythign then negotiate from there.

Thanks for any help :)

DiscoDavis

Explorer
FYI if it helps the parking brake module replacement and adjustment is usually $3000. I would have them fix it it was me. That's rad they swapped the compressor and the bushings.

A few questions for you to think about and probably forward on to them:
Does the front differential have the new updated breather cap (looks like a little chubby snorkel, located next to coolant expansion tank in engine bay)?
When were the differential and T-case fluids changed (should have been 75k service interval)?
Has the tranny ever been flushed/filter changed?
Complete service records available?

As for the radio/nav honestly its whatever. I like the features and the radio is kind of a must, but that is second fiddle to the mechanical state of the vehicle. You could source a new entire center dash console (it comes as one part), and then a new screen if you needed to. Maybe have them or a nearby dealer price that out for you to give you an idea. I believe the radio/fascia/dash console (sans screen/nav display) is a few hundred dollars for the part.

Nice find. Hope it works out for you.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I would have the issues fixed. Replacing the parking brake actuator is not something you want to do on the floor in your garage. While it could be something as simple is improperly adjusted parking brake shoes, or broken wires, I wouldn't take the risk. You could easily spend $3-5k fixing the issues with the navigation and radio, or it could be as simple as a bad bluetooth module. That price also seems high to me. Lastly, I wouldn't trust a dealer trying to sell a truck with known issues for a 'discount'.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
A few questions for you to think about and probably forward on to them:
Does the front differential have the new updated breather cap (looks like a little chubby snorkel, located next to coolant expansion tank in engine bay)?

Yeah, better forward this to the dealer to see if they installed the $20 breather :rolleyes:

unseenone

Explorer
I would not buy it broken for anywhere near that, more like (don't flame) 8ish, I guess I'd have to see it. I'd prefer to buy it working.

NickH

Observer
I was thinking $12,500 with everything sorted. Maybe start by offering 12?

You say all the options, but to be certain it does have all the options, what are they? HSE or SE? Does it have accessories?

12 is still too high for a parking break issue that may cost you a bundle with those kind of miles.

antiacus

Observer
No i was thinking of telling them i want everything fixed and starting off at $12k offer.

I really like that the compressor and bushings were just done.

*edit* Sorry - it's an HSE with third row. Actually it has everything i want except for rear entertainment.

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
$3000 for a module???

******K THAT!! I know the USA can be expensive but that's robbery.

I took the cover off the module and would the brass rod back fully, reset the brake shoes and adjusted it.
It's a £330 part new. I wasn't paying that for something that could get fixed in a couple of hours for free.

Is the compressor a Hitaci or the newer AMK model?
What bushes and arms have been done?

Has it had the gearbox oil flushed?

If it has nearly everything you want, has some of the known issues sorted then it's worth an offer.

LR Max

Local Oaf
$14k for an 06 with 113k on it!!??

Na man.

Go get a good used vehicle that some soccer mom has been driving. Something with full records.

If you do move forward, I'd knock em way down. Then rip out the radio and nav and get a nice head unit installed at Best buy or something. You know...something that you can actually use.

spikemd

Explorer
Way to high for those miles, especially with those issues. Run away! Any rover with electrical gremlins means many more gremlins that haven't surfaced yet. That truck is worth 9 tops with those issues. Even if they are fixed, it isn't worth more than 11 or 12k.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I swear the radio and nav not working is a pinch weld in the right side floorboard harness. I will check with my fellow techs. Either way if it is the pinch weld it still means the sunroof drain my be broken and there may be water beneath the carpet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78