Need some input on building a Weekend Warrior WJ on $4 grand budget

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Keep it simple, you will be much happier. I would use it as is right now....and see where you NEED updating. I would probably add some sort of recovery and armor...that's about it. It looks like the wheel size itself is big, 18 or better? not positive on that, but dial back to a smaller wheel to get more rubber between it and the ground and a good AT tire and you should be very surprised!

This is my current wheel size 245/65 R17

And yes it does have a 2" Budget boost right now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456358604.076654.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So I got a phone call from Nick aka Kolak and this is what we came up with and I placed my order. No going back now.

OME Springs
10mm spacers
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks
IRO Front Adjustable Trackbar
JKS front sway bar discos
IRO rear extended swaybar
New Spring Isolaters all around
Moog Super Trail Boss Steering Stabilizer
Moog HD Tie Rod Ends
Powertrax No-Slip for my Dana 35

Nick said I should have everything within the next few weeks. Should keep me busy for awhile. Now I just need to find some Armor and some Jeep JK take offs. Also ordered Plans to build a front bumper with winch and rear bumper with tire carrier from Flatland 4x4 and hoping to get started on that also.

Any suggestions on a winch?

Nice list, with all of this nice weather you should have that installed in a weekend. As for winches have a look here https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wj+winch+suggestions

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great vehicle!

My buddy has a very similar WJ with a 2" budget boost, and 265/70R 16 Falken Wild Peak tires. Very impressive capabilities even with the open center differentials.

Your list of goodies should work out awesome.

Two good tow points on the front, and a snatch rope, couple of Bow-Rings, and a set of gloves would get you a long way.
A winch hangs out pretty far off the front, unless the front cross member is modified.
Here is a great website with a lot of different options for the WJ bumpers, tow points and such.
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/bumpers-amp-recovery-bumpers-recovery-grand-cherokee-wj-19992004-c-47_56/

For the winch, go light, like the Warn M8000 with synthetic rope. That is a workhorse of a winch, without a lot of weight or bling. A great winch to tuck in tight with a modified front cross member.

For winch support gear, if you get synthetic rope, the snatchblock choice becomes important, so that it doesn't chafe or trap the rope.
Might want to hold back on the front bumper and winch for a while. You'll be impressed with the capabilities with your mods.
Look forward to following along on your build and adventuress! :beer:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Things are moving along. Just picked up 10 JK Hard Rock take offs. Should have enough now for my trailer build also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456530812.469824.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capercrew02

Observer
I just finished my front flatland 4x4 bumper with winch, and have the rear cut out waiting for time. I did order the bumpers through g&g fab though so they did the cutting for me. Excellent front bumper for the price! I'm very happy. Easy build also. I am experiencing a bit of flex when winching though, so I'm looking for additional bracing options.

ElkinsEric

Observer
I just finished my front flatland 4x4 bumper with winch, and have the rear cut out waiting for time. I did order the bumpers through g&g fab though so they did the cutting for me. Excellent front bumper for the price! I'm very happy. Easy build also. I am experiencing a bit of flex when winching though, so I'm looking for additional bracing options.

Pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger