Need some quick help. FS bike opportunity.

matt s

Explorer
OK I know I can read for years on this bike vs that bike but I needed opinions on a specific opportunity I have.

Local shop has one Trek Superfly fs8 left for nearly 1/3 off as it is a demo and frame size is right for me (6,1)

Dilema. I am in the market for an XC bike or a trail bike (rather a trail bike I think but $$$). My budget is 2K plus a bit (I know that's not much in this world). Getting a nearly 3k bike for 2 is very tempting. I was going to wait for spring but it's a pretty good deal I think, I just don't know if its the right bike for me.

My riding. 36 year old guy who is rapidly descending into the bike world. I ride 25-30 miles of trail a week now, miles going up weekly (well till snow comes). Mostly single track, some engineered, most not. It's Alaska, we have mountains. I don't ride the mountains for the daily stuff but running mountain passes on the odd weekend happens. Currently doing it all with a hardtail $600 bike with bottom of line rockshock up front and loving every minute of it. It's time to upgrade.

So do I jump on this bike, or do I spend the winter in full internet glory reading reviews etc and hit the shops in the spring?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Don't buy a bike only on price! I have and it hurts twice, when you sell the wrong bike for a loss and buy the bike you should have got first. Shop for right bike for your riding (style and location) I don't know either, but if this was a demo bike, maybe they will let you ride for an evening ride on your normal ride..... good luck - I love getting a new bike!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Thanks and good advice. I rode it today and it was sweet. Real nice, in fact...... :)

Matt,

I think you would do great on that bike, Hatchers pass, Johnson pass heck take it out to the Wrangles. Sorry I'm a little bias to Treks, my Wisconsin roots, owned many myself, road, MT and raced sport league with factory workers back in the day on the "Y's" and some of their carbon hardtails. My old $600 gary fisher still has wheels that my roommate built for me back when he worked at the Waterloo plant lacing wheels for Trek. Going to a 29er for your size would make sense verse the other 26, 27.5 or 650b bikes on the market. I would bet you could find some wider snow rims and make a semi-fat bike for winter riding with it if you wanted.

I guess the question is what other bikes are you looking at that are full squish 29ers? Like the Trek Fuel EX5, Salsa Spearfish 2 Salsa Horsetheif 3, Giant Anthem X, and on the more $$$ side Voodoo Canzo, Santa Cruz superlight 29?

Last edited:

p nut

butter
My only advice is try a bunch of bikes before plunking down the cash. Even if it means waiting for the next season and paying a little more. Buy once, cry once.

Also, even though I own a '83 Trek, I despise that company for what they did to Greg Lemond. I'll never buy from them again.

matt s

Explorer
yeah the super light 29, tall boy, heckler in 27.5, horetheif etc.

Doesn't matter, I bought the superfly and have 35 trail miles on it since Wednesday. I love it, love it love it. How did I even ride before this, it's a whole new world. And it's FAST. The reviews were dead on with that one. Now I just need the weather to cooperate for a little while longer. I know it's november but I am enjoying the extended riding season.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
yeah the super light 29, tall boy, heckler in 27.5, horetheif etc.

Doesn't matter, I bought the superfly and have 35 trail miles on it since Wednesday. I love it, love it love it. How did I even ride before this, it's a whole new world. And it's FAST. The reviews were dead on with that one. Now I just need the weather to cooperate for a little while longer. I know it's november but I am enjoying the extended riding season.

Right on. These fall rides are fun. As a ski bum I find it hard putting snow off, but this summer has been one of my biggest biking summers of all time up here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998