Need some soft wall advice

xtremexj

Adventurer
It's been a while since I posting anything, but I started another trailer build back in 2017 that I got a good start on, and then several other things got in the way so it sat for a few years. A couple years ago I finally got back on it so I could clear it out of the garage. As the pics show, it's a pop up design, and I had the soft walls done by a local tent and awning shop that has been in business for over 100 years, so I thought I would get what I asked for. So, despite sending them pics of how I wanted the windows and covers done, opening downward like a 4WC with velcro, I assumed I would get what I asked for. Anyhow, I get the call that my order is done, no calls to tell me that there were any issues, pick it up and head home. I open the package, and find that the flaps are on the outside and roll upwards. These are located nearly 7' off the ground and there will be an awning on the passenger side of the trailer, so no good at all. I call them to explain the mishap, and they promptly tell me that they wouldn't do it the way my pictures showed, but they would be happy to change it to how I wanted for a charge. Obviously, I lose my ********, and tell them to pound sand. Now that it's almost complete, I'm trying to figure out a way to fix the windows without buying all new material and starting from scratch. I had thought of just cutting out the section with the windows and trying to reverse them, mount them to another piece of Mercury material, and then use HH-66 to attach the repair section, but I'm open to ideas. Anything you very intelligent people can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• trailer_v2b.jpg
    trailer_v2b.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 17
  • trailer_v2d.jpg
    trailer_v2d.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 16

klahanie

daydream believer
FWIW for many years FWC made the storm flaps 'hinged' at the top. Presumably for better weather protection. This style did allow the user to have a small overhang (for water) when rolled up, like in your picture.

And some folks went further and made frames to form an awning for the windows.
(below, not mine)

1713460105258.jpeg

Height issue might be addressed with a small step.

Not what you wanted - and paid for - I know but maybe there is some saving merit to this style. (?)

HaveeBear

I can understand your frustration. Is it screen material next under the outside flap or plastic window? It will influence what to do next.

I like the idea just posted by @klahanie.

xtremexj

Adventurer
This might be a silly suggestion, but can you turn the whole thing inside out and flip it so they roll down?
Unfortunately not, as the lower outer edge has a lip that is a water deflector.
I can understand your frustration. Is it screen material next under the outside flap or plastic window? It will influence what to do next.

I like the idea just posted by @klahanie.
The layout of the window is flap and window that can each be rolled up independently, and then fixed screen. I can reach up off the fender steps, but the issue is the passenger side will have a 270* awning which won't allow any access to the window once deployed. Also, if you have to suddenly close them in the middle of the night, it makes getting out and closing them a PITA.

HaveeBear

Unfortunately not, as the lower outer edge has a lip that is a water deflector.

The layout of the window is flap and window that can each be rolled up independently, and then fixed screen. I can reach up off the fender steps, but the issue is the passenger side will have a 270* awning which won't allow any access to the window once deployed. Also, if you have to suddenly close them in the middle of the night, it makes getting out and closing them a PITA.

Ok, so they totally reversed the installation. Have you considered reversing the whole side panel. From your picture it looks like the seams near the corners/edges would be easier to unstitch and resew instead of cutting out the window. I think reversing the panel would provide the widow you were attempting to create. Is the material to the inside the same as that of the outside?

Excellent work on the build btw!...the small "teardrops" really need pop-up roofs.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Ok, so they totally reversed the installation. Have you considered reversing the whole side panel. From your picture it looks like the seams near the corners/edges would be easier to unstitch and resew instead of cutting out the window. I think reversing the panel would provide the widow you were attempting to create. Is the material to the inside the same as that of the outside?

Excellent work on the build btw!...the small "teardrops" really need pop-up roofs.
The stitches as the ends are actually where I have a velcro seam so I can remove each section independently for installation. Not really reversible.

Thanks for the compliments! It's almost everything I wanted to incorporate that I learned from my first build. We love that first trailer but we're getting older and wanted some more refinements without going to a larger travel trailer.

llamalander

Would adding zippers to the screens allow you to manipulate the tent flap from inside? Seems like a non-critical seam, so you could try your hand at it or have anyone with a HD sewing machine get it done.

As an aside, I had a long-established glass company make my shower doors 3 times because they couldn't bother to read the fully scaled drawings I gave them. 3rd time it was close enough to make work, but I don't assume competence simply because someone hasn't gone out of business for a long time-

xtremexj

Adventurer
Would adding zippers to the screens allow you to manipulate the tent flap from inside? Seems like a non-critical seam, so you could try your hand at it or have anyone with a HD sewing machine get it done.
Not sure. I had considered cutting off the plastic window portion and just moving that inside but still mulling over ideas.

Thanks to everyone that responded. No easy solution as I thought, so I'll have to see what I come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman