need to boost my solar capability

AndrewP

Explorer
If you buy one of the cheap power meters, and I suggest you do, Install Anderson Powerpoles on it and the rest of your gear. Then you can place the meter anywhere in you system and measure power production and consumption. That's how we figured out the dead power film panel in a friend's truck. There are several good threads about Solar Set ups on IH8Mud that apply directly to your situation:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rubicon-solar-power-experience.867614/

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/camp-solar-setup.876038/

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If it helps any my huge home system is limited to no more than 16 panels / micro inverters on a single 12 guage harness. My panels are 285 watt panels.

Fhunter1

Adventurer
Ok a little more info to share but I still need to get more data.

Battery is a deep cycle 100 Amp/hr. Fridge draws 2.9 amps with the compressor running so I need to get an idea of duty cycle 40%? Almost everything else draws almost nothing from what I can see. My water pump pulls 1.9 amps but the duty cycle is very low. A couple of minutes max 2 x a day when out and about.

The solar controller is a PWM type.

I still need to see what my existing panel is putting out which is a bit tricky as it is inside the garage for the winter at the moment. I may try to route the wiring outside if I can get a nice day to take a reading.

If I increase my storage capability by adding a second battery I still need to be able to charge both of them with my solar panel. So I think adding a second battery at this point only delays my issue unless I solve the charge side.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You are correct. Adding capacity only delays the inevitable.

Safest best by far for determining consumption like a fridge is to go by MFG average rating. Reading amp draw at any given moment is not going to tell you the entire story, ever.

That said, with that fridge and only 100AH, my first suggestion is to double your capacity.
If you have a TRUE deep cycle, then you only have roughly 50AH worth of usable battery, and not nearly enough to keep the fridge happy.

Once you sort out the capacity, then you need to address solar.
Just a matter of running the numbers...

ikk

Adventurer
Ok a little more info to share but I still need to get more data.

Battery is a deep cycle 100 Amp/hr. Fridge draws 2.9 amps with the compressor running so I need to get an idea of duty cycle 40%? Almost everything else draws almost nothing from what I can see. My water pump pulls 1.9 amps but the duty cycle is very low. A couple of minutes max 2 x a day when out and about.

The solar controller is a PWM type.

I still need to see what my existing panel is putting out which is a bit tricky as it is inside the garage for the winter at the moment. I may try to route the wiring outside if I can get a nice day to take a reading.

If I increase my storage capability by adding a second battery I still need to be able to charge both of them with my solar panel. So I think adding a second battery at this point only delays my issue unless I solve the charge side.

Will you be doing stationary camping, or are you on moving daily? If your on the move you can always have you vehicle charge your second battery as well as your one connected to your fridge. As for stationary camping invest in more solar and keep your PWM. A good MPPT controller is expensive put that money towards panels.

Checking your solar now could give you a base reading, but the reality is that while out and about you may not have full sun, trees or mountains may be blocking not giving you the most ideal conditions. Even heat is a factor with solar.

Fhunter1

Adventurer
I am looking at a stationary setting. The Jeep seems to be able to top off the battery very easily if we are moving from place to place but that isn't the reality. I like to set up camp and then use it as a base for a couple of days before moving on to the next place

What is the easiest way to tell if I have " a TRUE deep cycle" battery? The battery is a Trojan brand I can check check the model tonight if it is helpful. That battery is heavy so I hate to add another one and loose the storage space in the nose compartment. Of course if that is what I need to do then I guess I need to do so.

ikk

Adventurer
Not sure of your budget but you could look into a lifepo4 battery. The battery can be run down to 20% without battery damage, you could get a smaller battery with the same AH you currently have, and they claim around 2000 cycles as well as weigh a lot less. 100AH lifepo4 is about 45lb. But it comes at a price. In the end I still think you would need around 100 watt solar no matter what direction you go. I saw on Craigslist in my area 120 watt ridged solar panel for 100 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman