Need to replace the G9

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thinking of selling my G9, lensmate and waterproof case etc. in favor of a more user friendly unit for me. I had delusions of learning more about the finer art of photography but went through the G series never doing more than leaving it on AUTO with a polarizer lens. That, sadly, is 95% of what I do with it. Have some pretty awesome shots just doing that, btw...

Love what the polarizing lens does and like the option of adding things down the road, but I baby the seemingly fragile G9 and leave it behind often - using the impressive but highly limited iPhone 4 camera. Pathetic, I know...

So, what I'm looking for may not exist:
  • Great image quality that can be blown up easily for the rare instance I actually manage to get a photo worth keeping.
  • Fast - I've missed a lot a shots due to processing but this may be a by-product of the image quality
  • GPS - love how the iPhone geo-tags the photos. Makes iPhoto that much more useful and fun!
  • Nice maco and micro options. I'm not willing to get close enough to the bear to catch the nuance color differintial between his right and left eye, but I'd do it from a tripod on my Bradley fighting vehicle! Like the fun uber close up stuff too.
  • Rugged. Would like to be able to carry it around on rainy hikes and / or have the option of a waterproof case. I put the G9 in it's case just to protect it if I'm in windy or shaky terrain. I imagine some cameras today are waterproof a la a lot of the new GPS's

So, I'm open for suggestions! Thanks

ywen

Explorer
m4/3 cameras..

If you want the best video available, including the DSLR category ook into the Panasonic GH1, GH2 cameras. These cameras also have built-in EVF.

If you want more compact size, look into the Panasonic GF1, GF2, Olympus EP-L1, EP-L2, Panasonic G3 cameras. These cameras are all pretty rugged, I actually purchased a GF1 based on this guy's Himalayas trip review of the camera http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/. I've since bought a GH1 because I wanted the 24P video mode.

shameless plug :D - I'm selling me GF1 here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...F1-m4-3-camera.-Mint-cond?highlight=panasonic

with the m4/3 cameras, the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens is a must buy.. incredible sharpness and extremely compact. For my upcoming trip to China, I'll be taking only the GH1 + 14-42mm Olympus zoom and the 20mm lens. The entire kit in small case weighs less than my 5D Mark 2 with a 50mm lens.. it's insane how well the m4/3 format travels.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior