Never Renogy - App Terrible

Awkragt

Adventurer
We've actually had pretty good lucky with the Renogy system of a DC-DC charger and 100 amp hour battery, working great for 8 months.

It's just thier app is terrible. We're out in the middle of nowhere Boliva, no cell, no wifi, and the stupid app wants you to login to tell you what your current battery percentage is. Can't login, can't use the app. I just want to be clear how renogy is not good for any serious overlanding. Avoid it. Get the good stuff.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Agreed. It actually worked pretty well when I first got one of their batteries. Then it quit working at all. That's when I found their customer service was pretty bad. After a year an update came out so I could connect again, but only if I was connected to the internet. When you have internet, the app is very slow.

On the other hand, my Victron app connected to the DC-DC charger works perfectly and quickly.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
s just thier app is terrible. We're out in the middle of nowhere Boliva, no cell, no wifi, and the stupid app wants you to login to tell you what your current battery percentage is.

No doubt. I've had this issue as well. Absolutely stupid design.

Awkragt

Adventurer
No doubt. I've had this issue as well. Absolutely stupid design.
It's feels so ridiculous to attempt all this community integration for a battery manufacturer. I would totally be a fan considering the 8 months of rough roads we put this through but the few times when we're way out, I don't want to be trying to figure out how to login.

fratermus

FT boondocker
It's just thier app is terrible. We're out in the middle of nowhere Boliva, no cell, no wifi, and the stupid app wants you to login to tell you what your current battery percentage is. Can't login, can't use the app. I just want to be clear how renogy is not good for any serious overlanding. Avoid it. Get the good stuff.

There are at least two Renogy apps. IIRC the old one (Renogy BT app) does not have that requirement.

tencentlife

Yeah I can't stand that the whole point anymore for all these companies is harvesting our data first, provide us with useful goods and services second, even where the goods are top-quality. I have a Victron PV charge controller as part of my home system. It has 7 or 8 pre-set charge output profiles selected by turning a screw-pot, but I could adjust profile settings to my own unique situation and monitor remotely by BT if I used their app. Went to load the app, and first thing they demand my email before it will download. Well I don't need another stream of junk emails to delete every day, and I don't care to have them harvesting data from hardware I paid good money for, that I OWN. But I don't own it, I guess, they insist on part-ownership for me to use the full capabilities I was naive enough to think I paid for.

When data collection for their purposes is paramount, their apps won't work unless they can get their little pound of flesh. So, out of signal, out of luck. Have hard-wired workarounds for out in the bush is the lesson for me.

llamalander

Victron works by bluetooth, the range is not great, but if it's on your truck you can read it, no other connection required. They do actually address issues and problems with their updates, and sometimes they will require an update (usually takes me 2-3 minutes) to begin operating, but I've never needed an update when I was out of cellular/data range. I check my components for updates before a trip and have never been shut-out of using any of them.
Victron ≠ Renology, it is actually high quality equipment.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Our Victron app works perfectly every time, and works quickly, it takes at most 10 seconds to connect. The Renogy app takes many minutes when it works at all.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior