New 1995 Montero SR Owner

mtnblue

Observer
A friend was absolutely raving about his 1995 Montero LS a few months ago and it set me on a search. For over 3 months I have been watching the local Reno/Sacramento Craigslist for a gen 2.0 in decent condition with low miles, leather interior and a light colored exterior color -not having a black interior. You'd think I was looking for hen's teeth. Nothing, nothing, nothing and I was considering going with a gen 3 as they are a little more plentiful. Well, low and behold..... on Tuesday afternoon I spotted a white 1995 SR with brown leather and 103K on it in Nevada City, CA. I called the guy and he told me he only used it for snow driving and that is why the mileage was so low. He was the original purchaser and religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles. He was asking $5500, a little more than I wanted to pay- but to tell you the truth, I haven't seen ANYTHING out there with that kind of low miles - let alone an SR!. I called him and told him I would pay full price and not to sell it to anyone. I went down from my home in Truckee, to Nevada City and the car was in AMAZING condition. He covered the seats from day one because he was using it for snow driving and the seats didn't have heaters- so the seats were brand new under the covers. It was a little dirty, so I cleaned it up and it looks brand new as it had been garaged all its life so the paint was brilliant, except for a couple of rock chips near the tires. So now I will be watching this forum more often.

I've done some searches for the following questions, and haven't come up with anything, so maybe you fellow forum members can help:

1. Headlights- any recommendations to increase the output of the stock 1995 orange colored light? I haven't seen any threads on these older Monteros for increasing the brightness. I spend a lot of time on narrow, dark, windy roads and I'd like a little more penetration of the night terrain.

2. Seat covers- what is a good brand that fits well with this truck. I wanted a leather car so the dog hair wouldn't stick to everything, but I want something other than leather to sit on when it is hot. recommendations?

3. Are there any bolt in factory (or looks like factory) options for the left dash gauge that shows a compass and air temp? I'd like to see what's out there for something different.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
A friend was absolutely raving about his 1995 Montero LS a few months ago and it set me on a search. For over 3 months I have been watching the local Reno/Sacramento Craigslist for a gen 2.0 in decent condition with low miles, leather interior and a light colored exterior color -not having a black interior. You'd think I was looking for hen's teeth. Nothing, nothing, nothing and I was considering going with a gen 3 as they are a little more plentiful. Well, low and behold..... on Tuesday afternoon I spotted a white 1995 SR with brown leather and 103K on it in Nevada City, CA. I called the guy and he told me he only used it for snow driving and that is why the mileage was so low. He was the original purchaser and religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles. He was asking $5500, a little more than I wanted to pay- but to tell you the truth, I haven't seen ANYTHING out there with that kind of low miles - let alone an SR!. I called him and told him I would pay full price and not to sell it to anyone. I went down from my home in Truckee, to Nevada City and the car was in AMAZING condition. He covered the seats from day one because he was using it for snow driving and the seats didn't have heaters- so the seats were brand new under the covers. It was a little dirty, so I cleaned it up and it looks brand new as it had been garaged all its life so the paint was brilliant, except for a couple of rock chips near the tires. So now I will be watching this forum more often.

I've done some searches for the following questions, and haven't come up with anything, so maybe you fellow forum members can help:

1. Headlights- any recommendations to increase the output of the stock 1995 orange colored light? I haven't seen any threads on these older Monteros for increasing the brightness. I spend a lot of time on narrow, dark, windy roads and I'd like a little more penetration of the night terrain.

2. Seat covers- what is a good brand that fits well with this truck. I wanted a leather car so the dog hair wouldn't stick to everything, but I want something other than leather to sit on when it is hot. recommendations?

3. Are there any bolt in factory (or looks like factory) options for the left dash gauge that shows a compass and air temp? I'd like to see what's out there for something different.
Dude. Awesome. My first car was a white 1995 SR. I have no answers to your questions, but definitely post some pics.

paj54

Observer
Congratulations. I have a RHD 94 Pajero shorty with the 2.8 turbo diesel. Love the truck. I have had the [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Trail Gear came seat covers from Cabelas on my truck for 4 years and they have worn great. They have paracord ties on the sides to tighten them up and the backs have a couple of pouches and webbing.[/FONT]

Monty85

Observer
Congrats !! I love Gen 2 and 2.5 also. I searched for couple of years until my Gen 3 popped up on craigslist which was cleanest Montero I had seen with 108k miles just like you. So I went ahead and got it. You got to post some pics ;)

For your question#1 , if you dont want to change headlight or bulb setting, then may be you can wire headlight directly from battery using a relay. My buddy with FJ80 did that 10 years ago when HID/LED wasn't popular yet. He said it got brighter and changed output from yellowish to more whitish color. I never did it myself, so I cant promise.
For other two questions, I dont have answer but I use generic cover from costco and fits pretty well. Your seats might be narrower though.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow, that really is like new! As for headlight upgrades, you can swap in the gen 2.5 assemblies for better light pattern/output and bulb options, I have a spare set if you do consider this option.

mtnblue

Observer
It amazes me that a vehicle that sold in 1995 for almost $40k (which was a lot of money then), can be bought now with low miles on it for a little over $5k. Montero really screwed up their marketing, eh? If this were a Toyota, it may have cost me $10k. And from what I read, this is a better vehicle. Go figure.

mtnblue

Observer
Another question I forgot to add: I am 6'3" tall and the driver's seat is a little cramped when the seat is upright. Is there any quick mods I can do to the seat to make it slide back another 2", other than getting a welder to modify the bracket?

jaccox23

Adventurer
What would you want for a set of the 2.5's? Are they bolt in's?
The housings are a direct swap The bulbs are different but I would suggest buying a patch kit that has relays built in to run directly off the battery as suggested. Gen 2.5 lamps use 9004 bulbs and i can't remember what the gen 2 uses but it is different. This will greatly increase light output plus no more oxidation on the lenses since the gen 2.5 are glass. Look up daniel stern lighting and contact him about making you a patch wiring assembly and never look back. As for seat covers the Cabela's Trail gear covers are the best bang for buck cover that will allow you to utilize the armrests. Plus they are very quality covers. I've spilt drinks got mud and grease on them and they clean up very well.

mtnblue

Observer
Everything works. It looks and drives like I just took it off the showroom floor (except for some rock chips on the lower panels). After I cleaned it up, it looks brand new on the inside and everything works. I think I got the deal of a lifetime. I am VERY happy. I have no plans on doing anything major to it at all. Other than seat covers, headlights and maybe a winch bumper with a hydraulic winch that I can transfer between the front and back. This thing is SWEET! I am a gold miner and I go out and find mining claims to sell. This is the ideal vehicle for me. Short, capable and I don't drive fast on dirt roads as the dirt roads I drive on would destroy your vehicle if you drove fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998