New 2.5 Montero Owner!

HausOfChoi

I've been lurking this forum for a couple of years and have contemplated buying a 4x4 for a while. I've gone through quite a few cars mazda 3, e46 m3, and c250 (selling now) and just got a 1999 Montero winter package with 106K miles. It's not pretty (clear coat is basically done for on the hood and roof) and needs new valve cover gaskets and I'm guessing rear cam o-rings. Also, I just threw on a CEL; so I am getting that checked out. Hopefully nothing too serious as it drives like a champ.

The plans I have so far:

Valve gasket covers
Cam o-rings
Spark plugs
AC recharge
Sand imperfections and plastidip the whole car?
Replace speakers

I used this link for part # references: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-5-(NL)-Part-Numbers-and-Specialty-Tools-List

I have minimal/no experience wrenching so this may be quite a challenge but looks like there is information out there (but not too many diy's with pictures). So during this process, I may try and document everything I am doing for the not so mechanically inclined.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and learning more about this beast.

Cheers

Alex

IMG_0687.jpg

*not sure how to rotate this picture

Last edited:

BOPOH

Explorer
Hi, congrats on the purchase, im in same boat with you, i just got my first 98 montero 3 days ago and looking for all kinda DIYs but can't find anything that i need. I also i got CEL but it's for cylinder 5 missfire, apparently spark plugs were never replaced

HausOfChoi

Thanks man! Yeah I just bought an OBD reader and it threw a P1400 "Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction". Just found the part online and will do a write-up once its done.

TheMole

Adventurer
Congrats on picking up a Montero! Your plans to tackle the maintenance first sounds like a solid start.

HausOfChoi

Thanks for the input guys! Just ordered the cam seals and faulty sensors. I decided on painting the car with monstaliner, which is pretty popular on some of the other forums. This is going to be an expensive and busy winter. If there are any Bay Area folks that want to meet up, holler!

Also, not sure if this is a dumb question, do I have to replace the Intake Plenum Gasket and GR Tube Gasket when performing the valve gasket replacement?

Thanks!

Last edited:

frenziedpace

OMXZva9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman