New 2006 Ford E450's w/wo ambulance box

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
With nafta they are supposed to be allowed across the border but I ran into some problems when bringing a 2001 across. You can reach out to ford and get a letter stating that they were built to USA specs. All ford needs is the vin. As long as they consider it a passenger vehicle at customs the tax is minimum. If they consider it commercial truck the tax is 25%. (Intended purpose carrying goods or people)

This seems very odd. My cheapest ambulance was well over a $100,000 new with one of them approaching the $300,000 mark. It appears that someone bought 1,000,000+ in ambulances parked them and wants to recoup 10%. Honestly wondering why the Canadians haven't bought them all.

The 2006 6.0 one of the best years to buy, they are detuned for the vans and the van 6.0 never had as many issues as the trucks. I simple egr delete and you have a very good truck if this checks out.

Hi

Did have the chance to read our Expo article on it that I linked earlier? The story checks out. I spoke with the owner personally twice. They are not all finished, the production line was stopped when the contract was in jeopardy so they are in various state of completion. He had about 15 initially, sold 4-5 and had about 10 left (as of last night). This is an unbelievable opportunity for people who are okay with the 6.0 and can do some work themselves.

ripperj

Explorer
Any thoughts on how the seals and such would be after sitting for 15 years?
I can’t imagine that throwing a new battery in and changing all the fluids = a brand new vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pdidh

I'm interested. How tall is the box interior height? is it tall enough for a 5'10" male to stand up? PM and we can discuss deposit.

RuralAlaskan

Here is an article on importing vehicles from Canada:

Manufacturers have gone through all sorts of hoops to get around the tax. Subaru put jump seats in the bed of the Brat. Ford put seats and windows in the back of he Transit Connect to get around the tax only to take them out once they arrived stateside, while Mercedes disassembled the Sprinter van, shipped the parts (drivetrain etc) separately, and then reassembled them in South Carolina to avoid the tax. Maybe a patient can be considered a passenger and therefore this thing is a passenger vehicle.

What could well exempt these vehicles are the fact that they were built in the USA. Duty specifically states "Foreign made vehicles imports into the US"

These things are cool. Just when you think you've seen it all....

Athansinis

I'm interested. How tall is the box interior height? is it tall enough for a 5'10" male to stand up? PM and we can discuss deposit.

I had hoped for 5'10" standing height too, but it sounds like the interior height is 66 inches. This is a dealbreaker for me as my partner's back is fused and even a good bump of the head could cause her serious back pain that would ruin a trip. That said, the seller seems like a good guy, and if the box was a bit taller, I think I'd be moving forward on one of these (or at least figuring out the logistics of getting it into the US).

Deshet

Adventurer
Any thoughts on how the seals and such would be after sitting for 15 years?
I can’t imagine that throwing a new battery in and changing all the fluids = a brand new vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Other than needing to replace the tires due to age, I really don't think anything else would be deteriorated. Especially because they have been stored indoors. The diesel fuel is likely still good

as long as no animals have set up shop and chewed wires they are probably fully functional. and the tires will probably make it anywhere in North America safely.

If these have the emission stickers stating they were built to USA emission standards they will be welcome until the US. The Canadian sticker is slightly different. Some vehicles have them both. Some Fords were built in the United States but for export only.

I would almost think the cost of the warehouse space per year is worth more than all the vans are per year

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
If these have the emission stickers stating they were built to USA emission standards they will be welcome until the US. The Canadian sticker is slightly different. Some vehicles have them both. Some Fords were built in the United States but for export only.

I believe they do. Denis told me they were in the "special" Ford system (can't remember the specifics) and built to NA specs. His company have converted other ambulances before and shipped them back to the USA. He really knows his stuff, he is not just some "peddler". It was a complicated case but he seems excited now to see that some people may be buying them and converting them.

Chuxideas

Hi

Did have the chance to read our Expo article on it that I linked earlier? The story checks out. I spoke with the owner personally twice. They are not all finished, the production line was stopped when the contract was in jeopardy so they are in various state of completion. He had about 15 initially, sold 4-5 and had about 10 left (as of last night). This is an unbelievable opportunity for people who are okay with the 6.0 and can do some work themselves.
Hi, I very interested and would like to know how to contact the owner. Is the contact info still correct from the thread posts from 2018? Thanks!

Deshet

Adventurer
I believe they do. Denis told me they were in the "special" Ford system (can't remember the specifics) and built to NA specs. His company have converted other ambulances before and shipped them back to the USA. He really knows his stuff, he is not just some "peddler". It was a complicated case but he seems excited now to see that some people may be buying them and converting them.
That sounds great. I reviewed your article and it seems real. I am just sharing my experience crossing the border. The USA emission label is easy to spot and that should help anyone interested. Also the US exchange rate is favorable you can save save a decent amount paying in cdn.

The other countries in North America have varying emissions requirements. The 7.3 diesel became California emissions compliant in 2000.5 across the USA. Many 7.3 diesels were sold across Canadian after 2000.5 that did not have the glow plug module versus glow plug relay. This prevented them from meeting US emissions and they didn't have the USA emissions sticker.

If someone can bring these across as passenger vechiles it's a no brainier for a new truck. Less than 50% of the cab and chaiss price.

I think my experience would have been smoother using a broker. Luckily I had temporary registration in my state. I would use a broker and a transporter since they are E450's.

I am interested in buying one for my father-in-law' if someone buys one please share the information about your experience.

Thanks

gaetzjm

I purchased one of these vehicles from Denis in February 2019 and shipped it from Quebec to Vancouver, BC.
I can confirm Denis was very professional and a pleasure to deal with. Everything went smoothly. The vehicle was as described, as in new condition, with 35 km / 20 miles on it.
My vehicle now has 7133 km / 4432 miles. It was converted to 4x4 at 1137 km / 707 miles by Clydesdale / Sportsman Light Truck here in British Columbia. I will be posting a For Sale ad in the Expo Members Classified section in the next week or so. A few trim bits yet to finish on the interior.
If you have any questions regarding the original purchase from Denis, shipping arrangements from Quebec etc., PM me and I will answer as best I can.

Attachments

• E450AMBO.jpeg
    E450AMBO.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20200325_114129.jpg
    IMG_20200325_114129.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210217_143838.jpg
    20210217_143838.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 204
  • 20210217_143740.jpg
    20210217_143740.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 207

Goldenboy

Hi everyone,

My name is Denis and I am the seller if these vehicle's.

Since the publication of the article (big thanks to Christian Pelletier), I have received numerous phone calls, emails, PM, text messages etc.

I have spent all the necessary time responding to your requests and be as transparent as possible about all the technical details you have requested. For some of you located on the west coast, we need to deal with the time zones as I am located the east coast of Canada. I will ask for your patience if your request is sent at 8:00 pm in the evening as I might be in bed at that time. BTW, my english accent on the phone and my writing are terrible I know, and I am sorry about that as my mother tongue is French ? . I am doing my best to get understood.

I still wan't to keep up responding to everyone as best as I can in the shortest delays possible. I will kindly ask for your patience in the delay I can respond to your requests. I have received about 150 requests since last Thursday. You are all important and potential customers to us. Do not hesitate to send your request again at: d.dore@medevac-rescue.com if you have not heard from me in the past 24 hrs.

For those who might think the I might be another fly by web seller, I can assure you that I am an honest guy, I know the value of 1$ and I care about giving you the best experience for your project. If I don’t fell it, I will tell you of the bat. Feel free to ask previous customers on the forum I don’t mind.

I have decided to give you a few tips if you are located in the USA.

Because I want a seamless experience for everyone, my suggestions are the following:

Try to find a registered importer as well as a custom broker and get a quote to have the vehicle cross the border;

Get a quote to haul the vehicle from Trois-Rivières Qc Canada to your location. Try to contact a transportation company equipped with a Landoll trailer. It’s easier than a drop deck because a Landoll as a set of ramps enabling the vehicle to roll straight on the platform. Otherwise, it’s required to use a rool off to have the vehicle levelled with the drop deck and also involves additional costs;

Ask your RI & CB to deal with a large port of entry. Usually, the custom agents are more familiar to deal the process & paperwork with commercial transaction.

Keep in mind that all theses vehicles are considered “incompleted” meaning they are not roadworthy unless they are inspected & properly licenced. This is a sinequanon condition for Canadian or US future customers. As they can’t be inspected “as is” because they are incomplete it becomes a catch 22 until your project is completed. In order word, it will be simply impossible for you to consider crossing the USA/CANADA border with an incomplete vehicle. No worries for the chassis it’s self as they were manufactured in Michigan USA. They were part of a direct order of 150 units from the Quebec government at that time.

For those of you who have already contacted their own Registered Importers or Custom Brokers, I will supply you with the necessary pictures required at the beginning of next week. I will also prepare a pdf document that will include a series of pictures for each truck available showing the variable completion stages.

These pictures of the VIN and EPA stickers will be for quotation purpose only because your final choice of the vehicle chassis might change during the process.

Also, should you RI require a picture of our National safety Mark lablel, again, it will be impossible for the following reasons:

On our ambulance production line, this label was installed on the door jam only when the vehicle was completed and the quality control manager had approved the vehicle base on Ford QVM’s ambulance standard and and the local ambulance regulations of Quebec BNQ 1013/110. Again, these vehicles are in an incomplete construction stage, so this final step of the manufacturing process (quality control) was not performed at the time. So, the second stage manufacturer sticker is not available.

To help some of you the physical dimensions of the offered vehicles, please see bellow:

OAL vehicle: shy from 24’-0’’ bumper to bumper
OAW patient compartment: 96’’
OAL patient compartment: 163’’
OAH patient compartment (rear) 102’’
Cab to rear axle: 100’’
WB 158’’
Interior height: 66’’, sorry it is a local regulation and an ambulance must clear the Emergency garage door. We have old hospitals in Qc ?
GVWR: 14 500lbs
E450’ frame weight: 5730lbs
Bone stock aluminum patient compartment structure with doors :± 2000 lbs no hardware at all.
The shipping weight is actually 9000 to 10000lbs according variable completion stages

I hope this message will help

Have wonderful day & Stay safe!

Best regards

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior