New 2010 4runner advice

Orlyg1521

Observer
Just bought a stock 2010 'runner with city/hwy 68,000 mi. I have $2500 to get this started. I am wanting to get this off road worthy, not a crazy jacked up rig. Thinking of an OME or blistien 3"lift to start, thinking or a front hitch and winch setup. Any advice would be appreciated

darien

Observer
It depends on what you mean by "off road worthy". It's off road worthy as it sits, but if you want to increase the amount of trouble you can get into and out of, then good tires are all you really need. A modest lift (2") won't hurt anything. The next step after that is some training and experience before you spend any more money on bling. You can take that 4Runner around the world 5 times with good tires and basic maintenance. Most of the things people do to their vehicles are done for cosmetic reasons - keep that in the forefront of your mind.

mike h

Adventurer
Tires and sliders are where I start. Tires you will enjoy every drive. Sliders because crunching the rockers/doors is one of the most common, and expensive, driver errors we make when things get suddenly interesting. A mild lift is always useful. Winches are one the things we rarely use, save it for when your build is very complete and you've run out of other things to buy.

A weekend of training at OEX was the smartest thing I ever bought, and it transfers easily to every rig you will ever drive, ride in or watch being driven.

inthefive555

Wanderer
With the suggestions above, you should have enough for a decent roof rack and sone recovery gear. I don't know where you live or where you plan on wheelin, but snow's just around the corner and you'd be surprised at what sorts of trouble a shovel, some boards/planks and chains can get you out of.

Orlyg1521

Observer
I agree it doesn't take much to improve the 4runner I just wanted to address some of the shortcomings in the design I live in Oregon so the suggestions are right where I was thinking I needed to go thanks for the advice

zidaro

Explorer
as above- tires are your best bang for the buck, and a set of sliders will save you heartache and bodywork. Skills and some basic recovery gear will get you out of MOST situations or keep you from getting there in the first place. Thats where id start.
A winch is overkill unless your going somewhere deep and solo. I have one on my crawler and use it, i have one on my Tundra and have only used it to help others so far. They are VERY useful when you need one, but other equipment can duplicate and is alot cheaper and more versatile, read- HILIFT, chain, snatchstrap, blocks, shovel, axe, sand, etc... :)
Stock 4runner will take you so many places it will blow your mind. Spending $ to lift your truck is not necessary to get out on the trails reliably.
That said, a fresh, quality suspension will not only improve the looks and give you clearance for larger tires- its also a major performance upgrade if done correctly. When your ready to lift, i recommend a quality set of Coilovers- not a cheap spring replacement or one of the adjustable coils using different lower spring carrier heights. Spend the money where it counts. the front coilovers, UCA's, and the rear springs. All those shiny adjustable links and other suspension trinkets are great but not truly necessary unless your going way up.
I am running 2.5 ICON's with rears to match and front UCA's. The uca's allow you to recover correct steering geometry with the added lift and tires. Just last night my wife and i were out for a cruise, they continue to blow my mind. My '10 runner absolutely rails on washboard fireroads and it feels like we are sitting in a tub of pudding. Very comfortable and no question about the major improvement in handling over stock. It does matter, just not mandatory ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears