New 2013 Tacoma TX Pro

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
2013tacomatxb.jpg
2013tacomatxa.jpg

I recently purchased a 2013 Tacoma TX Pro and I am looking for recommendations. My plan is to prepare the Truck for a trip to Europe and Africa in 2014. I plan to ship the truck via container in March of 2014 to Rotterdam. The first recommendation I am looking for is what cap I should put on the bed? I am not concerned with lots of creature comforts, just something that protects me from the rain and keeps my gear relatively safe? I have been looking at ARE, Swiss and Leer? Anyone have any other recommendations? I plan to make other mods to get the truck ready for the trip and will do it over the next 6 months.
Thanks, Andrew

2013tacomatxc.jpg
2013tacomatxd.jpg
2013tacomatxe.jpg
2013tacomatxf.jpg
2013tacomatxh.jpg

I added an ARE Top to the new truck this week. I decided to go with ARE because I had one before, I like the quality and it is relatively secure. I will continue to post pictures as I make more mods in the coming months!
-Andrew

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I know the truck is brand new but I would hit your local craigslist and find a used cap in good condition, for a fraction of the price of new and get it color matched at a trusted body shop. Someone will prob correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can use a cap from 2005 and up. If you're going to hang out in the back during rain storms, a high rise cap feels huge!!! Enjoy setting it up, nothing like a blank slate.

Cheers,
Jorge

Dark Shark

adventurer
Congrats on the truck! I agree about craiglist but if you want a new or "perfect" one I loved my snugtop. If you want to put anything on top ever get one that can handle weight on top. Personally I hate high rise caps........to "old man" for me lol.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
Congrats! Leer is one of my faves and I agree with the high camper for space. Also I'd consider side locking windowless cap vs windows (for security and accessibility). Sounds like super fun!

-Daniel Kent

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Yep, high rise caps look very "old man". I have a cab high on my reg cab and it looks sleek. If you are getting a rooftop tent, make sure you reinforce the cap or get one already made for extra weight. My cap didn't like my weight on the roof and now the window frames are kinda loose. They don't leak but they vibrate in the winter time and make a horrible screeching sound. My fave is ARE and you can save tons of money buying a 2nd. Make sure you ask about that at a dealer. I bought a 2nd for my 08 Tacoma, it was already color matched but had some "damage" (I couldn't find the damage) and I saved 800 dollars on it. Oh and I would never buy a new cap again...just saying.

Cheers,
jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears