New 3.6L Pentastar User's Report?

jdemonto

My local Dealer told me January or February 2011, Jeep Customer Service advised me to check frequently and now you post 'order-able June 15th 2011'...As with all things Jeep, you have to mix these all together and decode to mean, 'You can believe it when you see it.'

John

Your local dealer is mistaken. The jeep will be a 2012 and be order-able during the normal order cycle which is june 15 and a delivery in early September.

jingram

Adventurer
John,

If anybody at a dealership would have an idea it would be Jason. He is actively involved in the Jeep community with a great reputation and works for a high volume dealership. His information has always checked out to my knowledge.

Jason,

Sort of sad to hear this news... was hoping Jeep would do a mid season refresh... and get us the 3.6 a bit earlier.

Jack

jingram

Adventurer
Oh come on... now even the Dodge Journey has the 3.6! That literally makes every vehicle that had a v6 in some form before has received the pentastar except the wrangler.

Dodge Journey

Last edited:

Jeff Dodgen

Explorer
My father-in-law called me this morning to ask if he could drive me 200 miles from the house to go pick up his new Overland Grand Cherokee and drive it back home...over the mountains. He really had to twist my arm. I haven't looked at all the numbers because I am not in the market but I will say the rig was nice. My wife has a 2007 4X4 4.7 WK to compare it to. The new Grands handling was AWESOME. The new engine was inpressive for a V6. One thing I noticed was it didn't have the get up and go from a stop sign that our WK has, but on the highway passing at speed it was just as strong as the WK. I don't know why but also over the mountains here in North Georgia it seemed to handle the climbs pretty easy...even though it seems to have more top end power. Like I said, this is all what I noticed without knowing the numbers or even what speed tranny is in it. Overall I think its a good engine, but the handling and suspension is where it shined I think.

jingram

Adventurer
It will be really interesting to see how this motor shines with different gearing. I think you put 3.73 or 4.10 gears in it and I think most people will be very happy. I know that the new Durango is running 3.06 for example. Not exactly the best gearing to use for that shove you back in your seat kind of feel. I imagine the new Cherokee is using something similar?

Overdrive

Adventurer
Some gas mileage reports with our 2011 GC (V6, 4x4)--these are the mpg per tank during my wife's commute, which is 80 miles roundtrip, about 20 of which is "city" and the rest would be "country" at 50 mph. Sure has a nice cruising range of ~530 miles per tank. So, over the last 2600 miles:

:sombrero:

x32792

Adventurer
I Live In Hope

Some gas mileage reports with our 2011 GC (V6, 4x4)--these are the mpg per tank during my wife's commute, which is 80 miles roundtrip, about 20 of which is "city" and the rest would be "country" at 50 mph. Sure has a nice cruising range of ~530 miles per tank. So, over the last 2600 miles:

:sombrero:

The average of your wife's (5) milage reports is 23.8 mpg. The GC should weigh about 900 more pounds than a stock Wrangler (before bolt-ons), but there's still the difference in aero dynamics and possible differences in gearing and transmission....I live in hope.

John

jdemonto

The average of your wife's (5) milage reports is 23.8 mpg. The GC should weigh about 900 more pounds than a stock Wrangler (before bolt-ons), but there's still the difference in aero dynamics and possible differences in gearing and transmission....I live in hope.

John

Yes, the difference of weight may be negated for lack of aerodynamics. The JK will likely get a 11-12% increase and far more power WIN/WIN

Jason

Awkragt

Adventurer
As nice as the new power/fuel economy looks, isn’t anyone concerned about all the added electronics, or more complexity. Seems like there will be a reduction in reliability for those who are regularly flogging their JK’s on trails, fs roads, and muddy water crossings. For all the times I’ve had water splash over the hood, I’ve only had to replace idler pulleys that got some grit in the bearings. The 3.8 V6 has been in minivans for ages.

nightdrv

I'd love to pick up a new loaded GC. I don't know which motor I'd get, but I'd definately get the air suspension and the new 4wd setup! 17" wheels and AT's would be the first thing I'd change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger