New 3rd Gen 4runner bumper

pcampbell

Adventurer
We finally finished my rear bumper...well all but the swing away tire carrier. Went ahead and got it painted and on the truck so I could make it to the Toyota Jamboree at Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer, TX this coming weekend.

My best friend and wheeling buddy has a welding/fabrication shop and all of the credit really goes to him. I provided some ideas but he made it reality. We are considering selling these in the near future, so this could be considered a prototype. The "production" bumpers will probably be just a little shorter on the sides and will weigh less. Seems like the first one we do with everything is a little too overbuilt and heavy. This one was 150#. Another reason I didn't put the tire carrier on there. Will probably sell this and put the next version on when available.

EDIT (1/17/10) -- See some more (better) pics here: Prototype 3rd Gen 4runner Bumper

prototype_3rdgen_bumper_4_smaller.jpg

proto_bumper1.jpg

proto_bumper2.jpg

proto_bumper3.jpg

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow! Very clean, nice lines -- well done. Give you buddy a meritorious pat on the back.

Be sure to show off that rear tire carrier design when it comes time.

Applejack

Explorer
Very nice! Looks to be nearly the same design I've been drawing out for mine. Though my sides aren't going to hang down as far as yours. What gauge of steel did you use?

pcampbell

Adventurer
The rear main piece and the sides is 3/16". The boxes under the lights are 1/4" just because that's what we had laying around had pieced it together. The production will be formed 3/16" there too. Underneath, the frame mounts are 1/2" plate on one side, 3/8" angle on the other side and bottom. It will be formed 3/8" all the way around as one piece on the production. The hitch goes back to a piece of same size square tubing that goes frame to frame. The frame to frame piece will be moved back toward the rear of the bumper on production. There are pieces that go from the sides to the 1/2" plate and they are pretty heavy too, needing to be lighter.

The sides will be about 1" shorter height on the production.

This assumes we actually go so far and trying to produce them. He is interested so we'll see. We tried keep in mind producing them when we designed it. It's definitely possible.

pcampbell

Adventurer
Also, he had an interesting idea of adding an inset step to the sides. There isn't a ton of room for that, but it looks like just enough. Then you would have a place to put a foot for reaching the tire carrier. It's not super critical (it's not a huge vehicle and you can reach most of it anyway) but might be kinda neat.

Cambo

Adventurer
I would be interested in one, that is a very nice bumper!! Any idea what the production price would be around with tire carrier? Thanks

pcampbell

Adventurer
Price is hard to say at this point. Another one needs to be built with all of the "production" methods and design to figure time. The first always has a ton of wasted effort in design etc.

I'll probably be the one to help my buddy with marketing, website, etc. but it's really all his deal. He's being doing metal fab work forever and is very good at what he does. We have pretty much every gen toyota truck and 4runner in our group. There will probably be stuff for other vehicles offered at some point. He does lots of custom work as well.

Also...Expo mods: if this actually goes production, I'll make sure and make marketing this stuff here legal with sponsor fees, etc. I just wanted you to know I am not trying to get a free ride.

E30RUNNER

Observer
Very nice job!

Also would be interested in the bumpers...

bit of a side note I just put in my LC coils I had laying around this weekend and wow they make my 33s look small.

Last edited:

pcampbell

Adventurer
Very nice job!

Also would be interested in the bumpers...

bit of a side note I just put in my LC coils I had laying around this weekend and wow they make my 33s look small.

I hear ya. I have 285/75/16s and they do look a little puny especially in the back. It all works good though. The bumper helped bring mine down to where it isn't so bad. The LC springs are really long.

E30RUNNER

Observer
I hear ya. I have 285/75/16s and they do look a little puny especially in the back. It all works good though. The bumper helped bring mine down to where it isn't so bad. The LC springs are really long.

I also have 285/75/16 in an MTR and like you said the front is fine but i feel like i need 35's to fill the space the LCs created haha. I'm sure once I start putting some weight back there I'll be alot happier with the lift.

Do you have a front bumper? Got any pics of the whole rig you want to put up?

dustboy

Explorer
Wow, very tight work, and a clean design. I'd say you have a marketable product there.

You could definitely stand to lighten it up, it sounds like you went way overkill on the gauge. You'll bend your frame long before that thing even takes a dent.

And the inset steps would be a very nice addition!

pcampbell

Adventurer
Very nice looking bumper. Can the spare stay in the stock location?

Not with this one. We are going to look at the possibility of making enough room for a spare in the next one. There is a piece that goes from frame to frame that the receiver ties into. It needs to be moved back and possibly angled like the stock receiver is before a spare will fit. Even then, it probably wouldn't fit larger tires. A swing away tire carrier will be an option though. Making it solid and rattle free is a main priority...one of the main gripes of tire carriers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger