New 4x4 project, seeking advice or vendor parts

eporter

Adventurer
Great work! Got any process pics? This thread goes from pre-build details to all finished. Thought it might've gone unfinished but great to see the final result.

Is that thing going to fall apart off road? I picked up a chinook and I'm surprised how flexy the fiberglass is. I've come to learn Born Free and some others build a steel frame of sorts into the body. Not as stout as a bus or an ambo, but better than most RVs.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Great work! Got any process pics? This thread goes from pre-build details to all finished. Thought it might've gone unfinished but great to see the final result. .

Sorry, no process pics. Just a lot of fabbing and welding. The most troublesome was the rear suspension. The spring hanger and shackles had to go under the frame, so I had to fabricate a beefy 8"x8" box for the shackle under the frame (versus side of frame); hence the 7.5in lift. The rest is just "measuring twice and cutting once" and relocating exhaust components.

Is that thing going to fall apart off road? I picked up a chinook and I'm surprised how flexy the fiberglass is.

I hope not; time will tell. I had a fiberglass motorhome (in my sig) and it did survive 4x4ing in Baja for quite some time.

I've come to learn Born Free and some others build a steel frame of sorts into the body. Not as stout as a bus or an ambo, but better than most RVs.

Yes, I agree; the Born Free is solid and with nicer amenities. I have this rig sitting in my property. Real sweet and very unique; but, this Class A motorhome (it's a Rexhall) is even much more unique. So I'm selling the Born Free.

Attachments

• 1-Dually-Front.jpg
    1-Dually-Front.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman