New 8000lb Winch for $175... is it worth it?

spikemd

Explorer
The Costco is in Chicago (Vernon Hills). This particular winch is not on the website, but in the store, so can only be bought in person. Its a Champion C80195 8000lb winch. They have about 8 left according to my buddy who just bought one on Sunday. They were originally $299 and marked down to $175. I am assuming to close out the remaining inventory.

RoundOut

Explorer
FWIW, I picked up a Champion 10,000 lb winch kit at Sam's for $366. It came with the portable tray, long & short electrical cables and plugs, a snatch block, roller fairlead and mounting hardware. I put up the same question as you did in a thread here and another on Pirate 4x4. I got the same answers you did, including several with the "support American" theme, which I totally agree with. For me, it was the occasional use, plus the other kit stuff that made me jump on it.

I figured i got a portable tray, snatch block, and front/back mounting cables AND a winch for the same price as just the tray, front/back cables and snatch block. At least the winch part was cheap if not free.

I have yet to finish installing it (the plugs front and back), since I moved the batteries to the rear, but I am happy with my decision. I do plan on getting a better winch when the money tree in the back yard grows big enough, but in the mean-time, I could get out of a situation that I couldn't have before -- without a lot of sweat, anyhow.

For me, I will manage my adventures to limit the "stuck-risk" anyhow. This is just a cheap insurance policy until I can afford the cadillac solution.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
One thing about whole issue is that, I don't think ANY winch is foolproof, and if you are going to be somewhere where you need to rely on it, you should have a backup Hi Lift anyway, and know how to use it.

I'm still undecided on which way to go. The whole argument is confused by the fact that I've heard of Warn winches failing too. And the warranty won't help you if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.

So you need a back up anyway.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
My Warn 9000i has only failed me once in 11 years. Solenoid went bad after being submerged for a while. Fixed the solenoid (yes you can fix them) and has been fine eversince. On the otherhand, I've never heard of one of these cheaper winches failing in a catastophic way. Usually it's an electrical issue, like all electric winches deal with. Most of the cheap O's are just plain slllooowww. Not sure if a knockoff will last very long either. Buy the best you can afford, I buy American made when I can.
Jason T.

bpj911

Observer
Winches

We use winches every day all over the country. I work for a company that does wind testing. All electric winches fail on us within a few months. The exception to this so far is a Superwinch epi 9000. I don't think it is anything special, just lucky or something. It has been in continuous use for about 6 months. I happen to have a brand new 10K "Champion" under the bench that I have considered sending out in the field. Perhaps a torture test is in order at some point. We always travel with 3 winches for a back up due to the repeated failures. We have started transitioning to hydraulics. One 20K Superwinch so far and the guys love it. But, the point of this is this: These electric winches by Superwinch, Warn ,etc will all give you trouble if used extensively. I would guess the Warn 9.5s seem to last the shortest time in our experience before needing repairs. The Superwinch brakes don't hold sometimes even when new. Milemarker is so slow we won't use them.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I was on the fence about buying a lower cost winch but after hearing about the different problems with these winches and almost nothing negative about Warn winches, I decided to hold out for a Warn.

For me it will be a very occational use item but since most of the time I will need this I will be alone on the trail, this item could become a life or death situation very quickly. What do I want to trust my and my families life on?

For what it's worth you can get a Warn M8000 for $517 shipped from here,
http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT57613.aspx

Sure it's more then the Champion or Mile Marker listed at Costco but it's not $1000 as most people seem to quote.

My .02 worth. :coffee:

I know this is an old post, but I guess Warn just did a price hike.. $959 @ winchdepot now.. nuts...

ExpoMike

I know this is an old post, but I guess Warn just did a price hike.. $959 @ winchdepot now.. nuts...

Holy crap. I have heard of inflation but come on, almost double the price. :Wow1:

It's not like it's a new model or something. I guess that took Warn of my list. Based on what I have been reading, I may look at a Smittybuilt XRC8 or 10. Seems for occational use, it is working well for others.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Over two years now since I have had my smittybilt. Zero problems, and I have had to make quite a few HARD pulls buried in muck up to my doors. Im talking full 100 foot pulls back to back, no issues whatsoever. I have used mine atleast 30 times now, with many being very hard pulls.

I will be getting a 10K for the front of my Jeep, and moving my 8k to the rear.

~James

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Holy crap. I have heard of inflation but come on, almost double the price. :Wow1:
Up until just a few months ago the price was still in the $550 range w/free shipping. It jumped to $600+ and has been climbing ever since. They're even charging a few bucks for shipping now. With the economy in the tank, you'd think prices would decrease.

Wonder what's going on? :confused:

alosix

Expedition Leader
Yeah, and they were selling them for a short time for $450 during the 4wheel parts show a few weeks ago.

Sad, I used to sell them to people out of our shop for $499 shipped. Good little winch. Never remembered to order one for myself though...

Looks like it will be an EP9.0 for me

Jason

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
We have them on sale now for (M8000 with roller fairlead) for $929 Canadian which works out to approx $695.00 USD, so you should find that kind of price south of the border. 2 years ago we used to sell these every day for $695 CDN, Warn did have a huge price increase at the beginning of 2009. The economy may very well have a lot to do with price increases due to a lower sales volume. Just business.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
In my opinion the M8000 used to be the best winch for the money bar non. Now it is priced right up there with superwinch and ramsey which are comparable if not slightly better. It's always bothered me how many warn distributors won't publish pricing for warn products.
Jason T.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Slightly off-topic - I have a Warn M8000 that came with my Defender, so it's going on 15 years old now. I had some electrical connection issues when bought the truck (used) in 1999, but an electrician friend helped me fix those.

What, in your opinion, is the service life of a winch? What sort of periodic maintenance, if any, does the user need to perform? (aside from keeping it clean).

Thanks,
-N

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan