New All Terrain Tire from Nokian, Outpost AT

llamalander

:rolleyes: Just saw this on my snow tires!
Pre-invasion purchase, but I feel a bit foolish thinking that an island nation full of reindeer & saunas could have a tire factory. I imagine they are finding a new place to make these now or we won't be able to buy them anyway...

aknightinak

My bold:

Nokian Tyres manufactures passenger car tires in its factories in Nokia, Finland and in Dayton, US. All heavy tires are manufactured at the Nokia factory except for tires for trucks and buses, which are designed in Finland and produced by off-take contract manufacturers in the EU.

The Nokia factory plays an important role not only in the manufacturing of tires, but also in product development. It is a key location for our centralized product development, prototyping and test runs. In 2022, we bought three hectares of land in Nokia to secure future development opportunities at the Nokia factory.

Our Dayton factory in the US started commercial tire production in 2020, after which we have gradually increased production capacity. The Dayton factory is where we manufacture North American-specific car and light truck all-season and all-weather tires. The Dayton factory has a significant role in our North American growth plan.

Since 2005, we have also operated a passenger car tire factory in Russia. In June 2022, we announced that Nokian Tyres will initiate a controlled exit from Russia and focus on other core markets.

To secure supply of our products, we aim to further increase production capacity at both our factories in Finland and in the US.
We have also decided to invest in completely new capacity in Europe to support future growth. In addition, we aim to increase the share of outsourced production.

Bama67

I started this thread, and still really like the Outpost.
My F250 these are on sees very little highway use. Most of its life is offroad, or dirt roads. These days those roads are snow and ice covered. 50% of the time the truck has a full 275 gallon water tank in the back.
This tire is very good in snow, and pretty good in ice.
i do wish it was studdable and then it would be perfect; sometimes I slid down my driveway, which is something my Gladiator on studded Kenda Klever RT's doesn't do.

Tires are quiet, no appreciable wear really, but only have about 5k on them. But like I said most of that is loaded down with water and offroad.
Overall I'm very happy with them, especially for the price.

sedole

Update: I've now put about 10,000 miles on my set of tires (LT 285/65r18). Still quite happy but road noise has increased a little with the miles. Visually they don't appear to be wearing abnormally or quickly but they're now a touch louder than a wildpeak at3w but still quieter than a ko2.

Still happy with the snow performance, but there were a couple times this winter that I hit a patch of ice and the tires completely lost all grip. They did however grip right up as soon as we passed the ice. No replacement for a true winter tire that's for sure. I think on a lighter truck like my old 4runner winter performance might be a touch better. My lexus is north of 6,000 lbs.

They do ok in mud. I had to haul a few dump trailer loads of concrete to the landfill during this weird rainy season we're having in CO which means very slick clay-like mud in my area. I had no troubles getting in and out with 4wd but I could definitely tell the tires were struggling a little. I was towing about 5,000lbs though. Other trucks were getting completely stuck and needing the tractor to pull them up and out of the mud pit so I count that as a win.

I'm going to lake McConaughy this weekend and pulling a light weight travel trailer onto the beach sand. Will report back how they perform in sand!

wyse

I'll add to the other reviews on the Nokian Outpost AT tires.

The specs for these tires can be viewed here: https://nokiantyres.studio.crasman....s/NT_Outpost_AT_Info_Sheet_August_22_2022.pdf

Vehicle: 2022 Chevy 2500 Double Cab standard bed 4x4 with OEM 275/70R18 Michelin LTX tires. After ~8000 mls I upsized to Nokian Outpost AT 285/75R18's. If you look at the spec sheet in the above link you find there's a really good weight characteristic to these tires compared to other manufactures of similar type tires.

I've put about ~8000 miles on these so far including this Spring's ~3500 mile 5 week trip to and around Utah with my Northstar Liberty truck camper and assorted gear. CAT scale weight on my fully loaded setup was 4800 lbs front axle (I have a heavily loaded front cargo carrier) and 5820 lbs rear axle for a total GVWR of 10,620 lbs. This trip included going over the Colorado pass in blizzard conditions and high speed driving in torrential downpours thru most of Colorado and Nebraska and forest service roads in thawing/muddy conditions and also lots of rough washboard gravel roads.

The tires have performed wonderfully in all these varied conditions and are wearing pretty well (just checked the tread depth and I'm at 17/32 front and 16/32 rear compared to new at 18/32... need to rotate these before my Fall trip out West). So I lost about 1/32-2/32 of tread. Last year on a similar trip with the OEM tires my tread depth loss was about double
that. Although I had a heavier camper for that trip, so its not an apples to apples comparison.

I have not done any rock crawling type driving with these tires so I can't comment on that type of condition.

While its not going to be the optimum tire for any one specific use case, I'm pleased with the compromises and tradeoffs made on this tire and would by them again.

A couple negatives.

They're kinda pricey and don't seem to go on sale... I waited for many months to see if they'd go on sale before buying and it never happened.

I had to place an order with Discount Tire and wait for them to be manufactured as there weren't any of this size in stock... but my OEM tires had lots of life left so I wasn't in a hurry, so the waiting only sucked a little.

wyse

One more thing. I had to go check and it turns out these tires were made in Finland. These arrived and were installed in Fall of 2022 so they were still manufacturing some of these overseas at that point in time.

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 7.13.07 PM.png

sedole

Very impressed by the outpost's sand performance this weekend. Very. Pulled this camper (about 3,000 lbs loaded and wet) plus ~700 lbs of 2 humans, 1 large dog, and gear in the truck onto the sandy beach to camp. Aired down to 18 psi on all four corners of the truck and 25 psi on the camper. 4lo, traction off and revved it out. No troubles getting up and down the small hill-climb/dune to the water. Sand was hot and fine beachy type sand the day we went in and the day we left. During the middle of the trip it rained and firmed up which is some of the photos. Most people with trailers would pay the man in the 4wd tractor with dual tires on each axle to pull the to and fro on the beach. He was charging $75 a trip. More if you tried yourself and got stuck first before calling him. No troubles at all here! Even got a thumbs up and head nod from him as he watched me haul ass back up the dune as we left camp this morning.

53001349222_4bf1c610de_o.jpg

53002093444_1270155fc8_o.jpg

53002420183_f12f9615d0_o.jpg

Just got lucky and Discount Tires found me a set of 285/75r17. I've been eyeing these tires for some time now (just been waiting til the end of summer to get them – but I now need an alignment and I ran over some rebar, which means I've got one odd sized tire now, which might be the reason the steering is off center).

I have always been a fan of Ko2 tires. Recently ran Toyo AT3 tires and just about wrecked my truck in the snow a few times this past winter. The AT3 also got incredibly firm as they wore down. Can't say I'm impressed by the so-called 3 Snowflake rating, nor the 55k mile guarantee. The Toyo was a GREAT tire new, but after 40k miles, can't say I've been impressed w/ the past 20k.

I'm lazy and somewhat cheap, so I'm not into winter specific tires, so when Nokian released this tire, I was all ears. Stoked to read through these reviews and hear what people are saying. I'll be sure to give an honest opinion come winter, and after bashing the tires on Colorado trails and Utah washboards.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I was originally looking for Nokian 285/75r17 and couldn’t find any. I noticed 285/75r18 was available so I drove 4 hours and bought a set of used 18” wheels for $100.

Hopefully 35’s fit my Chevy 2500.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
35’s fit. Had to pull the fender liner forward on the passenger side.

Nokian outpost made in Finland. More aggressive than I thought there’d be. A little more noise and vibration than the ht tires that were on the truck.

IMG_3928.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpeg
    IMG_3930.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 9
I had a set of the outpost AT’s and they are awesome! Very quiet, light, excellent off-road and affordable, im surprised they’re not more popular. They are now making this tire in their new factory in the US and it’s now called the Outpost NAT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior