New Asus netbook with full size keyboard

winkosmosis

Explorer
I happened to find this while trying to help my friend configure a gaming PC. IMO the full size keyboard would make a huge difference in usability for a netbook. Same goes for the bigger screen. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to combine those features with the low power cheap hardware.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/591709/acer-aspire-one-ao751h-1373-160g.html

Key Features:
• Intel Atom Processor Z520
• 11.6" WXGA (1366 x 768) CrystalBrite Display
• 160GB SATA 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Up to 4.0 hours of battery life (3-cell)
• Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
• Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
• Multi-gesture touchpad pointing device with two buttons supporting circular-motion scrolling
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)

Keyboard84-Key Full-size Acer FineTip Keyboard, Inverted T Cursor Layout, Embedded Numeric Keypad, Hotkey Controls, International Language Support

Edit: I meant to post this in the GPS & computers section

Last edited:

99wj

Adventurer
I happened to find this while trying to help my friend configure a gaming PC. IMO the full size keyboard would make a huge difference in usability for a netbook. Same goes for the bigger screen. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to combine those features with the low power cheap hardware.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/591709/acer-aspire-one-ao751h-1373-160g.html

Key Features:
• Intel Atom Processor Z520
• 11.6" WXGA (1366 x 768) CrystalBrite Display
• 160GB SATA 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Up to 4.0 hours of battery life (3-cell)
• Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
• Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
• Multi-gesture touchpad pointing device with two buttons supporting circular-motion scrolling
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)

Keyboard84-Key Full-size Acer FineTip Keyboard, Inverted T Cursor Layout, Embedded Numeric Keypad, Hotkey Controls, International Language Support

i had the smaller one in my rig, i sold it, but it was the one with the 9 inch screen. i had it sitting in mount on my dash, had a gps module with aerial maps (very important). and had the thing tied into my audio system, AND had a bluetooth mouse on my center console. yes folks dangerous but true, i was browsing my full music library while i was driving haha :)

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Looks like the one I saw at Costco for $350 with a 2 year warranty. Little torn as I liked the size of the 9 inch display but the keyboard size is an improvement. The only bummer is the 3 cell battery. The last one they had at Costco was the 6 cell for the same price.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That laptop has an 11.6" screen. Laptops that size have been sold for many years as sub-notebooks. IMO this is on the verge of being too big to be considered a netbook.

winkosmosis

Explorer
That laptop has an 11.6" screen. Laptops that size have been sold for many years as sub-notebooks. IMO this is on the verge of being too big to be considered a netbook.

But it still has the low cost, low power usage, and LED backlight of a netbook. The previous notebooks with screens of this size were much more expensive-- $1000-2000. This is only $330. Best of both worlds IMO, unless you really need computing power.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That's true. Those subnotebooks were dang expensive.

haven

Expedition Leader
I tried an Acer model with 11.6 inch, 1366x768 screen. While I liked the extra screen real estate, which makes web browsing less of a hassle compared to the 1024x600 screen resolution of most netbooks. However, the Z520 processor and graphics co-processor were really slow. So the computer was returned.

I think we'll start to see laptops and netbooks with slightly faster processors, paired with much faster graphics co-processors this Fall and early next year. In the meantime, I think I'll stick with the smaller screen.

Chip Haven

spikemd

Explorer
I have this netbook and love it. The processor is not too slow unless you are doing video editing, but that is not what a netbook is made for. It is the best computer I have owned. It is small, great screen, and gets decent battery life. I get about the advertised 4 hours and could buy a larger battery later if I want. For me, size, weight (only 3.75 lbs), 11.6" screen and full keyboard sold me. As far as size, I measured it up next to the 10.1 inch screens and it almost the same size, its about .5 inch longer and actually thinner. The size is achieved because the outer 'margin' around the screen is smaller giving you a larger viewing area. Its awesome. :wings:

Mmagus

Observer
If you are considering netbooks it would be good to at least take a peek at the MSI Wind. They have one with a 10.1 screen near full size keyboard and a 8+hour 9cell battery for $376. You can find them on Amazon...free shipping too.
:chef:

haven

Expedition Leader
I find the Z520 processor annoyingly slow for general computing.
The Atom 270 is OK, Atom 280 a little better. YMMV, of course.

spikemd

Explorer
I forgot to mention... I got mine at Costco for $350.

Looking at the original post again, a netbook is not meant for gaming...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have this netbook and love it. The processor is not too slow unless you are doing video editing, but that is not what a netbook is made for. It is the best computer I have owned. It is small, great screen, and gets decent battery life. I get about the advertised 4 hours and could buy a larger battery later if I want. For me, size, weight (only 3.75 lbs), 11.6" screen and full keyboard sold me. As far as size, I measured it up next to the 10.1 inch screens and it almost the same size, its about .5 inch longer and actually thinner. The size is achieved because the outer 'margin' around the screen is smaller giving you a larger viewing area. Its awesome. :wings:

I have been looking at the Costco Acer also. Why is the weight of yours 1 lb higher then advertised? Have you looked into what is envolved in upgrading the ram to 2gb? The other nice part about the Costco is it comes with XP.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I do like my Aspire One netbook w/ SSD but it does have a pretty limited battery life (<2hrs) on the standard battery. For me this is less critical since it's my Carputer/GPS System.

BTW... shouldn't this post be in the computer hardware forum versus the software forum:bike_rider:?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears