New build - 1991 BornFree ford class B 7.3 diesel 4x4

bugwhacker

Observer
55 gallon rear tanks for Ford econoline vans

Well first off I have to say I am glad to be back. I just finished up my surgeries and radiation therapy for thyroid cancer. It seems I am possibly cured but get to take a couple pills everyday for the rest of my life. So now on with the show.

The elusive tank is out there and in good availability by using - http://www.car-part.com , I ended up paying $250 including $20 for gas and $10 for road snacks to go get it a couple hours away. I was able to get everything I needed tank, sender and mounting straps. The only thing I need to mount the tank is remove one cross-brace then add a mounting brace between the cross-brace aft of the rear axle extending back to the cross-brace right in front of the rear bumper. I could have gotten that brace from the salvage yard too but didn't realize I needed it until I got home and started trying to fit it. It is a simple brace and I will just fab one up from some scrap.

20150803_181255.jpg

20150803_181301.jpg

Here is the assembly drawing that does shows the extra brace needed for mounting but I didn't notice it until trying to fit it.

View attachment 55gal aft fuel tank.pdf

ToyotaRoamer86

Adventurer
Awesome build, really getting after all kinds of things. I had seen one on CL posted on here, thought this might have been it! Good luck!

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Just came across your thread. Looking good.
I've been looking at various campers for 4x4 conversion and retrofit.
Almost have it narrowed down to a Chinook.
What are your thoughts "or anybody's " regarding the fiberglass body?
Will it hold up when over landing? What is the best camper for such applications?
Thanks

philos

Explorer
Watching this tank install :)
When my mom had her thyroid removed, our dad told us that the doctors had cut mommy's head off before sewing it back on...

bugwhacker

Observer
As for a fiberglass camper when overlanding I don't know. The van I have is still a metal body van from the conversion cut-line down and not made from wood etc. The top is a one piece fiberglass piece that is very thick with a lot of reinforcement much like an upside down boat and it has a 3 hoop steel cage that bonds it to the steel body. I think once I finish tying it all together it should be very strong but still have enough give so it doesn't just crack and break when it does have some body twist. I don't plan on rock crawling in my unit just crossing some washed out river crossings or getting down to the beach.

I actually had a falcon body that I think would have made a great 4x4 camper and a few people on here have done a great job with theirs but for me being 6'5" and 300 lbs I just didn't fit into it very well. It is a full bodied ford van with the flat part of the roof cut out and a fiberglass high top bonded to it, so you should keep most of the strength of the van body.

The Chinook was on my list for sure when I first started thinking about building a van but after traveling extensively in SA and SE Asia and Europe I decided I didn't want anything any wider than a van - the roads to the places I like to go just are not wide enough for anything else and I was concerned for an all fiberglass and wood body holding up off of pavement, much of my driving will be on sand, dirt, gravel, rock.

Last edited:

VANMAN

Observer
I have a question for you....seems like you researched dana60FF well.....I have a 1990 E350 with a Dana 60FF ARB/4:10 drum brakes....will internals and 35 spline axles fit in a 1999 Dana 60 FF disc brake Housing?....I too want to convert from drums to disc brakes....and do not want 3/4 ton chevy brakes on them....seems as if its hard to get true 1 ton ford components on the 1990 because of the way axle flanges etc are constructed....any thoughts? sorry to hijack your thread! LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle