New camping trailer. Battery/generator questions

BlackdogGS

Observer
I just installed my batteries. They are brand new and my trailer monitor tells me there at 75% charged. What’s the best way to charge them, shore power or battery charger? Thanks

BlackdogGS

Observer
I disconnected the batteries and I’m charging them one at a time with a 10 amp battery charger. I’m using the type of charger that sites on the work bench. I have no idea what kind of build in charger I have.

john61ct

Adventurer
Well, you need to know.

Also wrt the chargers and battery monitor, what specific models?

Have you got a DMM and an ammeter? Hydrometer?

With a FLA bank over 200A, you should have a decent 30+A charger in order to get to 100% Full in 5-7 hours.

With one at only 10A, leave at least overnight.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Well, you need to know.

Also wrt the chargers and battery monitor, what specific models?

Have you got a DMM and an ammeter? Hydrometer?

With a FLA bank over 200A, you should have a decent 30+A charger in order to get to 100% Full in 5-7 hours.

With one at only 10A, leave at least overnight.

Thanks. Yes, I’ll look for the specs on the charger and monitor.

When charging on a trip do you leave them hooked up and charge with a 12 volt charger or disconnect and charge with a 6 volt charger?

john61ct

Adventurer
Once properly commissioned, just treat as one big 12V battery.

Only testing, equalizing etc ideally break up the bank and use a 6V power supply.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Thanks for sticking with me on this.

My inverter is 55 amps (foat, absorption, bulk), and my monitor looks like this:
C33204D9-1979-4FEA-A7FA-EC11DAD08FA9.jpeg

My batteries were at 6.2 before charge but my monitor said only 75% charged. After charging for 10 hours at 10 amps I was at 7.16 (I know it will drop some).

I would like a more accurate monitor for the batteries, something easy to install. Suggestions? I’m thinking my inverted will be fine for my charging needs.

Also I have a battery cut-off switch on order.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Victrons BMV series of battery monitors are good. Several different option available.
https://amzn.to/2E0cx2W

They are not difficult to install. The most difficult part is that you need to install the shunt on the negative feed to your bank. After that you just enter your battery size and a few other details. This type of monitor tracks amp-hours in and out of the battery, thus providing a fairly accurate SOC in %.

It depends on what brand and type of battery you have, but generally a flooded battery should see 14.6V (7.3v per 6V) during absorb. You want this voltage to be held until the charging amps drops under 1% of battery capacity. So 1A per 100AH of capacity. This can take 3-5 hours once the absorb voltage has been reached.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes those blinky lights are crude AF.

For SoC nothing is more accurate today than Merlin SmartGauge, supported in the NA market by Balmar.

Also by far the easiest to install configure and use, part of why so accurate. Only works with lead banks.

Out of the plethora of AH counting BMs, needed for LFP, my choice would be Victron 712-BMV.

Many owners install both, but if that seems nuts to you, a decent AH counter - not full BM quality - can be had from well under $100.

CMS / Maine Sail uses a Xantrex LinkPRO.

Read these three articles at his site

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:marinehowto.com+battery+monitor

And PS, inverters don't charge, they produce mains-style AC from your DC sources and battery bank.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Thanks! I thought the inverter charged also. I heard others say that plugging in to shore power will charge the batteries. Should I carry a stand-alone battery charger with me also? We plan on being remote 75% of the time. As far as the monitor should I go with the Victron 712 or 700?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The 712 has built-in bluetooth. So you can monitor using the victron phone app. You can also link it to one of their solar charger controllers if that matters.

If you have a inverter/charger, then you likely don't need a portable unit, with two caveats.
1. If charging from a generator, make sure it can supply the ~800w peak that charger will need.
2. Not all chargers are equal, I suggest you post up your chargers specs, model etc. That way we can tell you if its actually worth anything, or if it just an anchor.

john61ct

Adventurer
inverter produces mains from DC

charger the reverse

Just as there are combined aircon/heating units, "combi" style inverter/chargers do exist, but they are distinct functions.

I prefer separates, unless PowerAssist required.

You really need to figure out exactly what you have - links, at least model#s - before much advice can be given.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I must have an inverter, when I'm plugged into shore power I have 12 volt lights, etc. I guess I'll have to look harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998