New Color Tacomas? "Pyrite Mica"

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have been a fan of the 2005+ Tacomas since introduction.

Though I'm a huge fan of white cars and trucks for practical reasons, particularly 4WDs, today I saw a new Tacoma in the parking of the DMV and it really caught my eye! I don't know where to get a picture to post here, but I think it was "Pyrite Mica".

You can see it on this build your own Toyota page.

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/exterior-360.html

The computer version doesn't look quite the same, but in person I found it very attractive. Of course, it is dark enough that trail pin-striping would be very obvious :(

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Okay, I have to rant about this.

Actually, I have two rants.

First rant: Am I the only one who's getting tired of the bland, boring colors cars seem to have nowadays? How many variations of gray do we need? Why are so many cars silver?

You know what silver is? It's a shiny version of gray!

For some reason, lots of people here seem to like white ("expedition white.")

Not me. I hate white, and I've owned more white vehicles than any other color (because I normally buy used, and except for black, color is never a deal breaker for me.)

Bleh. White is boring. It's like driving around in a blank sheet of paper. When I had my white Montero, I seriously wanted to paint Zebra stripes on it to make it look more interesting. :safari-rig: :D

The only thing I'll say about white is I like it better than black, but that's not saying much. Black, white and silver seem to be the most common colors, but really, they're not even colors. They're the absence of color.

My favorite color is green (especially forest green) which was very popular in the 90s but you see less and less of it now (I really wish I'd been able to find a forest green 4runner, I love that color!) I also like bold colors: Orange, yellow, deep blue, even purple. But they're hard to find, especially on trucks or SUVs (one of the things I like about the FJ Cruiser is they offer it in some very nice, bold colors. Ditto for the Nissan Xterra.)

The imports seem worse in this respect, maybe they are sticking with bland colors because it makes them more marketable in other countries, I don't know. But look at Jeep, for instance, which offers some great colors on its Wrangler series. Then look at the 4th gen 4runner. For one year (2003) it was offered in a cool dark green, but since then there's a red, and then 18 different variations of black, gray, silver, white, etc. - AKA the bland colors.

I know colors are fashion trends that go in cycles, but I can't wait for this one to end.

Second rant: What's with these color names? Seems like they have one person who picks the colors, and then a committee of 10 people who try to come up with crative names for the colors. Apparently they get extra points for making it impossible to determine what the color is by hearing the name.

Actually, I take it back, they don't have 10 people picking the names, they have a computer with a random word generator that picks the names.

Hmmm "Desert moon sunflower organdy mica." Yeah, that sounds like a great color. Of course, from hearing it, you don't know whether it's tan, yellow, orange, white or black, but it sounds cool.

This is another area where the US manufacturers seem to have an edge: They will usually throw a real color somewhere into the naming scheme, like "Rescue Green" or "Fire engine Red" or "powder blue" so you have at least some idea of what the color is.

Even my own truck is apparently "desert dune mica." :rolleyes: Why can't they just say "tan" and leave it at that? That's what I say when I describe it to people.

sami

Explorer
^Only thing I got from that was that you didn't have the balls to go through with zebra stripes.. You allowed yourself to drive a blank piece of paper..

;)

CYi5

Explorer
That color is on the 2009 tacos I believe. Looks very nice, but I like the new green color too.

Wonderland

Explorer

Bright colors are hard to sell, and resale for that matter.

Shame really, I like the brighter colors myself. Looks like even red is gone from the Toyota lineup.

Red and Orange are my two favorite colors for a vehicle, had a 71 Chevelle that was Hugger Orange, and a 70's Ford F250 Ranger that I had painted Porsche Red.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Here is a great thing about ExPo... I agree and disagree with points in your 'rant'. Enjoyed it, laughed and smiled a couple times :sombrero:

I may be a bit conservative, but I like white (agree, the absence of color] because I like my rigs to look nice/clean, even after years of trail use but with minimal wax/polish on the paint. For me the best/only answer is white. I like to buy new cars and maintain them excellently, so I get to pick my color too. As long as I only incur surface scratches and not dents, my cars look great for years, and you often have to be at the correct angle and close to see the scratches.

You're right, I think of sliver as a shinny version of gray (though I like both colors okay). And being a 'guy' I think only in primary colors; I can't name anything that is not a 'standard' color. That's when I defer to my external hard drive (wife) for the answer. And the names... oh the names, agreed, so what 'color' does that name describe...? :coffee:

My favorite color is red, though I have never (yet) owned a red car.… Oops take that back, my 1967 VW Bug was red, a very nice deep/bright red. My wife's favorite color is blue. Unless she gets one of my hand-me-downs as her next 'car', which would be white, our next new vehicle will likely be 'hers'. I would like to find a slightly different/interesting color that she might like other than a dark blue (which is Hot in the summer, shows scratches, parking lot door dings, etc.)

A bit more on-topic-

I loved this Pyrite Mica when I saw it at dusk on a double cab Taco, but What The Hell is Pyrite Mica?! :sombrero:

Actually, I have two rants.

First rant: Am I the only one who's getting tired of the bland, boring colors cars seem to have nowadays? How many variations of gray do we need? Why are so many cars silver?

You know what silver is? It's a shiny version of gray!

For some reason, lots of people here seem to like white ("expedition white.")

Not me. I hate white, and I've owned more white vehicles than any other color (because I normally buy used, and except for black, color is never a deal breaker for me.)

Bleh. White is boring. It's like driving around in a blank sheet of paper. When I had my white Montero, I seriously wanted to paint Zebra stripes on it to make it look more interesting. :safari-rig: :D

The only thing I'll say about white is I like it better than black, but that's not saying much. Black, white and silver seem to be the most common colors, but really, they're not even colors. They're the absence of color.

My favorite color is green (especially forest green) which was very popular in the 90s but you see less and less of it now (I really wish I'd been able to find a forest green 4runner, I love that color!) I also like bold colors: Orange, yellow, deep blue, even purple. But they're hard to find, especially on trucks or SUVs (one of the things I like about the FJ Cruiser is they offer it in some very nice, bold colors. Ditto for the Nissan Xterra.)

The imports seem worse in this respect, maybe they are sticking with bland colors because it makes them more marketable in other countries, I don't know. But look at Jeep, for instance, which offers some great colors on its Wrangler series. Then look at the 4th gen 4runner. For one year (2003) it was offered in a cool dark green, but since then there's a red, and then 18 different variations of black, gray, silver, white, etc. - AKA the bland colors.

I know colors are fashion trends that go in cycles, but I can't wait for this one to end.

Second rant: What's with these color names? Seems like they have one person who picks the colors, and then a committee of 10 people who try to come up with crative names for the colors. Apparently they get extra points for making it impossible to determine what the color is by hearing the name.

Actually, I take it back, they don't have 10 people picking the names, they have a computer with a random word generator that picks the names.

Hmmm "Desert moon sunflower organdy mica." Yeah, that sounds like a great color. Of course, from hearing it, you don't know whether it's tan, yellow, orange, white or black, but it sounds cool.

This is another area where the US manufacturers seem to have an edge: They will usually throw a real color somewhere into the naming scheme, like "Rescue Green" or "Fire engine Red" or "powder blue" so you have at least some idea of what the color is.

Even my own truck is apparently "desert dune mica." :rolleyes: Why can't they just say "tan" and leave it at that? That's what I say when I describe it to people.

jh504

Explorer
I dont like bright colors on functional vehicles. The new color is very cool, Im a big fan. I like the "sleeper" look. I do not like the "custom car" look of modified vehicles with bright colors saying "Look at me". Purple is especially bad. Functional and under the radar is my thing. The less attention the better. having said that I do love all the shades of dark green. Forest green, Olive green, I love them all. I have also owned my share of red vehicles but I look at red differently. It has its own look of "functionality".

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I loved this Pyrite Mica when I saw it at dusk on a double cab Taco, but What The Hell is Pyrite Mica?! :sombrero:

Good question. When I first started reading the thread I assumed it was a variation of gold. After all, pyrite is fool's gold, so wouldn't that mean the pyrite mica was some variation of gold? But I guess it's a brownish color.

I don't know why but for some reason car manufacturers seem to dislike using common color names or reusing color names. Maybe they think using a new color vs an old color will make their vehicle seem NEW! and IMPROVED!

It seems odd to me because I can't imagine someone choosing one vehicle over another just because vehicle A was called "white" and vehicle B was called "deep alpine mica blizzard."

As for colors, I know red is very prone to oxidation. I've seen quite a few red Tacomas, pickups and 2nd generation 4runners with very badly oxidized paint. I'm sure the altitude and the thin air here in Colorado accelerate the process.

I give Nissan kudos for making the Xterra in some very bold colors. The oranges, greens, blues and of course the yellows make those vehicles really stand out.

87FoRunner

Adventurer
If something were to happen to my Impulse Red Pearl (Maroon) Tacoma, I would be all over a Desert Sand Mica Double Cab, (The tan color discontinued in 08) :sombrero:

I am sick of seeing silver Tacomas. Someone on TTORA hated his so much, a few days later he painted it Primer black :Wow1:

BLKNBLU

Explorer
White and silver are great for hiding scratches we all get on these rigs but i'll agree it does get a bit boring. I love a clean black car but even a pampered hot rod is hard to keep clean and looking sharp much less a trail truck.

One thing about the bright colors is that they could be a lifesaver if you're ever out stranded somewhere. Much easier to pick out than tan/beige/forest green. I do the same with camping/activity clothes. Sometimes I want to blend in and sometimes I want to stick out.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
White and silver are great for hiding scratches we all get on these rigs but i'll agree it does get a bit boring. I love a clean black car but even a pampered hot rod is hard to keep clean and looking sharp much less a trail truck.

One thing about the bright colors is that they could be a lifesaver if you're ever out stranded somewhere. Much easier to pick out than tan/beige/forest green. I do the same with camping/activity clothes. Sometimes I want to blend in and sometimes I want to stick out.

That's why I carry a VS17 panel in my survival kit.

7wt

Expedition Leader
^Only thing I got from that was that you didn't have the balls to go through with zebra stripes.. You allowed yourself to drive a blank piece of paper..

;)
That was the funniest thing I have read all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998