New Cooper All Terrain ATW

Fargo

Adventurer
I did get the Cooper ATW a few weeks ago. We haven't had any weather yet here to test them on. But as far as road noise and driving characteristics I am very happy. My Pathfinder had BFG Long Trail from factory. I purchased the vehicle with about 20,000 miles on it. Even then the BFG made a noise that sounded like a wheel bearing was going out. The ATW does not make that noise. So they were quieter right from the start. To be fair Long Trail were at 50,000 miles, but the tread was still pretty good and I would have run them for another 10-15,000 miles if they had better snow/ice traction. I expect the Cooper will be louder at 50,000 miles too, but I really don't expect them to get any louder than the OEM BFG was.

As far as handling I went from a OEM 265/65R17 to a slightly taller and narrower 255/70R17. The speedometer is now more accurate. The handling feels very similar. I think the Cooper might be a slightly thicker and tougher tire, but the taller sidewall pretty much balances everything out because it really doesn't ride or handle any difference than the factory tire. Which is great since this is a taller tire and the factory had a pretty nice ride. So I am happy.

Now I need to contact Cooper to get them to build this tire in a 255/85R16 for my Jeep.

sobiloff

I got my set of AT/W's on my F-250 a couple weeks ago. They're a little louder than my old tires (Michelin LTX AT/2's), or maybe it's just a different frequency--I seem to hear more high-pitched tones than before. It's not annoying, just different than before. I haven't been in the deep snow yet, only packed snow, rain, and some mud/gravel roads. They definitely have better grip in all those conditions than the Michelins. I also found some black ice at the entry to a parking lot. The SUV ahead of me slid into the opposite curb, while I just slipped a little and kept right on going into the parking lot. Not bad for an unloaded pickup truck!

I just hope I can break free from work and head up to the slopes to enjoy this early ski season soon!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I can vouch for the quiet nature of the LTX. however, they never had great grip either. I had them on my f250. Never liked them that much for anything other than highway running.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I got my set of of 5 ATW's yesterday. Much quiter than the ST's which develope a howl as they wear. Not a problem with the tire, just the nature of the beast. These ATW's have a higher frequency hum, but it is much easier to live with. Going from my beloved 255/85/16 to 265/75/16 shows these tires to be a little darty and follow road grooves a whisker more. Due largely to the softer compound and larger contact patch (not only width but density of tread blocks) I am not unhappy about it the compromise.

When tires get to 50% I generally replace them. I have a hard time beleiveing these will go 30K and have acceptable life as an adventure tire, the soft compound being the culprit, but maybe the added silica can make the difference. Overall, I am looking forward to confident winter driving capability and much more civilized ride and reduced NHV.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

The W stands for winter. After the temp rises above freezing, they wear out FAST! Its the nature of the beast. These are meant to compare to the blizzaks.

Fargo

Adventurer
The W stands for winter. After the temp rises above freezing, they wear out FAST! Its the nature of the beast. These are meant to compare to the blizzaks.

I don't think thats entirely accurate. The W does indeed stand for Winter. But this was designed to be an all season tire. They even give it a 50,000 mile life span. Its not really designed to complete with the Blizzaks and pure winter tires. But its somewhere between the Blizzak and a regular all season. I'm sure you are correct that it will wear much faster in the summer. As I understand it they don't even sell this tire in southern states. I'm sure due to heat concerns.

I've been putting mine to the test this past week as we got our first real snow of the year. They will slip and slide a little on icy roads. They are not like a studded tire. Likely not as good as the Blizzaks mentioned above, I have no experience there. But they are still very impressive in winter driving. In particular I really noticed they had great winter traction when it came to braking on icy roads. I did a hard brake for a light that turned red and I was impressed at how well they gripped. When I took off from the light, they did slip a little and traction control kicked in. But I was driving like it was dry conditions.

To give them even greater praise my wife drove with the tires and never put the Pathy into 4wd. She always puts any vehicle into 4wd any time it snows. The fact she didn't feel she needed 4wd speaks volumes.

kojackJKU

I would say they are actually pretty awesome in winter driving. All those sipes in the treads. Up here they are marketed as a winter first tire. Keep us posted on wear. I installed cooper st2 studded tires on our new patriot and got to really try them out last night. I knew they were good as I ran the discoverer studded tire before. Last night we had -4deg Celsius and freezing rain. The roads were like skating rinks, and the pat never even slipped when a gassed it. Its an awesome rig. My 2010 I had before, had Michelin x ice radials on it and they were not near as good as these.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Any updates on these tires for the New Year? I am in Colorado and I am considering these tires for my Tacoma in a 235/85/16. I want to run them all year and I am planning a Moab Trip for the spring. I wasn't sure if this tire would be Moab friendly or if I should consider the BFG AT KO2?

Climberclimb

Observer
Hi Pittsburgh, I am having success with these tires. Weekly runs to the ski hill, trips on forest roads, slush, ice and wet roads. So far I am very happy with the AT/W. Black ice has been fine and slick sections I can get by in two wheel drive if I choose. So ya, worth it so far. I guess we'll see how well they wear in the warmer months of the sunny Okanagan!!!! Some deep snow shots for ya!! Cheers
Let me know if there are any specific questions!
image.jpgimage.jpg
Oops. Darn pictures!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Climberclimb

Observer
I will have to use photobucket from now on. Yes, I was stuck briefly but did get out. No fault of tires - it was deep, sunk to undercarriage. Cheers

sobiloff

Yep, still quite happy with mine. They've gotten me up to the ski slopes without any drama, even when others have been challenged. The only time they've slipped for me was when there was a bunch of ice in town. My F-250 steered and braked just fine, but getting going from a stop was a slow affair in 2WD. I've got 240 pounds of sand in the bed, which seems to be just fine for regular snow and slush, but it wasn't enough weight on sheets of ice. Luckily I have 4WD; once I engaged that there were no further problems getting going from a complete stop on ice.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The ATW is a very impressive snow biased AT. I've been daily driving and rally racing on Nokian snow tires for over 15 years and Copper ATWs definitely give the Nokian WR a run for its money (which is the gold standard for all season tires). While I don't own a set, last winter went out in a buddies 4rnr and honed the crap out of it in 10" of fresh snow for 3 hours. We tried tested them in all sorts of choreography and they never disappointed. Huge difference over the Duratracs he was running, no comparison really.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Any updates for those of you that are running this tire?

I have snagged a set of new hankook I pike winter tires last year when we sold out beater old 2ed gen yota 4 runner with a blown motor aka sold the truck got new tires bought a six pack and was happy.
However, this summer back on went the old DanaProATMs that now have 85 k on them. I really do not want to put them back on come spring. The winter tires will be going on any day.

I have been looking at this tire since expo did a write up on it a few year back. however it is hard to find reviews of it on line and hard to find a place that will sell them.

What I would like to know is how are they working out there in the real world?
Some of you have run them for two full winters now. What sort of miles do you have on the tires and how are they holding up? Are you feeling good about going into a third winter ?
I ran the Dana Pros for three winters and at the start of the fourth it was like driving on racing slicks in the snow the rubber had gotten so hard. The damn things still have tread on them but wiggle and viberate and make all sorts of noise and I want them gone.

I drive a lot.... I live in the mountains of Idaho at 5,100 feet. We average 300 inchs of snow at 6,000 feet and I spend a lot of time going back and forth up and down mountains. Please share as much as you can including photos of the tire. Hoping to bring this thread back from the dead near a year later.

if any one else out there has gotten the ATW, please feel free to chime in
thanks

Climberclimb

Observer
Hi cdthiker,
Still running mine, still happy with them. Last winter no issues, gravel roads no issues. They seem to be wearing well, should have at least 2 more seasons out of them. Really good handling characteristics in the snow! I would buy them again. Fire any questions my way if you want. Cheers
Edit - did well over the hot summer of the Okanagan, the tread held up really well. I know this was a concern posted by others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179