New custom leaf spring question

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hi, for my E-350 Chinook I just ordered rear leaf springs to be built from ground up by Atlas Springs, I need 5" to get level at 7,500 rear axle weight, 10,700 total weight.

Atlas assured me I do not need to worry about sagging as they will build to my weight needs. However, I added additional 100 pounds to fully loaded rear axle weight and was thinking to get an extra 1" in height just to be safe - what are your thoughts? Should I get an 1" in "sag insurance" or is it not necessary?

Thanks

4xchinook4

Observer
Hi, for my E-350 Chinook I just ordered rear leaf springs to be built from ground up by Atlas Springs, I need 5" to get level at 7,500 rear axle weight, 10,700 total weight.

Atlas assured me I do not need to worry about sagging as they will build to my weight needs. However, I added additional 100 pounds to fully loaded rear axle weight and was thinking to get an extra 1" in height just to be safe - what are your thoughts? Should I get an 1" in "sag insurance" or is it not necessary?

Thanks
If there ain't much a price difference . Can't hurt id say. Plus if it doesn't sag over time. . Im sure there's a 1" leveling kit out there to bring your front up to match in a couple years if ya wanted to

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

REF

I don’t think 100 lbs is going to make much difference in your overall weight and spring build specs. It would be easier to add a 1” block in the rear if needed, than to add lift to the front coils (I’m assuming).
You could give Atlas a call to play it safe and ask if it’ll make any difference.
My Deavers ultimately settled a bit and I added a 1” block under them, with no adverse effects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4xchinook4

Observer
I don’t think 100 lbs is going to make much difference in your overall weight and spring build specs. It would be easier to add a 1” block in the rear if needed, than to add lift to the front coils (I’m assuming).
You could give Atlas a call to play it safe and ask if it’ll make any difference.
My Deavers ultimately settled a bit and I added a 1” block under them, with no adverse effects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also valid point. Rear spring block is easier than front coil. If needed Down the road. Good point

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Adding 1" block if necessary is good idea, not sure why I didn't think of that as I currently have 2" blocks and will remove with new leaf springs. I was assured it won't sag with new springs but I don't see how adding another 1" would hurt just to make it future proof. As far as extra 100 lbs, that's almost weight of wife or half of mid-size dog I may look to get in future.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It seems like your expectation of 100 lbs equating to another inch is for a very soft spring. That would mean roughly that your springs if linear were 50 lbs/inch. I’m guessing you’ll end up more like 300-500 lbs per inch, increasing significantly as you flatten, and 100 lbs weight difference won’t even be visible on a spring pair built to carry 7500 lbs on an axle.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Update, in May received leaf springs from Atlas. They were quite backlogged (Oct ordered) on getting steel due to supply chain issues but they were always available for updates and great to work with. The 5" above stock and requested weight distribution worked perfect. With rig dry the rear was a bit high but once wet and packed for trips it sat perfect. Only downside was needing to get new back mount fabricated due to arch change in leaf springs.

There was a noticeable difference in steering control by raising rear to match front and rig drove more smoothly with much less rattling.

First pic is at Overland Expo in East 2021, second is with new leaf springs, big difference I'd say....

1655207219627.jpeg

1655207124852.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12