New Daily Driver/ Camp Vehicle

Raven Rider

Rev. Jerry
Well I have been on this site for a while and I love to camp but I need to replace my '06 F350 SD 4x4. I have been looking and looking and now I'm really confused. I do need some help here. For what I have been looking at is the Subaru's OB and Forester, Ford Escape, Explorer and F150 and, Jeep unlimited and Compass, Toyota FJ and a few others. What I would like to do is drive comfortably daily but be able to drive dirt roads/ fire roads to camp. I have had 4 different 4x4 in the last 6 years (used the 4x4 2 times in 6 years just because) so I don't "need" a 4x4 because I don't travel that far back into the woods to camp but I do need to get away from the masses of week end campers. When I camp it is usually for more than just a week end sometimes for up to 4 weeks (I did say I love to camp). I have several trailers and one is small enough to pull behind any of these choices. The reasons I want to change vehicles are mileage, harsh ride and the price of fuel. On the top of my list so far is the Subaru OB with the 6 cyl. and the Jeep unlimited since the mileage is up from the last 2 jeeps I've had. What say you?

rfroy

Observer
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Hope someone can give us some good suggestions.

Jerry

Antelope

Might be able to help, I just traded in my 2010 forester 2.5 as it was too small and not quite rugged enough, I only drive on forest service roads for my offroading but do tow a light chalet trailer about 1200 pounds. The rear suspension felt pushed around by the trailer and it did not like a full load of 4 guys and ski gear (no trailer) it would bottom out downshift like crazy and get bad mileage 12-15 when loaded. Daily driving and light loaded touring for 2 people and back packing gear it was awesome, good mileage 25-27 and could bomb through any weather you through at it. City mileage was 18-20 summer 16-18 winter so not great but it could fit in small spaces and was fun to drive. It was a great car but I would not tow again with the auto 2.5 combo and I'd also upgrade the tires and suspension if I were to tow with a stick. That's easier said then done as the aftermarket lacks in the USA but it is getting better. Don't get me wrong I love Subaru's and will be buying my wife an Impreza but we won't use it as our camping or towing vehicle. Good luck with your decision.

98roamer

Explorer
We've been looking pretty hard at the Outbacks and the 2013 has an improved rear suspension. We're keeping the 4Runner for towing the popup but the OB would be for long camping/backpacking trips. Looking at the 2013 3.6R with Special Appearance Package.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

Raven Rider

Rev. Jerry
I'm down to these not in order ( well kind of in order). I know some of these are more Off-road and not necessarily 1:1 comparable.
1. Subaru Outback H-6 good mpg and nice clearance for a station wagon and will tow 3000lbs but not very well.
2. Toyota FJ Awesome off road good on road but not so good MPG and will tow 5000lbs but not very well
3 Jeep Unlimited Awesome off road not as good on road bad MPG and will tow 4000lbs but not very well
4. Cooper Countryman Small cute not so good Off road not much ground clearance but OK on road excellent MPG but won't tow anything over 2000 lbs + or -.
5. anything else to look at????
6. Just keep my '06 F350 SD 4x4 @ 14-19 mpg with it's horrible ride, I should have bought a 3/4 or 1/2 ton. It is paid for and only has 80,000 miles.

p nut

butter
What about a Tacoma 2.7L 4WD? Not better MPG than the Outbacks (very close--up to 24-25MPG being reported), but more capable and will tow better. MPG is better than the FJ and Jeep. For 2wd models, the MPG shoots up to 25+, which should rival Outback figures.

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
You could always modify your suspension to give a cushier ride and perform better as well. Would be a cheaper alternative than a new vehicle.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Suzuki Grand Vitara. It's old and tired but it's still a full frame truck and even the 4cyl can tow 3000lb no sweat. Low range, hill descent, not great aftermarket but the parts are out there from EMU and ARB, reliable and surprisingly comfortable if you add all the options on.

My dad just bought a completely loaded 2012 and we were very surprised at how well it towed his 3000lb boat. He used his '03 Volvo
XC70 to tow it before and it really couldn't handle it... although it did.

The GV also easily gets 25-27mpg highway without even trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12