New Defender News

ChasingOurTrunks

I'm genuinely shocked that recovering the New Defender requires a flatbed, and that flat-towing is limited to a max of 50 kms or 10 minutes at a time. Is ASPW correctly interpreting the manual in that video?

To clarify, here's how Andrew seems to be interpreting the manual:

"If you want to tow it, you have to put it in neutral and disengage the parking break. After 10 minutes, it will automatically shift into park. Also you can only tow it for a max of 50 kilometers, at 50 KPH, and also don't tow it for more than 10 minutes".

The way I'm reading it:

"There is a Transmission Park Release Mechanism that has to be activated if you wanna tow it. If you turn the car off when it's in Neutral, it'll automatically shift into Park after 10 minutes, and that's why this Transmission Park Release Mechanism exists. It will ensure that the car doesn't automatically go into park, hence why it has to be activated before towing. This mechanism is NOT the same as the parking break or shifting it into Park. But even with all that you can still only tow for 50 kms at a max of 50 kph"

Andrew's read is absolutely dire; in some situations you need more than 10 minutes of towing just to clear a single mud pit or snowy section. My read is less dire, but still bad - My read is that if you are going to go more than 50 kilometers off grid, you have to only go where a flat deck can come get you, because you cannot tow it on it's own four paws for more than 50 kilometers in any configuration.

As I've said before I'm keen on this thing so I'm not slogging it for the sake of it, but I think Andrew brings up a serious consideration for this vehicle's limitations and if his read is correct - or candidly, even if my more favourable read is correct - this thing isn't really suitable for my needs.

Is there anyone watching this thread who actually owns one and has some towing experience that can share a bit more clarity?

A.J.M

Explorer
Realistically, how often do you tow a vehicle 50km?

In 19 years of driving, I’ve had to tow something in the conditions described. Once.

You can’t flat tow automatics far.
Regardless of maker really.

The same issue he talks of, is still present for Land cruisers so I hope he never has to flat tow his new automatic he’s ordered…

ChasingOurTrunks

In 19 years of driving, I’ve had to tow something in the conditions described. Once.

The same issue he talks of, is still present for Land cruisers so I hope he never has to flat tow his new automatic he’s ordered…

My Canyon has an auto, but also has a neutral setting for the transfer case and can be used as a "toad" behind an RV (towed on all 4 wheels basically as long as you want; wheel bearings and tires become the wear parts, clear instructions in the manual). I think this is true for at least some Wranglers too.

Recognizing you've never needed to tow something the way he describes, I would say two things: We're talking about a Land Rover product (sorry couldn't resist) and jokes aside, secondly, it only needs to happen once and then what do you do with your $100,000 investment? Leave it there? Do an additional $20k in running gear damage trying to recover it? Credit to the Defender - it can be air lifted from the tow hooks, according to a video I saw from them around the time of the release (confirm that before slinging it under a chopper!!) - but that's going to cost a pretty penny too. My point is, all of those scenarios are insurmountable for me, and I'm not sure I'm willing to carry a 6-figure risk (or even a $20k risk) on an electronics gremlin.

If my current rig sits down on me in the backcountry, I can call a friend to flat tow me back out and we can pluck it through any tricky bits and make good time on the gravel. But If there's even one technical section, a flat deck can't get in to recover me, so the flat tow thing is important given the magnitude of the impact should one experience an incident.

Can Land Cruisers not be flat-towed? I'd like to hear more about that as that is a surprise. I thought it was more a function of having a transfer case that can be put into Neutral but this is not an area I know a lot about.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

The chances of ever having to tow a Land Cruiser are dramatically less though.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Folks (in Obama's voice),

I have been a LR fun for long time and I still think they have made great vehicles in the past and they did a lot to promote overlanding.
But now it's over. We need to let it go.
It's like the girl you were in love with in high school. And you still kinda love her even after 35 years later... but you fail to realize that she is now a 53-year-old lady, twice divorced, has problems with alcohol and weight. She cried when Hillary lost in 2016.
And only thing you can do here is just move on and keep those sweet memories you had with her... you know, those wild nights you guys had on the back seat of mom's car after the game.

We have to move on. It's over. It's been over since 2015. For the US market it's been over since 2004.

Last edited:

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Folks (in Obama's voice),

I have been a LR fun for long time and I still think they have made great vehicles in the past and they did a lot to promote overlanding.
But now it's over. We need to let it go.
It's like the girl you were in love with in high school. And you still kinda love her even after 35 years later... but you fail to realize that she is now a 53-year-old lady, twice divorced, has problems with alcohol and weight. She cried when Hillary lost in 2016.
And only thing you can do here is just move on and keep those sweet memories you had with her... you know, those wild nights you guys had on the back seat of mom's car after the game.

We have to move on. It's over. It's been over since 2015. For the US market it's been over since 2004.
Huh. Looks like I have to disagree with you on every front. Especially the bit about the orange magat. But LR too. It wasn't all better way back when.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
I was simply replying to Highlander. His reply above left me with that sort of vibe - if I was wrong, I apologize. But even if I was right, I prob should not have let myself get drawn in. Sometimes...

Sorry.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
@Highlander I don't believe dishonest is the correct term. I did not mean anything maliciously and even apologized preemptively in post 2245. Not dishonest, just a wrong assumption. I apologize again - directly.

Beers are on me if we ever meet.

(Note to self: don't be an idiot next time)(...and never mix these 2 topics ever again)

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Back on topic (@Highlander): I still disagree with you - and with ASPW for 2 main reasons:

1. LR has improved. After working with LRs / LR diagnostics professionally for over 10 years now and having seen the improvements LR has made firsthand (especially in electronics where the electronic generation in the P38 / FL1 / D2 were the low point), I think of a lot of the hype on LRs being pure ship as internet exaggerations. People do exactly what I did above, they read a couple of key words and assume, or they generalize off of a few real negative experiences that they've read about. Not to mention LR's service and parts prices which really are something to beach about. All of this combines to make LR an easy target. YT Channels like TFL even add it to their repertoire: a click bait "how bad is LR" title follwed by a vid where they say "well, not that bad actually" - but a lot of viewers never get that far. By and large a LR will get you home the same as a any modern Benz/Audi/whatever. You just might have issues with the infotainment or the central locking system if it happens to be a 15 year old D3. Companies such as JDPower exacerbate things as well in that they don't differentiate between drive line and infotainment. And did I already mention LR dealers, service and parts prices? Don't get me wrong: I have no delusions about LR quality. The reputation didn't originate out of nowhere and there is a reason that Toyota 4x4s are the most prevalent vehicles in remote areas of the world. I am just saying that the (internet) rep is much worse than reality.

2. Field repairability. People beach and moan about how inaccessible modern LRs are from a repair standpoint. But they are not that anymore. When we (GAP Diagnostic) started as a small group of LR enthusiast who wanted to solve exactly this issue, the only company in aftermarket LR diagnostics was Blackbox Solutions. And they charged $3k for a individual user, VIN locked one vehicle system. They had next to no support, but their systems were relatively comprehensive. Today there are all sorts of systems from the very inexpensive (and very limited) iCarsoft to systems such as ours. You can repair a modern LR in the field. It's not going to be like repairing a Series 1, but that's a bit like comparing Edison's light bulb to a modern LED light. And you don't even have to carry a laptop and can still have a complete repair manual at your disposal at the same time. Field repairs always suck. I really enjoy working on cars, but not when I'm cold and wet and laying in the dirt somewhere. By the same token, I think that in many instances a field repair today is more doable than 25 years ago. And often the vehicle will even tell you what's wrong. 25 years ago that knowledge generally came from the repairers experience as a mechanic. Today it comes from the diagnostic tool, pdf manuals or even online sources.

What I'm trying to say is that a modern LR can be a good overland vehicle. Any engineering exercise is an exercise in compromise. Yes, LR engineers their cars with a strong road-going bias, but that's where their vehicles - or any 4x4 of any age for that matter - are going to spend the very largest percentage of their time - even hardcore off-roaders (the exception being purpose built vehicles that are trailered to events). Jeeps and Ineos Grenadiers are also built with this bias.

My wife and I had planned to drive from our home in Europe to visit with friends who live in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and then continue on to South Africa (we haven't because of the political situation in all of northern Africa). Even on a large trip like this, tho, and even when looking for trails and stretches where we could remain off-road as long as possible, the reality is that today you are going to be on road (or at the very minimum dirt tracks) a large portion of the time. And I do NOT want to spend 6+ hrs/day bouncing around in an uncomfortable vehicle on road just to

After moving to Europe, I always thought I'd be buying a MB G (which I had considerable experience with in the 90s). My disdain for Brit automotive electrics and with that Land Rover turned to fascination when my future dad-in-law gave us his RRC for a few weeks. It was as comfortable as a MB S-class on the highway and as capable as a MB G off-road. The G of that era was not plush on-road. And I have been working on them and playing with them ever since. I own 8 LRs and I believe I know the brand - both positives and negatives.

IMO, the L663 is a worthy successor to that legacy. Very comfortable on-road and very capable off.

ASPW himself put it best at the end of a video that he's taken down off his YT channel where he took a stock D4 over a very rocky mountain pass with a bunch of big tire'd, older Defenders: "And on the drive home, who do you think is going to be more comfortable? Me (in a D4)? Or those guys (Defenders...)?" Portions of the vid can still be found here https://expeditionportal.com/an-lr4...lenging-public-road-and-all-to-prove-a-point/

kerouac

After reading this thread I see the typical LR vs Toyota theme emerge. I just spent a month travelling London, Italy and Greece and I was surprised by how little Toyota product I actually saw. What I did see a lot of was LR (both old and new defender) and....wait for it...Ford. Personally, I really, really like the new Defender and (if/when I can afford it) would get the 90. I just love the proportions and, while I recognize the importance of reliability, I fall in the camp where a vehicle purchase is also an emotional one. It's why we buy hot rods and VW camper vans....the impracticality steps aside to the allure and cool factor. I also feel as more and more LR product sells (not just here in NA but around the world) the brand's reliability reputation will shift and the think-tank of crowd group information availability to source, assess and diagnose issues will grow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online