New Defender News

umbertob

Adventurer
Lucky for you because I would have bought them.

Yeah, well, mine are pretty messed up though (scuffs and some deep scratches from rock kissing, nothing bent or missing pieces as far as I can tell.) Which leads me to an off topic question: can they be refinished and re-powder coated to look like new? Any idea how much that would run?

jaamrode

A proper off-road comparison between the G-Wagon and the new Defender

Not a proper comparison! The Defender doesn’t have the optional rear locker or better traction management system that is available. If you can afford the G-Wagon then you can afford to get the Defender properly optioned and pocket $50K.

ChasingOurTrunks

Jeeez, what a PITA to change the battery!

I saw this and had the same reaction, but then it occurred to me - how often do I actually need to mess with my battery? A fair bit when I first get a rig and am hooking up my accessories, but then after that it’s a once every few years job.

On the other hand, getting the battery out of the engine compartment - with the heat and everything - might pay dividends in battery longevity.

(Or maybe not - I’m just saying my thinking has softened from my initial reaction).

I am wondering about boosting - getting or giving one - and how that is done with this Defender as that is something that does happen semi-often.

DieselRanger

Yeah, well, mine are pretty messed up though (scuffs and some deep scratches from rock kissing, nothing bent or missing pieces as far as I can tell.) Which leads me to an off topic question: can they be refinished and re-powder coated to look like new? Any idea how much that would run?
In my experience it's almost as expensive as replacing them if they're dinged deeply and you want a factory-new look.

ChasingOurTrunks

There are posts in the engine compartment, same as the Discovery. The Disco's battery is in the cargo area on the side behind a removable panel.

Thanks DieselRanger. I don’t know much about any of the Rovers, so having folks who do answer my constant questions is appreciated!

DieselRanger

Disco for the Win!!! ?

I know its the Dealers truck so they can push it.
I saw this, but Dad bags it. Likely because the dealer told them if they ding it they buy it. I posted it but then deleted it because ultimately it's a lame video. Another recent video of a Touareg vs the Disco, the Touareg won. I think the Touareg was on coils.

I want to see a head to head comparo of a 1997 Defender, as stock as possible, against a new stock Defender. Top Gear will over-produce it if and when they do one and TG is mostly car drama anyway, Grand Tour has moved away from car reviews...not many real produced automotive programs any more that will give them a true head to head. And in the US, there likely aren't many people who have a stock 1997 Defender in mint condition they would be willing to take on a hard trail anyway.

So we'll have to wait for some drunk Eastern European dudes to post something on the internet I guess....

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I need the Grand Tour to do Hammond in a 2016, Clarkson in a 2020 and May in a Rubicon!!! Across the Rubicon Trail!!!

Or maybe the spice road with a New Defender, Gladiator, and a Bronco.

and Abbie taking the new V8 110 around the Eboladrome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger