New Disco owner!

Mr. Moore

Observer
So I recently traded my 1982 Chevy project straight across for a 2002 Disco II. This thing is awesome. It's in great shape and I have already taken care of the electrical gremlins it had. The only thing I need to get now are new tires as the ones on it are bald. It has the factory 18" split spoke wheels on it and any recommendations on all terrain tires would be great. I plan on leaving it mostly stock for now with the addition of some lights, a mount for fuel storage and a drawer system. I also plan on ordering an Ultra Guage to mount in it to monitor the mechanicals. I wish I could figure out how to post pics from my phone as my computer is down. I can't wait to get out an explore with this thing.

PhD_Polymath

Observer
Congrats on the Disco. It is good that you are already planning to get an Ultragauge; the biggest enemy of these older Land Rover engines is too much heat. While you are in the process of getting the rig ready for use, I would check the front driveshaft. If it has grease fittings on both u-joints, you are good to go. If it doesn't have the greaseable fittings, the driveshaft may be original. If one of those u-joints gives out, the driveshaft can knock an irreparable hole in the side of the transmission. This happens too often and can be avoided by replacing the front driveshaft. There are a number of people who make replacements (Tom Woods is well-known). I bought one of the inexpensive shafts from Lucky8LLC, along with a ton of other parts. I just finished an engine rebuild on my 2000 Disco a little over a week ago and feel like I have a new vehicle (the truck sat for 9 months, due to funds and work). I think you will like your new (to you) truck and wish you many miles of trouble-free driving.

Exploder
Service the front driveshaft. The U-joints can fail and the flailing driveshaft will knock a hole in the side of your transmission.

Edit: I suppose that I should have read PhD's post in its entirety. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
As PhD notes, hard to beat the price on the L8 driveshaft. ~$200 is a lot of insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcabpilot

Observer
You might want to consider an app for your phone called "Torque" and an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle in lieu of an Ultragauge. Since most people always carry their phone everywhere they go and you'll probably be using it often for navigation and such anyway it's nice to be able to consolidate and have less clutter. It will do everything the Ultragauge does and is more customizable and configurable.

Another common and important thing to check is the throttle body heater circuit. They are notorious for leaks. Kits are available and it's an easy fix but keep an eye on it as well as your coolant level in the expansion tank. Address any coolant leaks you find before they cause further trouble. The old Rover V8 has some endearing qualities but it ain't a Toyota, you gotta keep an eye on it.

You'll love the Disco I've had my '01 for ten years now. Unfortunately I don't think your '02 has a center diff lock but you might want to crawl under there and check anyway. If it does there are several methods of connecting it (BMW decided it wasn't necessary and deleted it for the later '01 to '03 model years, it was put back in '04) If not you can get by with the Electronic Traction Control in most cases although it's a bit harder on both your tires and the trail your on because you've got to spin the wheel to get it to engage.

Enjoy

Mr. Moore

Observer
Thanks for all of the advice! I will definitely check the front driveshaft and check for the center diff lock, but I doubt it has one. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will.

Mr. Moore

Observer
252c75853cf48e6f89e518312262d150.jpg

part time nomad

Adventurer
IMG_0057.jpgGood choice Mr. Moore, Is it the V 8 petrol or Diesel?

I have a diesel TD5 but I decided to alter it a bit!!!!2013-08-21 17.55.23.jpg

As you can see I am a bit of a Land Rover fan, I have included a picture of all my Land Rovers in my back garden

IMG_0057.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-08-21 17.55.23.jpg
    2013-08-21 17.55.23.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

TyScot

Look's nice, for sure get the ultragauge in that thing! I run Cooper Discoverer AT's on my 04, 265-65-18's if I remember the size right. They rub while turning at full lock and I'm stock height. I run a same size spare to which you can do by flipping the spare holder and drilling a couple new holes to lift it to clear the bumper. As said before check your front driveshaft, make sure it's been changed to the one with grease nips and is in good order, might as well check u joints while under there. Check eBay for the linkage for the cdl as they pop up on there sometimes or get on B&R website to see if theres any 04's at one of they're yards around that might have an 04 t case to swap in if you really want the cdl. I had an 02 awhile back that I was going to do that on and they had one in Corvallis for about 200 I think it was. Either way, enjoy the disco!

Mr. Moore

Observer
So I just crawled under my disco and it looks like the front driveshaft has been replaced. All the joints have the grease fittings in them. I have no idea what I am looking for to see if it has a cdl in it or not. Thanks for all of the replies thus far!

part time nomad

Adventurer
Regarding the cdl on the high / low lever, can you push it over to engage it?
if not, the next thing to check is more difficult, but look under the motor on top of the transfer box, follow the linkage from the high / low lever on to the box, on top of the centre diff there may be a attachment ? if it has it has a diff lock fitted but no connection, you will need to get hold of a linkage. I think probably yours wont have one though. mine didn't have one, its a late 2001 so I changed the Transfer box

in the UK here we have HAYNES workshop manuals they are quite good and it will show you the pictures of the linkage`s
take a look on ebay for one, but if you are stuck I may be able to locate one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78