New Disco owner!

kcabpilot

Observer
Crawl underneath and stick your hand up just inboard of the driveshaft flange on the transfer case. If you feel a bolt-like stud protruding from the top then it has the CDL. Other option is mirror and flashlight. If you have it there are several methods of enabling it from electric solenoid to cobbled together home brewed contraptions. I installed a shift lever from a D1. Best solution is to try find a lever from an '04 model because anything else, other than the electrical solenoid, is going to bring transfer case gear noise into the cabin. The '04 uses a cable link. Here is a picture of mine before installing the nut looking down from above. The brown section upper center with yellow mark is driveshaft flange.

DSCN3721.JPG

Cupboard

On the subject of an Ultragauge, they don't work with UK spec Disco 2s. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the US spec ones are different but over here they weren't OBD2 compliant. Might be worth checking before you buy one?

kcabpilot

Observer
I'm pretty sure a UK spec Disco would be pretty easy to spot since the steering wheel would be on the passenger's side. :)

Cupboard

Yes, sorry, that's not the angle I was coming from!
I know an Ultragauge doesn't work on our TD5 Discoveries (I've tried and I have one for my TDCi Defender which it does work on) but there was a lot of talk of using them on US Discoveries and I wanted to flag that it's not a given that the Ultragauge would work. I don't know enough to say for definite either way but I thought it would be worth flagging as a potential issue.

kcabpilot

Observer
Understood. I was just trying to make a joke. Those of us in the U.S. are used to everything post 1996 being OBD2 compliant and equipped. I don't use an Ultragauge but rather an OBD2 app called Torque on my phone that does the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78