New Forum member here

RichardT

Adventurer
I took me awhile, but it seems as if I've found a great forum, I've been looking through a lot of the threads, and you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

I've owned my 95 Montero SR for a bout a year now, and I love it, it's basically stock right now, though I have an OME suspension on order and it should be here in a couple of weeks or so. I spent a few days at a wrecker right after I bought this one, just pillaging parts off of another Montero, and replacing random things that were broken or missing etc.

After the suspension, I plan on putting on a roof rack to go on the gutter system, along with lights and other random things, and then also a ladder for the rear door to access the rack. I'll need some new tires this coming year, and I'm sure I'll be asking for some advice on that matter as the day draws near.

I'm just happy that This forum is here, as there isn't a lot of info out there for our rides, at least when compared to others out there.

Maybe I'll be able to join some of you guys on a future trail ride here in southern CA, as some of you are from around here.

If you guys have any advice for a new owner, on what to expect with the Monty, good upgrades, cheap DIY improvements etc, I'm all ears :)

Richard

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm organizing my Hangover Avoidance Trail ride on New Years day in S. Cal. We'll be doing the Cleghorn. A stock rig with AT tires should be capable of running the main trail while upgraded rigs may be able to do some of the optional trail bypasses.

As far as upgrades, depends on what kind of wheeling you want to be able to do. SR's can be built to handle everything from simple desert driving (AT tires would be the only recommendation) to hard core rock crawling (more upgrades needed).

As for possible upgrades...
(1) Discovery ladder fits w/ minor mods to the ladder.
(2) Build a storage system (w/ drawers or cubby holes in back)
(3) 2" Body lift + 2" coil spacers + torsion bar crank = space for 35's!:Wow1: Yes I can confirm that.
(4) Trail Gear Tacoma Sliders fit perfectly, are made out of DOM tubing and cheap (relatively speaking)

RichardT

Adventurer
Thanks everyone! I just hope I'll be able to contribute in some way :)

I'm organizing my Hangover Avoidance Trail ride on New Years day in S. Cal. We'll be doing the Cleghorn. A stock rig with AT tires should be capable of running the main trail while upgraded rigs may be able to do some of the optional trail bypasses.

As far as upgrades, depends on what kind of wheeling you want to be able to do. SR's can be built to handle everything from simple desert driving (AT tires would be the only recommendation) to hard core rock crawling (more upgrades needed).

As for possible upgrades...
(1) Discovery ladder fits w/ minor mods to the ladder.
(2) Build a storage system (w/ drawers or cubby holes in back)
(3) 2" Body lift + 2" coil spacers + torsion bar crank = space for 35's!:Wow1: Yes I can confirm that.
(4) Trail Gear Tacoma Sliders fit perfectly, are made out of DOM tubing and cheap (relatively speaking)

That's some good advice, I had seen your storage system through your link, and wanted to ask what you used underneath as the support system for it, I love the fact that it doubles as a bed, that's awesome.
As for the Disco ladder, do you have an idea as to which years/models work best? Because there is some variation, thanks I appreciate it, btw those sliders are a lot cheaper than others I've seen for sure and I measured and the 58" seem to the be the right ones, although might be able to fit the 67"'s in there as well, which would you recommend?

I have a 1.25 lift from Old Man Emu, and I'll crank the front up to match, though this is my DD, so I don't want to go too high, I still have to put a baby seat in it from time to time ;). Although I do plan on picking up some 33's (10.5 works well on the stock rims right?) next year, as I'll be needing some, I just don't want to go too big.

That trail ride sounds like fun, I know I've been talking with a friend of mine about doing that trail, he just bought himself a new Rubicon Jeep...lucky bastard, but I don't mind going twice ;) I'll see if the schedule allows, hopefully by then I'll have my new suspension in (my rear shocks are gone, which makes for a bit of a bouncy ride ;) ).

Do you guys also know of anyone that makes a decently priced Bull bumper, and I mean a real one, not just a brush guard. They don't have to be pretty, just functional, I'd like to be able to mount a winch on it, or at least be able to run a cable from a winch through it, ARB has one I think, but it's a little expensive.

Last edited:

jluck

Adventurer
Welcome. This thread comes at a good time for me too as I just picked up a 95 sr. any good websites would be helpful too. I have found a few but what a bunch of crapy made sites, I gave up.

Welcome, Rockyroad make some sliders for the Gen II Montero for really cheap and they are high quality.
Have these guys actually started shipping stuff people paid for years ago? Last I knew they were the biggest scam-joke in the off road world.

RichardT

Adventurer
Welcome, Rockyroad make some sliders for the Gen II Montero for really cheap and they are high quality.

I really like there sliders, I actually offered to drive up there from SoCal, as they said they might be able to use me for a test fit, and I would get the sliders for free, but then they found someone local to them to do it :( oh well. I'd get there superslidrs, but I just don't have the cash right now, which is why those trail gear ones are looking good, that's not on my priority for mods, so we'll see what happens, but thanks!

Yeah Rocky Road is still in business. They are located about an hour south of me, so I usually go there in person. I had some issues with a one of there lifts on my Jeep and they fixed it, but I don't think they were terribly happy to do it. It was kinda like pullin teeth because they asked a butt load of questions. My buddy has bought a lot of zuki stuff from them and he has never had an issue. I think the internet is a place where people come to &*(# when things don't go their way. Very rarely do you people get on the internet to say how wonderful things are.

jluck

Adventurer
Yeah Rocky Road is still in business. They are located about an hour south of me, so I usually go there in person. I had some issues with a one of there lifts on my Jeep and they fixed it, but I don't think they were terribly happy to do it. It was kinda like pullin teeth because they asked a butt load of questions. My buddy has bought a lot of zuki stuff from them and he has never had an issue. I think the internet is a place where people come to &*(# when things don't go their way. Very rarely do you people get on the internet to say how wonderful things are.

That's good to hear. I can say I was pretty ingrained in the Suzuki world and saw lots of bad business practices go down there.(taking money and never supplying product is theft IMO). maybe they got new management or something. maybe I can give them a chance.
sorry about the hijack....maybe we can call it a vendor testimonial informational source for the montero.

RichardT

Adventurer
That's good to hear. I can say I was pretty ingrained in the Suzuki world and saw lots of bad business practices go down there.(taking money and never supplying product is theft IMO). maybe they got new management or something. maybe I can give them a chance.
sorry about the hijack....maybe we can call it a vendor testimonial informational source for the montero.

I hope they are better now, that's where I ordered my OME set from.....I called them before I ordered to make sure I was ordering the right stuff, and they said it would take about 2 weeks to come, I ordered it last Wednesday, we'll see what happens, I was hoping to have it in time for this winter break, so I can get out and roam a bit before classes start up in January.

I'm planning to be up in Lincoln near Sacramento the Jan 7-8th weekend (looking at some hunting dogs), it's too bad it's such a short stay, or I'd ask you guys about some good trails to hit while I'm up there.

RichardT

Adventurer
Hey Offroader, I saw a pic of your 96 Monty in a different thread...where did you get that bumper? Looks good, and functional.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Jeep bumper. An inexpensive Smittybilt knockoff I found on Craigslist. I modified it to mount a winch on top because when reinforcing my frame ends, I made a mistake and reduced the clearance enough that I no longer have enough room to mount a winch between the frame rails. if I had it all to do over again, the modification would have taken the winch size into consideration and the winch would be mounted between the frame rails & nicely tucked away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle