New Gen3 Montero owner (Alberta)

I'm a bit late but welcome to the club...

Once this whole pandemic is over you're welcome to come over to my garage and we can run it on Evoscan to see if it reveals anything more specific via the obd port. My suspicion is that the fuel filler assembly has some rust issues, just in reading you symptoms. But worth looking at by pulling down the plastic shield in the RR wheel well.

I've had quite a few gen3s over the years, along with others. They are great rigs when the right parts and maintenance are applied.

As an aside, we would get around 13.0L/100kms mixed driving overall on 265-75-16 Michelin LTX's.

Cheers
Phil

Thank you for the warm welcome, Phil.

I should update the CEL went away after a few days of driving with a replacement gas cap, and has not come back for a few weeks now. But, there hasn't been much driving outside of a quick grocery jaunt and a day trip to Drumheller a few weekends ago. So far, so good.

Also, if anyone is getting a "swishing/sloshing" noise behind their dash, bleed your coolant with the heat cranked and that should get rid of the air in the heater core. Slowly learning about this thing. Hard to wrench when you're a downtown apartment dweller in the middle of a pandemic.

Stay healthy, everyone.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Welcome aboard!

I too had that code several years ago...
The culprit turned out to be a small o-ring on the fuel pump assembly.
I pulled the fuel pump and replaced the o-ring on one of the connections and swapped in a new filter while I had it out.
I can't recall which connection had the bad o-ring... but I was unable to replace it with a Viton, so I had to use a rubber one.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Invocandum

Awesome! I just became the proud owner of a 3rd Gen in Calgary, too! Picked up a 2005 from the original owner with 109,000k on the clock. I'm just over here in Sunalta - looks like you're nearby. Just joined the forum and now I'm super stoked to see another local owner. Lets definitely stay in touch.

I'm currently having a CEL/Traction light issue being checked out right now. Picked the rig up from South Trail Kia and the lights came on almost immediately after pulling off the lot. Had it in today and they reckon it could be an issue developed from cleaning the engine? I'm not too sure, but it's back there for the night and they're gonna see what the deal is.

IMG_9684.JPG

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Welcome! Black on black is a nice combo. That combo of lights could be a sign of your alternator as well, so depending on how agressive they got with cleaning it, it could very well be related. Traction control light can also come on if there is an issue in the brake lights (check for shoddy trailer wiring). Did CEL come on at exact same time, or could it be unrelated?

Anyways, lots of third gen's in Alberta, if you know where to look. You're in good company.

Phil

Invocandum

Welcome! Black on black is a nice combo. That combo of lights could be a sign of your alternator as well, so depending on how agressive they got with cleaning it, it could very well be related. Traction control light can also come on if there is an issue in the brake lights (check for shoddy trailer wiring). Did CEL come on at exact same time, or could it be unrelated?

Anyways, lots of third gen's in Alberta, if you know where to look. You're in good company.

Phil

Hey! Thanks Phil.

They all came on at the same time. They had recently replaced the battery, spark plugs and valve cover gasket - so could be from that as well?

Anyways, looks like I'm in good company - really happy I found this forum.

- Cory

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Hey! Thanks Phil.

They all came on at the same time. They had recently replaced the battery, spark plugs and valve cover gasket - so could be from that as well?

Anyways, looks like I'm in good company - really happy I found this forum.

- Cory

If you have access to an OBD reader, see what the engine is telling you. Have you found the ultimate Mitsu factory service manual repository yet?

Invocandum

Yes I believe I saw someone else recommend it to Wherever I May Roam. You reckon I should ask the dealership to provide me with the codes that come up so I can be sure?

Also, sorry for hijacking this thread OP.

If you have access to an OBD reader, see what the engine is telling you. Have you found the ultimate Mitsu factory service manual repository yet?

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Yes I believe I saw someone else recommend it to Wherever I May Roam. You reckon I should ask the dealership to provide me with the codes that come up so I can be sure?

The dealership will charge you. Better to get/borrow a reader and pull them yourself, then look up in the service manual.

Cory, hey! No worries at all. We're all here to learn, no?

FSM can be found here: http://mitsubishilinks.com/

As far as scanning goes AutoValue on 17th and 37th can do a free scan for you.

Congrats on the truck: I saw the listing and it looked super clean, hope this is a minor issue for you. Keep us updated.

I'm literally blocks away from you in the beltline, so it'd be great to meet up once this thing blows over. There are a few more local guys in the Mitsubishi Gen3 Squad group on facebook as well (it's a lively place to be).

- Sergey

Last edited:

Invocandum

Cory, hey! No worries at all. We're all here to learn, no?

FSM can be found here: http://mitsubishilinks.com/

As far as scanning goes AutoValue on 17th and 37th can do a free scan for you.

Congrats on the truck: I saw the listing and it looked super clean, hope this is a minor issue for you. Keep us updated.

I'm literally blocks away from you in the beltline, so it'd be great to meet up once this thing blows over. There are a few more local guys in the Mitsubishi Gen3 Squad group on facebook as well (it's a lively place to be).

- Sergey

Definitely looking forward to meeting up eventually. I should maybe get Facebook just for that group.

Heard back from my boy at Kia that the issue is with the upper intake plenum gasket. They had the entire plenum off the motor when I first saw the Montero - so they must have bunged it up. Stuck in this loaner car for a while longer now while I wait for them to fix their mistake.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Definitely looking forward to meeting up eventually. I should maybe get Facebook just for that group.

Heard back from my boy at Kia that the issue is with the upper intake plenum gasket. They had the entire plenum off the motor when I first saw the Montero - so they must have bunged it up. Stuck in this loaner car for a while longer now while I wait for them to fix their mistake.
Yeah plenum had to be pulled to access one bank of spark plugs. Better them than you if it's not costing you anything, right? Lol.

Mitsu05

Fellow Canadians howdy!
Just got new to me Montero 05 limited. I am excited to get some tasteful mods on it.
I'm in Edmonton any suggestion for good mechanic in town for spark plug job. Also what are some great trails to take the Montero for adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger