New GM Medium Duty trucks. available with 4x4.

CodyY

Explorer
Somewhere in International’s literature I read that the 4x4 CV would have a (gear drive?) Meritor transfer case.
So realistically what axle is under the front of these? I'm guessing it's more than a D60?

What kind of tire would fit? I'm having visions of "super Raptor" but with a Bowtie

20cdb119b10d053665e72f9787a3c198.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
So realistically what axle is under the front of these? I'm guessing it's more than a D60?

What kind of tire would fit? I'm having visions of "super Raptor" but with a Bowtie

20cdb119b10d053665e72f9787a3c198.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think those fender flare were created with tin snips, a black rubbermaid trashcan and about 10 minutes of time.

watrboy

Observer
Funny that the 3/4-1 ton crowd "needs" 1000 ft/lbs of TQ...and the medium duties only get 700.

cv-commercial-grade-3.jpg

Those 3/4 - 1 ton engines are the same basically, just would not live very long in commercial service.
Ford has done this since the beginning. F-450 and 550 commercial service got the de-rated engine. F-450 with a pickup bed got the hot rod engine. I had no problems in fleet service with de-rated engines. My son works as a service writer in a Ford dealership and says the de-rated engine has fewer service problems than the pickup engines. But, I believe that has more to do with the amateur drivers and maintenance record.
I would expect Chevy/GM/International expect the same thing.

Dalko43

Explorer
I had a 2011de-rated durmax in a 1 ton cab chassis 4x4. It cost the same and offered zero benefit in the MPG dept. Not sure what the advantage to it was, it would start to get warm pretty quick pulling 15k up hill, my Rams or Ford never did that.

The advantage is that those engines will last longer and are normally warrantied for longer. That's why there is a market for those derated engines within the commercial/industrial segments.

900lb-ft to 1000lb-ft, besides being complete overkill for a typical weekend warrior pickup, will wear out parts faster than a 750-800lb-ft engine. And with all the torque management that goes on with these newer vehicles, owners really aren't getting all of that 900-1000lb-ft of torque in many driving scenarios.

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
I read that the trucks will be built by International, most likely at a plant in Texas.
And I also saw that the transfer case is gear driven, don't know by whom.
And, if what I read is correct, the 4x4 front axle is a Dana 60, with no option for anything larger.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
It's a want, not a need.

The torque ratings on these newer 3/4 ton pickup are starting to exceed the ratings of those diesel engines found in box trucks and the HD (Ram 4500/500 and Ford F-450/550) chassis trucks.

You don't need 900lb-ft of torque to tow a travel trailer. With a little less torque, but lower gearing, the chassis variants of these pickups tow far heavier loads all the time without any drama.

If an OEM offered a derated commercial engine for consumer use, I'd take it in a heartbeat over the current offerings.

have you driven a box truck? I've driven a lot of them and they suck lol they are gutless ... Its a great thing they are finally offering pickups with 900lbs of torque or more I cant wait for the day where they have a 10 speed transmission as well...
From my experience I disagree about that, I have towed trailers with trucks ranging from 500lbs -1500lbs of torque and when you are towing with 1500lbs of torque it pulls the trailer effortlessly
A Medium duty is heavier then a 1 ton or 3/4 ton, why should it have the same size engine? lol

Dalko43

Explorer
have you driven a box truck? I've driven a lot of them and they suck lol they are gutless ... Its a great thing they are finally offering pickups with 900lbs of torque or more I cant wait for the day where they have a 10 speed transmission as well...
From my experience I disagree about that, I have towed trailers with trucks ranging from 500lbs -1500lbs of torque and when you are towing with 1500lbs of torque it pulls the trailer effortlessly
A Medium duty is heavier then a 1 ton or 3/4 ton, why should it have the same size engine? lol

I'm sure that 900lb-ft feels better than 500lb-ft, but there is a price to pay for that performance, namely: degraded fuel economy and less reliability.

The medium duty chassis trucks tow far heavier loads all the time with derated engines; they're certainly not winning any drag races, but they expected to last longer under much more arduous working conditions. The OEM's should at least make those derated engines available to the individual consumers.

Explorerinil

Observer
It would be nice if manufactures could reduce the emissions hardware by derating the engines back to say, 500 ftlbs.
I got to be honest, 900 ftlbs of torque, 4:30 gears, low geared aisin trans makes towing anything a total breeze and fun to drive... but my old 04 5.9 with 555 ftlbs of torque got me by just fine and did decent on fuel. I wish ram would keep the g56 and the lower output cummins. My next truck will be a cc cab 4500, de rated cummins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998