New Goodyear MTR Design

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
G'day guys,

Frankly Im surprised no one has posted this over here yet, considering every other board has details of it.

New Goodyear MTR is out, sounds tuff by the description but looks abit weaker in the tread design.
108038.jpg

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...eadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

good thing thou, they have a size of 285/75x18 which is a 35.1 inch x 11.3 x 18 inch tyre.

awesome, now if only they had one to fit ona 16rim with that size!

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
Hmmmm, I'm puzzled by the new 18" size as its their only tire rated over 4k lbs. They've discountinued the 37x12.50x17 Load E which was the industry standared for Humvees and fullsize border patrol trucks but now have this unique 18" size, I wonder if the Mil is doing a retrofit?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
There is a previous thread on this one.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23324

You have to be quick on the ball to be first with new products.

The tread face is not too bad, but the stylized side lugging is what gets me.

Is is just me or does anyone else want a rugged utilitarian tire that does not have side lugging like it was designed by "pimp my ride" graduates.

Ok, that last sentence was a little harsh.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Personally, I actually like that tread pattern much better than the old one. Looks good.
x2 for all the hype I've never really carred for these tires. THey're next to useless here in the NW. Time will tell how this new tread pattern goes, but I like it better. Odd that it has asymetrical tread like that, are they assuming we all have bad camber on our trucks :)

Cheers

Dave

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The Humvees at the depot here in town (heavily uparmored) have 37x12.5R16.5 load range D MTRs. I dont know how the poor things survive at all, you can tell they are being pushed to their limits just looking at the way the tire is deformed sitting still. Those uparmored trucks weigh in at 12k+ I believe, before personnel and gear.

Hmmmm, I'm puzzled by the new 18" size as its their only tire rated over 4k lbs. They've discountinued the 37x12.50x17 Load E which was the industry standared for Humvees and fullsize border patrol trucks but now have this unique 18" size, I wonder if the Mil is doing a retrofit?

98dango

Expedition Leader
i wasent impressed with the second and now third desing of the good year mt. I had a set of the firsy vbar style thay where great then bought 37 12.5 when thay came out riped 2 right off the bat. Wated a few years and now have 4 mtrs with side wall rips in my yard as planters

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Interesting tread design.
But I'll stick with my BFG M/Ts. Just had a set of the KM2's put on the truck today. Got arounf 60,000 miles out of the last M/Ts , so hopefully I can get 40 or 50 out of the new KM version.:smiley_drive:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I like em', and they look like they could be a good choice for overlanding. Not too aggresive, but a little more so then your typical A/T.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
They look directional. I don't wanna carry two spares...
EDIT: I see Scott already pointed that out on the other thread. Any thoughts?

Yes, I understand the benefits of directional tires but I

1. Don't want to advertise the white letters unless they're giving them away, and
  2. Want to have an open rotation pattern for wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman