New Guy, '97 12 valve, Many, Many Adventures To Go!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I think its funny you say "I have a Drew". My name is also Drew...I'm not quite the size of your Drew but people use me for my size the same way you use him for his size haha!

Cant wait to see the final product.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking design. It seems to be functional and works well. My only concern is that the poles for the tent might hit gear inside the canopy when it folds down, and that you might need some pistons to control the floor lowering down. Thanks for posting as we are all looking forward to seeing more. Cheers, Chilli...:)

GJStringert

Observer
Corner jacks are wired, hydraulic opening is ALMOST done!

Hey folks! ripperj, SDDiver5, Chilli, thanks for checking in!

So I'm slowly making progress. The big hydraulic struts I ordered came in so I did my best to devise a linkage that will work with it and allow the camper to open up seamlessly. As you'll see in the video, we've almost smoothed out the bugs. One more day of solid pondering and head-scratching should have the opening and closing mechanism all figured out.

Today I got the jacks all wired up and the remote synced to the brain. These things are SWEET, WAY worth the extra $200 to go with a remote control! We loaded up the camper frame and toted it around town for a bit, to get a feel for things. All in all, I'll say I'm certainly pleased. I knew this would give me major body roll, but neither of my sway bars are attached and my airbags aren't installed either, so when the project is done that will likely be a non-issue.

Have a look at the following video! You'll see at the end even the neighbors are figuring out what the monstrosity of steel has been in my driveway haha!

I'll ask that you pardon three things: The burp at the beginning (I didn't think my camera was that good), my buddy Mike running under the camper to move the table (I guess he REALLY trusts my welds), and that nasty clunk after I shut the truck off (I rammed it into reverse before the engine was done shutting down. YIKES!)

That's all I've got for now. Still chipping away...

Take care!

Graham

tkic

this is gonna be so awesome. great work man. my favorite part of the vid: "aww @#$%!" followed by bang bang bang bang. sounds just like my garage.

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
Makes me miss my 95. Those Ranch Hand bumpers are tough. Tougher than a Dodges frame when you T-bone a car. Ask my wife...LOL. Its ok though, my family wouldn't fit in it if I still had it.

GJStringert

Observer
Opening Mechanism is FINALLY Figured Out, Solar Framing is in, Windows Have Begun...

Happy Wednesday fellow adventurers!

I am happy to say I FINALLY got the opening system all buttoned up. A quick disclaimer, though: It doesn't ALL lift on it's own. Unfortunately, with the way the hinges are set up, I just had no way to get a linkage/strut system to work reliably without binding up, so for now at least, the bed portion will have to be pushed open slightly (just past "90*", until gravity pulls it down). You'll notice I also took out a leg leg of the interior frame, and modified this one to open to 90*. Honestly I'm a fan of the previous shape/profile with 2 legs, but this kept it simpler, and I can justify it by saying it allows snow to runoff and not buildup in the center section! If I had a shop with another 15K in tools I'd be more than happy to devise another way, but I'm afraid this will have to do for now. It's ok though, in "rev 1" the whole thing was just going to open and close by hand, so this is certainly better than that! Check out the video:

Ok now that that fiasco is finally finished, framing solar and windows has started. Solar was simple, just cut and modify a few existing rails, and install a center one, and 2 out of 3 panels are accounted for!

(sorry these are from the garage, we got some wicked hail tonight so I had to work inside...)

I also got one of the windows framed, still have 2 to go.

Well it's not quite as much as my usual updates, but it's still rolling right along! Skin should be coming along sometime soon...

Take care folks!

Graham

GJStringert

Observer
"Skinning" has Started!

Howdy folks!

Been a while since I was able to get to the camper, been busy with work. Worry not, the project pushes forth!

Where were we? Ok, Friday we finished the window frames:

And "painted" the frame. I have painted in quotes because, as you'll see, only areas that I knew would be truly exterior got several coats of gloss black, while the rest of the frame was simply sealed with primer to protect it up from moisture.

And this picture cracks me up

We were outside, but we probably should have been wearing masks/respirators of some kind. Grand total was 13 cans of primer and 3 of black.

Finally, went to the metal place for some "skin". Alas, a jiffy mix of .035 and .050 Aluminum.

(OSB for floppage support).

Ok, that concludes Friday. Saturday, after brewing a bit-chin cup of caramel dark roast, skinning FINALLY began. Now I'll warn you, some of you may not like the look of the exposed screws on smooth aluminum. I have to be honest, I couldn't come up with a better way, and with the resources I have, this was the best I could do. So let's just say I took my inspiration from U-hauls and semi truck reefier trailers, with the external rivets/screws (or a Haulmark trailer, or something similar). The more I look at it, the more it's growing on me. I feel like it gives the camper a bit of a rugged look, and after a sweet paint job, it'll all round out just fine! Otherwise, I'll let the pictures talk…

And finally, some poser shots on the truck:

And that's where we sit as of Sunday night. I have 3 more sheets to cut and get mounted up, then the roof to skin in. The final hurdle to conclude the exterior will be getting the "corner bead" wrapped around the edges nice and cleanly, but I think we'll be just fine as long as the weather cooperates and I can stay patient enough to GET the corner bead up… Jeez the little details on this have added up exponentially!

Folks thanks for checking in and I'll do my best to keep the work coming on this! The July finish date is beginning to look more "tentative", but we'll see!

Take care!

Graham

WhiteEvo

Observer
Looking good Graham! Did you use any sealer between the aluminum skin and the frame? A bed-liner paint job would look good, what are your plans for the exterior?

L3TT3RS

@pooping_outside
I continue to be amazed with each update... truly awesome! In case I missed it, any idea how much this thing weighs or any guess on final weight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Halligan

Adventurer
Nice build. You have some serious fabrication skills. I see you have new wheels on the truck can you share what kind they are?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Looking good Graham! Did you use any sealer between the aluminum skin and the frame? A bed-liner paint job would look good, what are your plans for the exterior?

I was just thinking the same thing on a sealer/two sided tape. It would give a vibration damping and thermal break effect. Also, you will get dis-similar metal corrosion from putting aluminum on steel. It's not a big deal, but over time the steel frame and screws will begin to swap electrons back and forth with the aluminum skin, causing corrosion. You see a white residue around steel screws used in aluminum over time, this is what I refer to.

On the other point quoted, please try to resist the urge to bedliner the whole shell. It makes things look cheap in my opinion. You're doing such a nice job, I think it deserves a nice shiny finish!

Watch out for low hanging trees or flying rocks with those solar panels up front!

Truck Guy99

Sweet build! Love those 12 valves! The truck has come a long way to say the least. Looks sick. Sorry if it was mentioned before but what wheels are you running and where did you buy them? Thanks

GJStringert

Observer
Thanks all.

@WhiteEvo, yep, I used a bunch of construction grade silicon sealant stuff. All I know is it's exterior grade and stinks like crap... Seems to seal up nicely! Plans for the exterior are: a paint job of some sort, eventually.

@TTRN, I honestly couldn't tell you. My best guess is around 600-700 lbs, currently. My target weight is 1400, which leaves me 500 until I hit GVWR (I know I'll end up being over a few times, not a huge issue). The big killer will be the batteries!

@Halligan/Truck Guy99, thanks, and good eyes! Those wheels are about a week old! I knew coming into this project that I would eventually get a set of black wheels, and tint the windows a bit (still have to do that) to round out the black on grey scheme. They're just the generic Discount Tire brand, "MB", 16x9, with a "simulock" and keyed lugnuts. Got a screaming deal at $115 a piece. Gotta love Discount Tire! Never done me wrong!

@redthies, yup, "galvanic corrosion", I've read all about it... I think the aforementioned "some sort of paint job" should help with the appearance, at least. I'm not TOO worried. The only thing I may eventually bedline are my rocker panels under the door trim (refer to the "black on grey scheme" note, above!), but otherwise, worry not, I'm not a huge fan of bedliner on anything but a truck bed! Also, I'll try to find you a link. Somewhere on the company's website there's a video of people whacking golf balls at the panels and doing all kinds of crazy things to them (stuff I hope never to subject my panels to haha!). They're deceptively tough! I have thought about making them their own "brush guards" out of some round stock or something, that'd be kind of trick to have!

Thanks for stopping by folks!

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78