New Guy, '97 12 valve, Many, Many Adventures To Go!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Graham your truck looks incredible:drool:. It must be crazy having that much:Wow1: power. Have fun and thanks for posting. Cheers, chilli..:)

Paddy

Adventurer
Curious how your fuel economy is with the new engine. Very cool truck love the camper idea.

Trogdor

Observer
This is one of the nicest build I have ever seen, really nice work. I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my Cummins, and you have given me some great Ideas. Keep the build picks coming!

GJStringert

Observer
Thanks guys, sincerely. Been quite a project over the last couple years but this old rig is coming together really well.

My economy has actually been pretty good, when I can discipline myself to not just stand on the throttle everywhere I go. It's got so much power it's just stupid. When I take it easy and commute to work in it (my commute is about an hour 1 way), I'm seeing around 16-17 mpg primarily highway. I'd call that pretty good, considering the 8400 lbs empty weight and the high profile (tall suspension, roof rack, etc). It's got so much air now that there's not a single bit of un-burnt fuel, I imagine if it were a different theme of build (factory height, built more for towing), I could probably get 20 mpg or so. But it's 20 year old architecture so one can only do so much.

Take care folks!

t.Sparks

Observer
Read every page and I can say with confidence that I'm jealous of your truck. Got a 95 cummins myself that I'm slowly going to start building it here soon. Definitely subscribing to this thread, cant wait to see what the camper comes out to look like.

flash9588

North American Overland
Man...I'm so happy I found this thread! I've just recently decided that in the near future I'm making the jump from Toyota to Dodge. My plan is to flat deck a second gen 2500 long box ext cab then build a camper like yours. My design differs a little in design, choice of material and overall use but it's so encouraging to see that someone has done what I plan to do and that I'm not crazy for thinking I can build one too. It's also encouraging to see a young guy do th I get so hung up on those builds done by old guys with a lifetime's experience in building stuff, thinking that I could never build something as nice. It's amazing to see what you've brought together in your driveway. I'm definitely following along and waiting eagerly for more progress. Good work!

GJStringert

Observer
Got Some New Shoes!

Hey folks!

After lusting after some sort of mud terrain for years and years, I'm happy to say I finally own a set! I wanted Mud Grapplers, but I also wanted to be able to drive more than 20 minutes without getting a headache from the roar. I decided on some 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros, and MAN am I impressed. For an open lug knobby tire, these things are amazing on the highway. Highly recommend. Also had to get some new wheels, since a 315/75 is the biggest practical size for a 16" wheel, unless you jump to a 385/70, and that's a bit too big for this application haha. Now the big rig's rolling on 18x10 Moto Metal 970s with -24 offset, pretty much perfect. Got about 600 miles on the new set, and have only 2 problems to report: I can get the passenger front to rub the inner fender and full right lock if I hit a big bump, stuff like speed bumps and curbs seem to be the exception; the second problem is my speedo is off 12 mph at 80, and therefore my odometer is way off. Guess I'll be checking my mileage with google maps from now on haha! But I'm doing almost 400 less RPMs to go 80 so who knows, maybe my mileage will improve! I doubt it, but I'm an optimist...

I'd also like to give a shout out to Toyo. I got somewhere in the range of 50,000-53,000 miles (can't remember exactly when they were put on) out of my Open Country IIs. For an all-terrain on an 8,000 lbs truck, I'm very pleased. But they were balder than drag slicks...

Also, flash9588 and t.Sparks, thanks for stopping by! I'm sorry to say I'm not working on the camper anymore (see post #115, pg 12 I think?). "Life" kind of happened and I have been moving around so much for work that I just couldn't justify keeping it. I ended up cutting it up and selling several parts off of it. I still have 90% of the steel and aluminum that I plan to use to build a skid for my welders one day (and use the remote jacks to make it removable without a forklift!) once life settles down... and I just added to the chaos, because the little blonde passenger seat cover and I are engaged as of January 1st!

So we're going to be busy for a while, but I'll be in touch.

Happy 2017 everyone! Hope the new year brings many adventures and fun memories, and few broken parts haha!

Take it easy,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears