New guy from Texas

nmatcek

Adventurer
Hello all. Just joined the expedition portal not too long ago but haven't posted anything yet. I've been too astonished at all of the jaw-dropping rides on here to even bring my truck up. Anyway, I have a mostly stock Z71 Colorado that I'm looking to do a few things to. So far I only have a locking rear diff (factory G80), 2" lift, new wheels and tires, some Hella driving lights, and aftermarket skid plates for the radiator, front diff/oil pan, and t-case. Just wanted to say hi for now and looking forward to reading more of these interesting topics.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Welcome aboard to another Chevy guy. Post up pics of your rig when you can, we ALL love to oogle each others rides. :truck:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Welcome.

Sensible lift, skid plates, tires, and a rear locker. It sounds like you're off to a great start. Sliders, good recovery points, and some recovery gear is about all you need to add. That, and a hefty quantity of maps and a compass and you're all set.

nmatcek

Adventurer
xterraintx, I'm in San Antonio, what about you?

Welcome.

Sensible lift, skid plates, tires, and a rear locker. It sounds like you're off to a great start. Sliders, good recovery points, and some recovery gear is about all you need to add. That, and a hefty quantity of maps and a compass and you're all set.

To ^, I am currently looking for a set of sliders. It's hard to find any for the Colorado. I think I'm going to have to fab some up or get a set meant for a Tacoma and adapt them. I do have front recovery hooks but my only option in the rear is to get a shackle to use in my hitch receiver. I'm a little scared to use that though as it's only good for the capacity of the hitch. What do you guys think?

Spur

Adventurer
Hello all. Just joined the expedition portal not too long ago but haven't posted anything yet. I've been too astonished at all of the jaw-dropping rides on here to even bring my truck up. Anyway, I have a mostly stock Z71 Colorado that I'm looking to do a few things to. So far I only have a locking rear diff (factory G80), 2" lift, new wheels and tires, some Hella driving lights, and aftermarket skid plates for the radiator, front diff/oil pan, and t-case. Just wanted to say hi for now and looking forward to reading more of these interesting topics.

Howdy from Austin. How do you like your Colorado? My Mom has one and I've driven it a fair amount. It's a nice ride, but I felt like the 5 cylinder was underpowered for the vehicle. Do you feel the same way? Are you planning any engine mods? Look forward to seeing your mods.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
For sliders, will anything for the H3 work, or are they too short? I wasn't sure if the colorado had the same mounting points on the frame as the H3.

jcbrandon

Explorer
... my only option in the rear is to get a shackle to use in my hitch receiver. I'm a little scared to use that though as it's only good for the capacity of the hitch. What do you guys think?

I think it's fine. You may get some differing opinions (and that's a good thing) but I have used rear receiver hitches as recovery points for many years with no ill effects. What is your receiver rated to?

nmatcek

Adventurer
Howdy from Austin. How do you like your Colorado? My Mom has one and I've driven it a fair amount. It's a nice ride, but I felt like the 5 cylinder was underpowered for the vehicle. Do you feel the same way? Are you planning any engine mods? Look forward to seeing your mods.

So far I love my truck. The I5 does okay for me. In 4Lo it has plenty of grunt for trails but sometimes I wish it had a little more top end. Mainly on the highway. It is not to the extent that I would consider trading it in though and it is not really a hinderance to me.

For sliders, will anything for the H3 work, or are they too short? I wasn't sure if the colorado had the same mounting points on the frame as the H3.

I had the same idea about the H3 sliders as both vehicles are based on the same GMT355 chassis. I am in email contact with a company that makes them for the H3 and H3T (Rocky Road), and I'm just waiting to get some measurements from them.
I'll get pics up later today probably.
Thanks for all the welcomes.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Finally some pics

Ok, here are some pics of my truck.

These first ones are when I went to Big Bend Natl. Park
They are before I did any modifications other than wheels and tires
10.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

image.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

nmatcek

Adventurer
Here are some more recent pics after a few mods. I'm still waiting on my T-case skid. Should be here on Wednesday.

lightinstall003.jpg

lightinstall002.jpg

lightinstall007.jpg

miscpics069.jpg

miscpics073.jpg

I mounted some Hella 500s behind my grille by making this mount:

lightinstall004-1.jpg

lightinstall005.jpg

lightinstall006.jpg

I still have a LONG way to go before I'm done. Well...I will probably never be done but this is what I've started with.
Next on my list:
rock sliders (probably going to get a set for a taco and adapt it)
softtopper for bed area with rack for mounting cargo up top
storage chest for bed with aux deep cycle and camp lights

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998