New guy here, with my new rig: Volvo C303. I am a Happy Camper.

kleinrider

Observer
Let me just go on record as saying "you suck!". That is really cool; I've never seen one before now. Who knew a Volvo could be that sweet....

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Vtunimog

I wondered about how easy it was to bring this across the border. I understand now: simple and free border crossing with new truck; They let me in without paying a dime.

Go to get new tags and register it, however, oh that will be 1400$. **** very much, sneaky state license bureau.

I would have preferred a 4% tariff at the border like I was expecting over 8.8% sales tax. In hindsight, I should have documented the bill of sale a lot lower than what I actually paid for it. Word to the wise.

Getting across the border can be tricky, it all depends who is the entering officer and what their take is on the HTS for this vehicle. I have imported about 85-100 trucks since 1999 and each one is a different case. A broker can be a great help, you are lucky since the C303 is more or less a passenger vehicle, therefore 2.5% it's age helps with DOT/EPA. Keep in mind you don't get a full release from Customs for one year after entry your vehicle is here on bond and is subject to review. In one year you get a full release from them. Great looking truck, the C303 is a fun vehicle, simple to work on and easy to use. The B30 volvo is ubiquitous and easy to find parts for, I imported one for a buyer here in New England a few years ago and just loved how nimble and easy to use it was. That and it's big cousin the Scania SBAT 111 are great vehicles.

Enjoy ! and be safe.

Chris

MadMaxwell

Finally got around to beginning my restoration of the C303, my Zombie Apocalypse Response Vehicle. I will be documenting the project with videos on my youtube channel. The first few videos are up! Please consider that I have never done restoration of a vehicle, never owned a 4x4, never welded or used heavy shop equipment or recorded anything with video. SO, let the pain begin!

These first few videos are an intro to my C303, and then I begin using and reviewing the Multiplaz 3500, the welder/plasma cutting tool I got to do the body and metal work. Had a few folks ask to see how this thing worked, so Im posting that here also. I will post more as I get more done and (hopefully) get better at using it. Initially I am using it to weld the old seat brackets to accomodate the new seats. As anyone who has a truck and takes it offroad knows, things break. When they do, its nice to have a welder and plasma cutter you can take with you to get you up and running again.

the vids are on my youtube channel here:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnZGfqCAR33iBibOV1Hbpzg?feature=results_main

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Wow!

I've never seen the Multiplaz 3500 before, and after a few minutes on their homepage, I find myself thinking that this is a tool I could really get along with.

Thanks for the heads up!

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Neat rig! Please tell me more about the engine. I'm assuming its carbureted? Is the engine used in any passenger car apps? Can engine parts be purchased at the local Volvo dealer? Could you snap some pics of the engine?

MadMaxwell

Neat rig! Please tell me more about the engine. I'm assuming its carbureted? Is the engine used in any passenger car apps? Can engine parts be purchased at the local Volvo dealer? Could you snap some pics of the engine?

It has a 6 cylinder 164 B30 volvo engine, out of one of the 164 sedans, which is carburated. Has about 15Km on it, though that is not the original engine, it is nearly identical to the original B30 that was in it. Some people have done a variety of different power plants in them, including diesel and/or adding EFI, power steering.

I am considering a possible electric conversion eventually; the The price and weight of batteries has gone down a good bit lately, and the technology behind some of them, like the new lithium polymer, has gotten a lot better. Electric conversion has changed more in the last year than it has in the last decade. The charges last longer, self discharge/cycle life is better and weight is down. The Netgain Warp11 motor and Alpha Polymer batteries from would be my dream setup, though that would run about 10-12K$. The latest lithium polymer battery technology, called AlphaPolymer, claims:

• 400 miles on a charge;
• Recharges in 6 minutes;
• 5000 life cycles;
• 1/10th of the price of other lithium chemistries;
• NO fire risk (unlike the leaf, volt, tesla, etc.)
• You replace the batteries only every 20 years.
• 30% lighter than the Tesla battery pack.

(info from a great article here: http://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/lithium-polymer-batteries.html

Im thinking about the limited viability of combustion engines, particularly in light of a possible societal collapse, and doing something with alternate energy - while also learning about electric conversion, which I have a huge interest in. From the research I have done thus far, it seems like the c303 and the way it was designed to operate make it ideal for a conversion and that doing so would allow it to still retain its awesome capability as an offroad vehicle. Add in solar recharging capability and you have an almost unlimited expedition vehicle. Could fill my jerry cans with water instead of gas.

Andrewkawa

Hi Max,

Amazingly good looking C303. I am preparing to travel for 2 years starting 2014 and am currently realy trying to decide between the C303 or the C304 (6x6).
I think the previous owner will look back at his pictures and regret he sold it. :)
I will try to follow your progress and learn from your experiance while converting to your whishes.

Greetz, Andrew

thedjjack

Dream it build it
only problem with electric is if there is a Solar Flare and an electromagnetic pulse....always brings me back to mechanical injected diesel...happy to burn anything, no electric needed....

MadMaxwell

Just uploaded the next video, Part III in the restoration of the C303 Zombie truck. In this episode I review the new Bestop Trailmax Pro II seats, begin removal of the old interior panels and insulation and go over some of the body, wiring and existing problem areas.

Catch the vid here on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jvDMb9KVw

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
It was up for sale a bit ago - not sure if it sold. Seems the amount of rust repair was an issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998