New guy here with questions.

rockhound

Howdy all. I have been a lurker here for years. I have an 01 F350 4wd with an All Terrain Campers popup on it and enjoy reading all the cool stuff everyone does with their rigs.
I am really want to get a double cab Tacoma in the next year or so but I have been reading a lot of posts about transmission problems in the automatics. And how about overall reliability in 08's and 09's? Anyone have any feedback or experiences with this? Thanks a ton. JPS

Applejack

Explorer
There is a rule of thumb, and that is to avoid the first year of any significantly redesigned vehicle. '05 being that year. I should think that by mid '06 the bugs that some had, were worked out. That being said. I have an '05 D/C with the auto and haven't had any problems at all with anything on it. Almost to 70K miles and so far it's been your typical Toyota. I read many of the same things as you have, after purchasing the truck, and worried and fretted for nearly 50K, I'm over it now. It's a good truck, crappy mileage but a good truck none the less.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you're worried about the reliability of the auto, you can get the short bed DC with the 6 speed manual.

keezer36

Adventurer
There is a rule of thumb, and that is to avoid the first year of any significantly redesigned vehicle. '05 being that year. I should think that by mid '06 the bugs that some had, were worked out. That being said. I have an '05 D/C with the auto and haven't had any problems at all with anything on it. Almost to 70K miles and so far it's been your typical Toyota. I read many of the same things as you have, after purchasing the truck, and worried and fretted for nearly 50K, I'm over it now. It's a good truck, crappy mileage but a good truck none the less.

Exactly so.

I initially thought the truck had a peculiar way of shifting (always seamed to be in one gear higher than it should) until I loaded it down and drove across country. Now, either the truck changed or I changed, I don't know. Perhaps it's true what they say about an owner and his truck after they've been together for awhile.
At 74k, I'm liking this truck more all the time.
For a first model year, it is outstanding. No complaints.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader

I generaly agree. BUT, we are talking about Toyotas so in reality our "first year" bugs seem to be alot less frequent than other brands. Mate's got an 05 TRD-OR and has had ZERO issues. Question though: Do the 05+ models have the frame/fender issues???

Cheers

Dave

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Funny - I haven't heard any (persistent) bad things about the automatics. In fact, I've read about more troubles with the 6 spd manual than with the auto. The A750 has been used with several Toyota platforms (Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner), and has proven itself in the field.

If you are downsizing from an F350, don't expect the Tacoma to come even close for torque and pulling power though. Though its not a mini-truck any more, the Tacoma is a far cry from an F350....

tacollie

Glamper
I have an 05 with an auto and it feels really solid. I just had it in and at 58k they said it was also really solid. They are well built.

DblD

Adventurer
I too am considering a Tacoma Double Cab as a new daily driver. I’d soon like to retire the ’98 Discovery (172,xxx miles) to weekend driver status. I’m wondering about any changes that Toyota might have in the pipeline. Maybe someone here knows of body changes or mechanical changes or maybe you could point me to a good on-line source for this type information. Sorry for the hijack.

dd

jim65wagon

When I have an automatic (and most of my vehicles have been) I buy the largest transmission cooler I can fit in front of the radiator. A cool transmission is a happy transmission...

Just Me

I too am considering a Tacoma Double Cab as a new daily driver. I’d soon like to retire the ’98 Discovery (172,xxx miles) to weekend driver status. I’m wondering about any changes that Toyota might have in the pipeline. Maybe someone here knows of body changes or mechanical changes or maybe you could point me to a good on-line source for this type information. Sorry for the hijack.

dd

For 09 the Tacoma got a mild upgrade, so don't expect to see anything new for a few years.
Side Airbags are now standard on all Tacoma, There is an off button for the "Roll Sensing Curtain Airbags" for off camber four wheeling.
Traction Control is now standard, you have full control to turn off or on what you want.
Rear Camera in the tailgate is standard on the sport /off-road package.
LED Rear tail lights.
Extra power outlet and A-TRAC switch on lower center dash.
Prewired with antenna for sat radio.
Other small stuff.
If you buy a Tacoma make sure you get the tow package. You get a bigger battery, Alternator (130 Amp), oil cooler, and the auto gets a second trans oil cooler. It's also pre wired for a trailer brake.
I have not heard of any issues with the Auto, its been in use for 6+ years now. The 6 Speed manual had clutch issues back in 05, looks like that has been fixed.
I picked up a 4x4 09 Double Cab Off-Road and can't be happier.

mcm4090

Explorer
I generaly agree. BUT, we are talking about Toyotas so in reality our "first year" bugs seem to be alot less frequent than other brands. Mate's got an 05 TRD-OR and has had ZERO issues. Question though: Do the 05+ models have the frame/fender issues???

Cheers

Dave

The first year had a rear end problem. I believe there was a redesign in 2006.

tacollie

Glamper
The first year had a rear end problem. I believe there was a redesign in 2006.

Some of them. I have a heavy foot, lots of weight, and a heavy tail but my rear end is in great shape. I just swapped the fluid and it looked very good. I believe it was redesigned part way through 05, but not positive.

rockhound

Thanks for the input so far. I have another question. Does the double cab long bed truck have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft? I am leaning towards a long bed at this point. I really like the looks of the Tacomas now and want to get one before they redesign it and ugly it up like the Tundra. I am sorry but I can't warm up to that trucks looks.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yes to the carrier bearing question; both the SB and LB have a 2 piece DS with carrier bearing. That's a loooooooong way for a one-piece to travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12