New guy in Oregon

olypenjeeper

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and showoff a few pics. My name is Brian, I'm 32, a mechanic in the US Coast Guard and live in Astoria Oregon. I was born and raised in Falls Church Virginia, and moved out west when I enlisted in 2001. I ended up in Astoria on a ship for 3 years, and fell in love with the area. Then I was transferred to Port Angeles Washington on the beautiful Olympic peninsula. That's when I got into 4 wheeling, backpacking, flyfishing and exploring. We ended up moving after 4 wonderful years back to the east coast, Cape May NJ. and we spent 4 years there, and thankfully moved back to Astoria the summer of 2012 where we've been ever since.

This was my 2000 XJ, I put a 5 inch RE/OME lift on it and ran 33x10.50's. I also swapped in a dana 44 rearend, 4.56 gears with a truetrac front and Detroit rear. Eventually the Detroit became pretty annoying with a 5 speed, and I put a truetrac in the rear as well, still really capable and much better road manners. I also had a SYE on the transfer case, banks header, flowmaster 50, and a few other mods. It was a sad day when I sold it, but I really didn't want to move it cross country, and I was sort of over hardcore wheeling by that point.

I picked up an 05 Tacoma, 5speed, 4x4, 2.7 access cab. That was a great truck. Drove cross country twice and owned it for 5 years. The only thing I ever fixed on it was a wheel bearing at 100k. I had a very small lift, Bilstein 5100's set at 1.75, and a 1" block in the rear to level it. And I put on some 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. (great tire) I did a good bit of exploring back east, trips up to Maine and New Hampshire (I have relatives in Vermont) and trips into West Virginia with my brother.

in Moab on a cross country drive.

in Colorado, the west is the best! 4 years in NJ almost crushed my spirits lol

I sold it last year after searching for a few months for a T100. Finally found it in Spokane. A 97 with 135K owned by an old couple. and it was a 5 speed! I jumped at it, and flew to Spokane and picked her up!

the FIRST thing I did when I got her home was removing those running boards

Went through all the regular fluid changes and inspects. Then disaster struck! I was loosing coolant. After a cooling system pressure test with no visible leaks, block test and ultimately a compression test, my worst fears were realized! I started prepping for a top end overhaul, just when she went

It was my first Toyota rebuild, but went pretty smooth with a FSM and other online write-ups. I ended up getting rebuilt heads from Aluminum Head Rebuilders of Portland Oregon. There is no Machine shop anywhere close to me, and this was the fastest way to do it. and the price was really fair with my core returns. Solid people to do business with,

I also changed out the timing belt, ilders, waterpump, belts, hoses, radiator, and went with all Toyota gaskets and headbolts. took me a bout 5 days from start to finish. Solid compression now with 175-180 across all cylinders. Before it was about 125 (#5 the failed cylinder) to 155.

she was good to go after that

One of my steelhead spots

Found some Toyo MT's in 31x10.50's already mounted an balanced on craigslist, and a canopy for cheap off a 1st gen tundra

I've run through and done the ball joints, new shocks KYB monomax, O2 sensors, fuel filter, NGK wires and denso plugs, installed Aisin Hubs, and rear U-joints Matsubas, and a driveshaft carrier bearing by Timken. As well as all the fluids.
I plan on eventually paining the canopy to match, and installing Thule bars. I'd like to run a 235/85r16 tire, these Toyo's are HEAVY. I'm looking at the Cooper ST Maxx or Duratracs in the tall skinny. She's a good truck, and has way more power than my 4 banger Tacoma. And more room too.

well thanks for reading all this stuff! maybe I'll see a few of you guys out on a steelhead river:beer:

Derek24

Explorer
Nice thread! Like the taco, but love the T100. I had a 98 and loved it. They are getting harder and harder to find now a days, almost like the 1st gen Tundras, people just hold on to them! I hear you on the Toyo's being heavy. I recently got ride of mine on my FJ. They were 295/70/17, very heavy, replaced with Firestone Destination MTs, about 23lbs less per tire! Keep the updates coming!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, seems like we're getting a lot of T100 builds! Great platform, ahead of its time, I think.

That Tundra topper is a perfect fit, too. Looks good!

I can understand falling in love with the PNW. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm from Colorado I would have done so too (I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA, from 1989 - 91.) Only thing I couldn't get over is the rain all winter long, but summer is glorious there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78