New guy looking for guidance, new tech or old simplicity

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Hey, I'm new on this site and trying to find some inspiration for optimizing my truck for the long term or deciding if I would be better off with a different base unit down the road. I have a 2011 F-350 diesel 4x4 ccsb srw with a midrise, fiberglass canopy with vented side access doors, a cargo master ladder rack and a pretty slick set of plywood toolboxes and drawers. Oh and the truck has a factory rear diff locker :)
I own this truck for work purposes and plan to have it for a couple more years minimum and have tried to set it up as best as possible for both worlds without going overboard due to the uncertainty of how long I want to own it. We do a fair bit of camping off the beaten path but I would like to start doing some longer trips (Alaska, down the west coast, etc) in the 1-2 week range and would love to do a longer transcontinental trip!

My big concern is the debate between the reliability and technological advancement of a new diesel truck which makes me cross eyed looking in the engine bay, vs the older and much simpler vehicles which I would be more likely to be able to work on myself out in the sticks but also more likely I'd have to.

My buddy fixes just about everything himself on his old 7.3 F-350 because it's very simple and easy to do, but it also seems that there is always something he has to fix...
My truck lost my speedo once because an ABS wheel sensor got broken off and went into limp mode once because the water sensor in the fuel separator got broken off...

I have a lot of great ideas I could do with my truck but I'm not sure if I want to commit to it for the long run or just make due for a while longer and then start with something like an Excursion or an old Land Cruiser.

Thanks for the insight

Attachments

• P5200035.jpg
    P5200035.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 17

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Rule #1 is always go with what you HAVE vs waiting to build something...mainly just so you can spend more time in the outdoors vs the garage.

But having said that there is also the debt issue of something 2011 vs something older that is paid for. That is a bigger life question.

I will say your rig looks great the way it is and if you can just hit the dirt the way you are then do so and enjoy it out there.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Do you have a floor shift Xfer case and Manual hubs?
-
If so, your '11 Superduty is the perfect mix of old and new. The Superduty suspension, drivetrain, and frame is all the best of olde school beef. The '11 engine is, so far, as reliable as the 7.3's were, give or take issues with any of it's 87 radiators. Keep in mind, the '99 7.3's really weren't that reliable at first.
-
If you can add manual hubs, do it. If you have the lame switch/push button xfer case shifter, then learn how to bypass that under the truck incase you ever need to. Also keep in mind that most older trucks had flimsy, pathetic, drivetrains compared to your current truck. Can't beat the Dana 60, 10.5, NV271 setup. Saddly though, the 5.4L, 6.8L, 6.2L gas Superduties are the Top Guns of pickup truck reliability (in my experience) even if it is going to cost you in gas, it's usually still cheaper in the long run, which is why darn near all SRW trucks in fleets are gasoline.
-
Get rid of those stupid running boards, Ford step tripping things, Damage multipliers, Immediately! And service your own engine so you don't have to worry about dumby techs snapping off your FF sender again.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Half million dollar Earthroamers are built from similar Super Dutys with that same powertrain, so it must not worry too many people.

Invest in high-end fuel filtration, and use a good fuel additive to add back some of the lubricity lost in ULSD

Enjoy your truck, they're so pleasant to drive cross-country

drifter_r6

Observer
I'm having the exact same debate too with myself. I replaced a extremely reliable 2000 F350 7.3 with a 2012 F350 6.7. All the computers/sensors/gizmos is what worries me. So far the 2012 has been reliable, I have been into the dealer a number of times for "bugs" in the system requiring several firmware updates and reflashes and a couple faulty sensors required replacement. Luckily nothing has left me stranded but when the engine management display tells you "vehicle will shut down in 50 miles" and you are 250 miles from home, you tend to worry. Luckily that issue resolved itself in 30 miles.

I figure, sooner or later we all need to upgrade. All the new tech is what gives us our efficiency and previously unheard of power to mpg ratio. Kaisen brings up a good point, there are a number of hard use companies out there using the new Ford platform (Tiger, Earthroamer, Sentinel Armored Tactical, Fleet vehicles... etc). I'm sure if reliablity was a major problem they would be looking elsewhere. Only time and lots of driven miles will tell...

SD.jpg

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Half million dollar Earthroamers are built from similar Super Dutys with that same powertrain, so it must not worry too many people.

Invest in high-end fuel filtration, and use a good fuel additive to add back some of the lubricity lost in ULSD

Or run 5% biodiesel as that has WAY more lubricity than any additive will provide. All in all I think your truck is pretty darn good for exploring.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Thank you all for your input, I think I'm going to go full out with this truck and plan on keeping it long term. Once it's work life is done I can always throw a pop up in the back or do some thing different :)
Don't be confused by my original post, I use this truck off road hard (it's been on some pretty hairy trails, including quad tracks, and mud like crazy at my previous job) I just wasn't convinced that this was the right rig to really go to town with and I don't like polishing turds so to speak :)

As for the bio diesel, our summer fuel around here seems to be blended with "up to" 5% but I have not found an actual bio diesel station ANYWHERE! In lieu of that I run Power Service as often as I can be bothered... not often in summer, always in winter.20130428_182143_17848.jpg

SightPicture

Observer
Hey your truck is my trucks big brother! Seriously though, like its already been said. Why go back in time? You've got a powerful truck with lots of payload/towing capabilities and still comfortable. I also like your choice in toppers. I personally think you'd be making a big mistake going another route and ditching the SD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998