New guy with dumb solar questions

Hello,
So let me start by saying thank you for reading this. So I purchased a 100w solar kit from home depot. On sale. Screenshot_20190727-140837_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190727-140837_Chrome.jpgthis one. I know the charge controller will be junk. Was looking at this one to replaceScreenshot_20190727-134955_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190727-134955_Chrome.jpgwould only be to charge a group 24 deep cycle battery and a power inverter. So would this work? Thanks again

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Once you fool with it you’ll be a solar fan. I built a 18ah battery system 7 yrs ago my controller is similar $30 Amazon item. I use 2 10watt panels. Still going strong on the 2nd battery

I've got a 1500/3000w inverter I scored a deal on that's been sitting new in box for a year. Might figure a way to add that to everything else and have a solar system for my tacoma for camping. But really cant think of anything I'll plug into it. Lol... but I like the idea of a new thing to play with.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So what do you power with it?
Everything except the panels is contained in a 50cal ammo box. Box is mounted to the front plate of my 4x6 Lifetime tent trailer the original one with two full sized beds on each side.
We power strip lights in the tent, 12v charging puck, tongue box light, and a ATV LED spot light on the back of the trailer for the after dark camp arrival. Works great we do CA coast stuff, did 9 days Yellowstone and did 12 days recently Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Moab North rim.

No fridge. 12 day trip the old Coleman used 3 blocks of ice and three bags of crushed ice.

No inverter. Though wife did use a tiny inverter thats about 13yrs old to charge her laptop and work during the long road runs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger