New Guy

vince666

Hi Guys,
Next plans are to cut some windows into the sides and fit some water tanks underneath. I also hope to fit some external storage within the body for food and cooking utensils, having to go in the truck to get things all the time is a pain! Cutting holes in the body is a bit more complex due to the galvanized space frame, I've tried to get drawings of the construction but the manufacturer has gone out of business. Magnets won't work because there is a layer of steel sheet sandwiched in the fiberglass layer at various locations. So I have cut out a couple of test holes from the inside-very carefully, lol.
Stu, most of our camping for the next couple of years will be in the cooler parts of Oz, my Son and I are both restricted with time due to school and work commitments, so I chose the gas option for that reason.
With regard to painting the trailer, I'm disappointed with the performance while towing the tandem, I'll have to get the truck on a weigh bridge and see what it weighs, some research on the net says the ambo body is 1.5tonne, I've stripped out most of the surplus weight but maybe a turbo and intercooler is on the way? I'd rather not go that way as I'd prefer the engine standard for reliability but we'll see.
Thanks
Paul

Thylacoleo

Another ex military Canter.

Hi Vince,

how is the conversion coming along? I've been eagerly waiting for an update as I'm seriously thinking about following your lead and purchasing an ex ADF Canter, probably one of the workshop trucks with lifting sides. Have you put it on a weighbridge yet? I'm interested to know how much it weighs empty. Any further information on the structure of the the module, like where can you cut holes without hitting the frame? Any hints or tips that you are able to pass on? I took one for a short test drive the other day and was pleasantly surprised by its performance, comparative lack of noise and modest turning circle. If I go ahead with this it will be, I hope, a fairly quick build aiming at functionality rather than luxury. I have a mate who has a lot of experience in yacht fit out who will be helping me. Hopefully we can exchange information as we go along.

cheers

Gareth

vince666

Hi Gareth,
I've fitted some windows, and done some other minor work to it, I have some pics of the internal framing and how we got around that, the windows make a huge difference to the comfort and airflow.
Haven't had a chance to weight it yet though.
I'm away for a few more days will post some pics when I return.

vince666

Hi all,
finally got around to getting some pics, havent done much but fitted 2 side windows, fixed the rear body aircon and fitted a set of Kym Bolton's super single rims and Hankook tyres. Will be heading of on a 2 week trip soon for some fishing and R&R so will give some feed back re the tyres on a longer run, but so far so good, ride is much improved, can't comment on the affect on gearing as haven't been on the freeway yet.
Some trimming of the front guards was required so i need to refit the rubber mudflaps prior to heading off anywhere.
Need to fabricate a new spare wheel carrier and i'd like to fit an awning so we dont have to climb up on the roof to attach a tarp.
Also looking to fit a water tank underneath the rear body

Attachments

• P5070079a.JPG
    P5070079a.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P5070065a.JPG
    P5070065a.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 8

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi Vince,

The truck looks great. I can't get over how tiny the new tyres make the old 750/16's look.

Anthony

vince666

Hi Alan,
I went for the Hankook Dynapro Mud Terrain in 37x12.5R17LT, they are 129Q, 10ply sidewalls and rated for 1850kg per tyre.
I'm not affiliated in any way with Kym Bolton and have never actually met him, but I must say he was a pleasure to deal with regarding the purchase of his rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12