New GXV Expedition Vehicle.

foxhunter

Adventurer
So couldn't one just put goodyear Mv/T 395/85-r20's rated at 68 mph on this truck? I can fully understand not wanting to run down an interstate at 55 mph when the rated speed is 80mph. That is dangerous too. I confess I run 62 mph on Michelin 395/85 r20 XZL's, when on the interstate. I am in the process of getting a tire monitoring system though, so I can watch temps and pressures at highway speed

762X39

Explorer
So couldn't one just put goodyear Mv/T 395/85-r20's rated at 68 mph on this truck? I can fully understand not wanting to run down an interstate at 55 mph when the rated speed is 80mph. That is dangerous too. I confess I run 62 mph on Michelin 395/85 r20 XZL's, when on the interstate. I am in the process of getting a tire monitoring system though, so I can watch temps and pressures at highway speed

It's interesting how 18 years after I purchased my Mog the same issues still come up. Katherine and I learned to slow down rather than try to modify the truck to go faster. These vehicles do not belong on an Interstate at 80 MPH. Take the backroads and slow down. Make other plans. Just my opinion after 35 years of travel with Katherine and 50 years of travel overall.:coffee:

Last edited:
At the risk of being labelled a pest, I agree with 762x39. Running on the German autobahn at 10kph over the truck speed limit, at 90kph like all the other trucks in the right lane, cars pass me at tremendous speeds (up to 160-200kph) in the left lane. My rear tires run a full 20F cooler than at 59-62mph (95-100 kph), based on pressure rise which is continuously monitored by the CTIS. At 90kph the temp hovers JUST below 167F (114psi which corresponds to a 90-95 deg F rise from am temp) , which is apparently a critical temp for tires. Since I'm scared *******less of a blowout at speed, I may reduce my "North America speed" to 55. To be exact: I start with 95psi in my rears in the am. In Europe it rises to 114-115. I've seen as high as 121 in North America but usually at 60mph it stabilizes at 118, and 1 psi~5 deg F.
Charlie

Last edited:

srqsup

Observer
The tires on these type of vehicles are usually rated at 55 miles an hour not 70 miles an hour. Feel economy drops drastically about 55 miles an hour my Unimog has portal gears in the hubs and the FMTV has similar planetary gears in the hubs. My 4x4 U500 gets about 9mpg at 55 to 60 miles an hour. A 6x6 MTV could expected to get 6-7 mpg on the highway.
I drive 55 to 62 miles an hour (when conditions allow) in north America and Australia, never over 55 in Europe and of course slower when conditions demand.
Outside these parts of the world live are very few highways that would allow driving at high speeds.
Charlie

Our Michellins are rated for 70mph. And the truck runs great at 65mph. We just filled up after 1353 miles and averaged 6.88mpg!

Last edited:

srqsup

Observer
I am sorry I just saw your post. We left Wisc and are almost in Glacier Nat Park. GXV dos all the axel work and unfitted the cabin with dynamat, leatherette, interior lights etc. with 3/4 in sound undulations it's very quiet.

wrinkledpants

If you don't mind me asking, what was the approximate cost to convert it from military to civilian (including the paint, etc)? I'm part-time military and have often lusted over a project like this (FMTV + GXV box). We have a deposit down for a Sprinter 4x4 from SMB, but this will likely be the next step for us.

Just started following you in IG. Looking forward to project updates and trip reports!

silvrzuki77

explorer
Ditto on wrinkledpants question. Rough cost on the box install would be awesome.

Just saw the last auction prices in Yermo CA.... Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srqsup

Observer
Once you purchase the vehicle from GovPlanet.com it's basically a blank canvas. You can spend as much or as little as you want. Also the cost will greatly depend on who does the work. On my M1083 I had 3/4 inch sound and vibration isolation put in , air ride seats, leatherette wall and door paneling, the interior fully repainted and all the misc pieces were powdercoated. The exterior was painted new LED headlights installed, the frame was extended 4'. Two more 100 gal fuel tanks added, new gear carriers installed, air line replaced, engine and transmition serviced,boxes built for the generator, gray water tank etc. For pricing I would refer you to Rene at GXV. She can give you a hard numbers for your specific project.
For more info and additional pictures please go to www.twoifoverland.com
Thank you

MLu

Adventurer
Absolutely beautiful truck. I've been lurking about your website previously and was surprised to find you were selling the Sprinter, but this just got a whole lot more interesting.

As far as the speed discussion... in Europe commercial trucks are equipped with a limiter set at 89km/h (55mph) and the speed limit is 80km/h for them, that's why they are all going about 90 kmh, riding on the limiter on the highways. The whole discussion of trying to make an enormous offroad truck do more than 100km/h sounds a bit... much.

Bob599

Observer
thanks for your reply's. Next time your in Wi I would love to buy you two dinner and ask you quesiton's for an hour!!! For now I will give GXV a call.

srqsup

Observer
That's a deal! Check out blog twoifoverland.com or our FB or IG pages to see where we are and our paths may intersect sooner then Wisc.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Lost in this discussion, the main point of re-gearing a low geared truck like this is to lower RPMs to put the engine into a more comfortable and suitable range. These motors don't like being wound up to 3100rpm. Should help on fuel mileage as well but less than you would expect due to the fact that you're pushing a giant refrigerator shape through the air. From a safety perspective it can be hugely useful to be able to make quick increases in speed for very short periods. Passing, avoidance etc.

Btw people are gearing these things all the time over at SS.

HowardH

Adventurer
the main point of re-gearing a low geared truck like this is to lower RPMs to put the engine into a more comfortable and suitable range. These motors don't like being wound up to 3100rpm.

I am interested in what is meant by "don't like", red line is established by Caterpillar and the engine will run comfortable and safely at that RPM. I think it's virtually impossible to use up one of these motors in a non-commercial use.

Put higher gears in; the engine is putting out LESS horsepower at the same MPH that will result in higher top speed but you are going to get there slower not quicker.

To state that changing the gearing will put the engine into a more suitable RPM range is saying that the trained experienced professionals at Caterpillar, Allison, Stewart & Stevenson and all the others who contributed don't know what they are doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12