new helinox chairs :)

GFA

Adventurer
I think I'm going to pick up one of the new camp chairs. I have the chair 1 and really like it but at 6'6" and 260lbs, it's not the easiest chair to get up from sitting so low to the ground. A family of 4 camping out of a JKU needs all the space and weight savings possible so chairs like these are the ticket compared to the folding sling chairs.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I found the Sunset Chair for $115 at a kayak show yesterday. I bought it, knowing I would never see that price again. So now the Big Three for kayak camping have become the Big Five: tent, mattress, sleeping bag, Helinox Cot One, and Helinox Sunset Chair. Had to get a new kayak to hold it all. I hope this won't turn into the Big Six. We have to draw the line somewhere.

I wouldn't rate the Sunset Chair as supremely comfortable. It's constricting and digs in under your thighs compared to a plain old webbed lawn chair. (It's like a hammock: your weight pulls the fabric tight around you. In fact it is a sort of hammock as the fabric is suspended from the poles.) But maybe it's supremely comfortable if the alternative is a tree stump or nothing. Often there is no seating at all available at backcountry campsites. So yeah, I'm glad to have it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
my question would also be the poles on this might not be that great and have greater failure along with the sewing ?
max load says ABOUT 100kg so maybe they are saying max load is about 220 lbs its the ABOUT that has me laughing :) that says all ya need about durability maybe ? so half as strong as the helinox rated at 145kg

its not the made in china its the made with nobody to back it or anything so its purely a copy only based on price point and nothing else that makes me sketchy when it comes to knock offs so when it fails ? throw it out

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Today I sat in the Helinox Camp Chair. The store didn't have the Sunset to compare them side by side, but the Camp Chair felt like the seat was the same height as the Sunset. Is that correct?

In that case, the only reason to buy the Sunset would be to use a pillow with it, because if you don't use a pillow the Camp and the Sunset feel the same (to me), because your head doesn't touch the back of the Sunset without a pillow---the chair is angled back quite a bit.

GFA

Adventurer
I went ahead and bought the camp chair and love it. I'm a big dude, 40" waist, 6'6" tall and 260lbs and it's as comfy as can be even for long periods of time. Getting out of it is much better than my chair1 because of the additional height. It's definitely a keeper

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool and congrats :)
I think the sunset is just higher back have not seen the camp in person :) but the specs seem to verify its just the back !
agree on leaning back pillow kinda thing your back comes off I imagine in about the same spot in both :)

I do think its a solid update all around and the small extra width and height and thicker legs actually did more for stability than I thought and just those extra couple inch height is also nice :)
and still very small and very light :) funny I must have went through 20 chairs trying to find one I liked and am very happy

I have two sunset now as the wife wanted one :) our kids 6 and 11 get the original and going to keep the other two I think to bring along as extras

seems more or less like the flex lite, which is about half the price...no?

Attachments

• 93402490-7c9a-4c07-a3f4-08be676b0ef1.jpg
    93402490-7c9a-4c07-a3f4-08be676b0ef1.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

GFA

Adventurer

Sort of but not quite. The new helinox camp and sunset chairs (not to be confused with the helinox chair1) sit higher off the ground, nearly the same as a typical dining chair whereas the flex lite sits much lower (like a beach chair) making it less comfortable in my opinion and harder to get out of. The flex lite also digs into my shoulders at the poles as the back is also much lower than the helinox camp and sunset chair. The helinox chair1 is pretty much the same as the flex lite though it is more comfortable than the flex lite as it digs into my shoulders quite a bit less. It's just a little more well refined in my opinion and the camp chair is just in a whole different league of its own. I can take about 30 minutes in the chair1, 10min in the flex lite and so far indefinitely in the camp chair.

Honu

lost on the mainland

well the new ones are nothing like these :) (or ditto Knot knormal) the original one is more like it but the Helinox is better IMHO :)
video I did on the original vs rei

also bought a lafuma one but went back to REI right away not a good design IMHO and posted on it somewhere else very unstable and not good on anything but hard flat ground I found but that is just my thoughts :) I do think chairs are something again that one has to buy and try out some time and decided

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I used the Sunset chair for the first time today for a kayak day trip. It fit easily in the hatch and assembled in one minute. I was impressed with the comfort. It made my lunch stop much more pleasant. I do have to say I find the back too narrow. It's a suspended chair so it has hammock effect and constricts you along your sides if you're not svelte. Still glad I got it.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
The sunset chair I saw somewhere had the storage bag attached via Velcro to the headrest area. You stuff a sweatshirt of something in there and it makes a neck roll or pillow.

Pitchpt

Observer
I cannot speak for the Helinox, but found the REI version completely inadequate for me. Granted, like Knot Knormal, I am a size outlier; at 6'9" and 240#. I was under the REI chair's weight limit, but the chair felt completely unsafe with me in it. I think this was the effect of my weight, and longer lever arms, that overwhelmed the light weight construction materials. I wanted to like it, as the space savings would be considerable for me. But, I will stick with my substantial OzTent King Kokoda chairs in the interim. The hammock-style chairs in general do not seem to do well for bigger/heavier individuals, and the plastic/aluminum legs and lightweight materials were a long way from facilitating relaxation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998