New Hemi Mopar Jeep Wrangler Apache | 2012 Easter Jeep Safari

WMac

Adventurer
"Jeep enthusiasts have been asking for a V-8 powered Jeep HEMI Wrangler, and Mopar is coming through. Debuting at the Easter Jeep Safari will be the new Mopar 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 engine conversion kit specifically for the Jeep Wrangler. Producing approximately 470 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque to the rear wheels, the Mopar V-8 conversion kit gives Jeep enthusiasts an unprecedented blend of power and capability.

Available this summer, the Mopar Wrangler V-8 conversion kit initially will mate to Chrysler Group's W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission, and eventually to the six-speed manual transmission that drives the 2012 production Wrangler.

Other performance parts on the Jeep Wrangler Apache are Mopar Pro 60 5.13 front and rear axles, a 4.5-inch Stage 3 long arm lift kit and off-road bead-lock wheels. Aesthetic and functional modifications include high-clearance flat fenders, rock rails, front and rear half-door kits, a Stinger front bumper, a Warn 9.5ti XP winch, Katzkin leather seats, a locking center console box and a Mopar branded interior."

See more here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.414929635187699.115336.167943056553026&type=3

Last edited by a moderator:

haven

Expedition Leader
"the Mopar Wrangler V-8 conversion kit initially will mate to Chrysler Group's W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission"

That's the 5 speed automatic that Wrangler uses behind the Pentastar V6, standard in 2012. I'm impressed. I thought this autobox wasn't capable of handling 450+ ft lb of torque.

I'm still skeptical about running that much torque through the rest of the Wrangler's drivetrain (transfer case, diffs, lockers, drive shafts and u-joints)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm still skeptical about running that much torque through the rest of the Wrangler's drivetrain (transfer case, diffs, lockers, drive shafts and u-joints)

I'm a regular on AEV's forum, and I've near heard of a single person having problems with any of those after the Hemi swap.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think using the new 5-speed auto is great. That automatic has seen some high torque diesel applications I believe overseas?

Now, just make it a 'normal' 5.7 VVT hemi conversion......oh......and offer it from the FACTORY! Gees. I just can't see why they don't. I have heard crash test issues......

AND....give us a diesel option already. You already make them in the USA! Just sell them here too! I will give an ear-full for the guys at the Jeep booth like every year. They all tend to agree, and you get the feeling that they get the diesel question A LOT. Maybe they should bring some bean counters to EJS this year to answer questions!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
It would be so easy for the factory to produce the ultimate JK. All the parts are already built - the Power Wagon has the axles, motor and tranny available right now. I'd seriously consider selling my Power wagon for a JKUR built with the same drive train. That said, the 3.6L in our '12 JKUR is a pretty impressive motor as is. I just wish the JK was rated a wee bit higher on towing...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
5.7 VVT hemi conversion......oh......and offer it from the FACTORY! Gees. I just can't see why they don't. I have heard crash test issues......

My personal opinion is that Jeep can't politically justify offering a vehicle from the factory that gets ~15mpg in the year 2012.

How many vehicle ads do you see these days that don't include the words "fuel efficient"?
It's just too big of an issue for them to go "backwards".
Also I think it would hurt their chances of meeting the coming CAFE standards, which I've already seen a quote about from the high-ups saying they are looking at "alternative options" to get there. (which I read as diesel and/or electric)

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
From my understanding the VVT hemi jeeps did abut the same or better as the stock 3.8. It will be interesting to see how the 3.6 compares in all this. Just because you have the power doesn't mean its necessarily going to be less efficient in the long run.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
From my understanding the VVT hemi jeeps did abut the same or better as the stock 3.8. It will be interesting to see how the 3.6 compares in all this. Just because you have the power doesn't mean its necessarily going to be less efficient in the long run.

You can read plenty of mileage reports on AEV's forums.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Summary? Last I heard from AEV the 5.7 vvt hemi was beating out the 3.8 at least. The 3.6 seems to be getting less than advertised across the board....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Summary? Last I heard from AEV the 5.7 vvt hemi was beating out the 3.8 at least. The 3.6 seems to be getting less than advertised across the board....

It's hard to say, because practically everyone with a hemi has 35s or bigger and a lift and heavy bumpers.

My gut summation of the numbers says hemis are getting something like 15-17mpg (maybe as high as 19)
the 3.8 was probably something like 17-19 (maybe as high as 21)
the 3.6 is something like 19-21 (maybe as high as 23)

(those numbers are completely my gut feeling, I don't own any of them)

I have every finger I own crossed in the hope that the new CAFE standards will force Jeep to offer the Wrangler in a diesel, even if they don't particularly want to.
At 28mpg combined in the GC, the new 3.0 would be a massive improvement over the above numbers.

-Dan

udoxx

Observer
May not be a fair comparison but my 2009 5.7 VVT Hemi in my Commander saw 20 MPG one time and she was brand new moving downhill at 70 mph in NM. I have not gotten over 17 highway since and now with a 2inch lift and 32s I am lucky to see 16 on the highway. The norm is about 14-15 mpg highway.

My 2012 Rubi can hit 18 mpg on the highway but normally sees 17 and that is stock.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Tough call....

I did a little digging on the 2012 JK automatic. I guess its rated to over 700ft/lbs in other applications? It's also the factory automatic on the SRT-8 with the 6.4 hemi?

It would be interesting to see how the 5.7 VVT and new 5spd auto with proper gearing would do in a stock JK. Anyone want to just build that up to try it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears