new here w/ a 2wd ... is it possible?

WildBill

Observer
well here is my truck. 2009 chevy 4.8 2WD. it has a 2.5" CCM leveling kit. Terra Grapplers. XD 18s. It used to have a Tru Trac in it until it went boom 2 weeks ago. so now im a one wheeler peeler again. it has 4.10 gears and a HPtuners tune in it. cold air. bed liner. and tool box of course.

DSCF1119.jpg

future plans are to make my own skid plate for the front to replace the factory one. install a roll up bed cover, different programmer, water proof seat covers, re-do the rear end. add a 3" lift spindle and remove the spacer. evenually throwing in some GMR uppers and adjustable coil overs. i wanna add the factory fog light kit as well as a after market light bar of some sort.

i hope to make it a capable 2wd. all the 4x4s on here make me wish i had my Z71 back but it is what it is. maybe if you have a fullsize 2wd we can get our own thread going to make others feel better about there lack of a front differential lol :victory:

TurboChris

Adventurer
Great looking truck. You'd be surprised what you can make it through...seems to me so much of the "Overlanding" that most of us take on would be fine for your truck...and a winch would be invaluable.

delm

I've lurked on this forum on and off over the years. I've been doing a ton of homework on offroading, in general. Not so much overlanding, but trail riding.

I've come to the conclusion that the right 2wd can do some incredible things.

Prerunners are great, for example.

I own a Tomcar. Tomcars are not expedition vehicles. While I have mine set up for getting deep into nature, they are simply not intended for the same purpose as the vehicles on this forum. Nonetheless, Tomcars are 2wd, and I've been blown away by what I can do with 2wd.

My point is, this is the vehicle you've got, and you want to make the most of it. I think you can make an awfully capable truck off of a 2wd platform. Just be sure to include a winch or two into your plans, and learn its limitations. And buy a Spot and travel with a companion! :)

D

Deleted member 9101

I rock the 2WD and will probably never have another 4 x 4. For me the benefits do not out weigh the cost, maintenance, or extra parts to break. But, I also don't plan on going where others choose to tread.

But I will say I have been all over this great country and never needed a 4 x 4...but it would have been nice at times...lol

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Most of my recent trips could have been completed in a mini van, and I had a great time for every one!

Just sayin'

haven

Expedition Leader
2WD without a locker or limited slip is at the bottom of the trail runner's totem pole. You'll need to be extra careful, and it will be best to travel with another vehicle so your buddy can pull you out of the ditch.

But that doesn't mean that you can't travel to lots of interesting and enjoyable places. As the inimitable Joaquin Suave once said, you'll get into all sorts of "manageable trouble" with 2WD.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
2WD without a locker or limited slip is at the bottom of the trail runner's totem pole. You'll need to be extra careful, and it will be best to travel with another vehicle so your buddy can pull you out of the ditch.

But that doesn't mean that you can't travel to lots of interesting and enjoyable places. As the inimitable Joaquin Suave once said, you'll get into all sorts of "manageable trouble" with 2WD.

Such an eloquent way of saying that the places you will get stuck will be relatively benign and accessible. Love it!

WildBill

Observer
last truck before this one was a 2004 Z71

DSCF0663.jpg

Specs:
5.3 V8
6" Rough Country
3" Body Lift
4.88 gears
35" mudders
14 Bolt Semi Floater Swap w/ disc brake conversion
Lock Rite Locker
2" AAL
Cobra CB

I replaced hubs and CV axles on that think right and left. I loved it but it was a horrid daily driver. it road like crap (dont ever buy rough country!!) and spun 2400 rpm at 70mph. so if i put 35k+ miles on it a year think of my gas bill!!! so when i went back to college i wasn't gunna let my parents pay the bill on that. when i needed tires that was my breaking point. so now i drive what ya see up top. its all i could afford on what i make with a warranty.

Binksman

Observer
Prior to my current rig, I only had 2wd trucks (didn't need them south of the snow belt) and I still took them places many 4wd drivers wouldn't. Did I get stuck? Oh yeah :) But that's part of the fun for many, and in 2wd you probably aren't getting so stuck someone can't help you out.

The lessons I'll pass on though (in no order)
1) Locker in the back.
2) Good traction tires, not necessarily mud, but definitely something that will dig if needed and with enough traction to help on ice (if thats something you need to worry about)
3) SOLID recovery points- atleast two up front and one out back.
4) a winch mounted to a hitch bar so you can move it from front to back. If you get stuck in 2wd you'll probably just want to go back the way you came, but you can more easily move obstacles and help others with a winch in the front.

Nice looking truck!

Mr. Moore

Observer
I have a 2wd truck That i am slowly (as money permits) building up to do some expo up here in the NW. You would be surprised what a 2wd truck can do.

strange

Observer
got any more on the demise of the true track?
Thinking about buying one soon and just curious what you did to kill it

WildBill

Observer
sorry for the late reply. i haven't sent it into warranty yet so i don't have a word from them yet. i really don't beat too hard on my stuff but i have been known to "make it or break it". i think the clutches inside failed, myself. but who knows. everyone else i talk to says the Tru Trac is the way to go and cant understand why mine broke. ME EITHER. .... i think a detroit will be my next attempt. a true locker not a LSD

ben2go

Adventurer
Prior to my current rig, I only had 2wd trucks (didn't need them south of the snow belt) and I still took them places many 4wd drivers wouldn't. Did I get stuck? Oh yeah :) But that's part of the fun for many, and in 2wd you probably aren't getting so stuck someone can't help you out.

The lessons I'll pass on though (in no order)
1) Locker in the back.
2) Good traction tires, not necessarily mud, but definitely something that will dig if needed and with enough traction to help on ice (if thats something you need to worry about)
3) SOLID recovery points- atleast two up front and one out back.
4) a winch mounted to a hitch bar so you can move it from front to back. If you get stuck in 2wd you'll probably just want to go back the way you came, but you can more easily move obstacles and help others with a winch in the front.

Nice looking truck!

Same here.

Shorter wheel base 4x2 rigs do better than long wheel base rigs,usually.I know this sounds counter intuitive,but aggressive tires and a locker will get you most places a 4x4 will with the same ride height and tire size.Yes,you will be winching a little more.Off road experience will get you out of trouble when most noobs with a 4x4 are pulling their hair out.It really p!$$3$ them off when a 4x2 drives around them. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78