New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Clutch

<---Pass
Has anyone that makes campers had access to these trucks yet? Curious if any sort of mini campers will be coming about. I have been daydreaming about a Scrambler with a popup lately. Maybe I should hold out a while and have a brand new iteration :)

I am sure Four Wheel Camper, or All Terrain Camper would fit right away. OVRLND could build you one....might be awhile before Vagabond or GoFast has something, seems like they are still playing catchup with all the Tacoma orders.

lancaster-JeepBrute-A1.jpg

AT Probably has something in the works too.

Unknown12.jpg

images34.jpg

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
I agree with everything you said about the marketing side. I believe i mentioned that I'm sure there were meetings to decide if it was worth it. I'm sure the answer wasn't, "we can't do it". The answer was, "we don't need to do it".

But what i don't think you're getting is the nature of some crash test requirements. It's not about the chassis being weak in any way.

For example...
The amount of power in an engine would make no difference at all in a pedestrian safety test. Only the physical size and packaging of it. The Grands have a larger engine bay with more crumple space around that bigger engine. The wrangler is lacking that space. This same thing may apply to "passenger compartment intrusion" tests. Those are just two that come to my mind right away

Pedestrian safety is a fairly new set of standards, and one that bothered me as to how they appeared. Please forgive an even further off topic ramble...
Has anyone noticed the front of most passenger cars, in particular Hondas and Toyotas, seem much more upright and taller than they were a decade ago? Honda even developed a pedestrian crash test facility. At the time, their ideology was to make the front of the car low, to keep from buckling a pedestrian in half and driving them under the vehicle...

But European car styling doesn't really lend itself to that method. So the Europeans preempted everything by creating their own standards before Honda's then new facility could really start publishing test results.

Those standards basically say there must be a big enough space cushion around the engine so when a pedestrian is hit, the sheet metal must have plenty of crumple space to absorb the bodies force, before that body hits the very solid engine components under the skin.

This, of course, lent itself very well to the upright grills and high hoodlines of the euro cars. It also forced everyone who wanted to sell cars in euro union to comply with the new standard.

Just because of its styling, the wrangler had never really had a lot of room inside its engine bay. You can imagine how much less room the front area would have if the engine were 6 or so inches closer to the radiator. That's the end of any crumple space.

If you remember, the JL had to have a longer engine bay just to fit the new 8 speed automatic transmission necessary for the diesel option. Now think what would be required to add an extra pair of cylinders too.

But yeah, we're WAY OFF off topic now. It's just my opinion that the guy was being honest in his statement.

Comparing a GC and Wrangler side by side, the Wrangler has more room in the engine bay, and more room between the engine and hood, not the opposite. Even with the v6 the GC engine compartment is crammed full and the engine sits further under the cowl, not so in the Wrangler.

https://goo.gl/images/kA9Rrt

https://goo.gl/images/nGCHVD

Pay attention to where the cylinder heads are - you can't even see them in the Wrangler where they're pretty close to the hood in the GC. The Wrangler has room to mount the alternator right up front, no room for that in the GC.

I think it's on topic - discussing why the Gladiator doesn't get a v8.

SheepnJeep

I am sure Four Wheel Camper, or All Terrain Camper would fit right away. OVRLND could build you one....might be awhile before Vagabond or GoFast has something, seems like they are still playing catchup with all the Tacoma orders.

lancaster-JeepBrute-A1.jpg

AT Probably has something in the works too.

View attachment 502104

View attachment 502105

I think the platform would work pretty decently with a camper. Heck look at all the Land Rover setups with four doors, short bed, and a tent. Have your jeep and camp it too. I'll be looking forward to what campers come along in the coming years.

Also, not to be really snarky here but the Gladiator isn't getting a V8 because someone has figured out they will make the most profit with a V6 for whatever reasons. That is my theory any ways. I think a huge majority of car buyers this day in age don't give one flying flip about what is under the hood and so manufacturers just go for the bottom line. In fact I know that is the case.

That's the way she goes boys!

richmondbob

Adventurer
My Jeep Yj was reliable as well. Because it had nothing. No AC. No auto trans. No power windows. No windows.

But the auto trans models and auto xj's had a nearly 100% failure rate. And the rear axle was made out of wood. Soft wood. Not sure that I want a new Jeep?

My '95 YJ on 35s, FF HPD30, RR D44, 4" lift keeps rolling along for just that reason. But damnnn that Gladiator looks good - just not sure we could part with our '97 Landcruiser 80-series.

richmondbob

Adventurer
Three things that would make the Gladiator damn near perfect as a daily driver, weekend adventurer, family fun ride.

1. The JEEP logo stamped into the tailgate, just like the original J-trucks including the Gladiator...

2. A bed extender / ramp similar to this for loading dirt bikes, ATVs, etc

3. Rack for three dirt bikes (keeps the outside two bikes forward facing and the middle bike rear facing to accommodate handlebars, tanks, etc)

*can't find the image of the Gladiator offroad with the dirt bikes in the bed - that shot showed the space is there for a third bike (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman